Kydex holster for hds

hemi1300

Newly Enlightened
Anyone tried one directly from hds? Interested in one for my edc executive but wanted to hear some opinions first. Any other good custom kydex holsters for hds light out there?

TRiley

Newly Enlightened
Yes I have one I ordered it with my rotary 200 from HDS. And it is very nice great fit your light will not fall out even upside-down. It's very well made and small enough not to get in the way but easy to get to. I am very happy with mine.

hemi1300

Newly Enlightened
I'm assuming hds normally has the holsters in stock and can ship them right out. May call today an check

OCD

Enlightened
If you don't like the bulk or need the adjustable positioning of the HDS holster, check out the Kytex Vertical Surefire Carrier from Kytex Shooting Gear. I got one for my 200 clicky and love it...and they're only $15. It's been super durable and retains the light great. I was able to add more retension by heating mine with a hairdrier and bending it slightly. I've only had my light fall out once due to my own stupidity...I put the light in the holster upside down (from the bottom) and then put the holster on the correct way. I was out shopping and felt something hit my leg and then the ground. It was my light falling out after out and about shopping at several stores.

OCD

Enlightened
Anyone tried any products (more specifically holsters) from Force Tech? I'm sad to report that my Kytex Shooting gear holster has developed fatal cracks in the bend that forms the clip. :sigh: I really liked it. I'm contemplating buying another one at the risk of it failing too versus finding a potentially more durable alternative.

Force Tech makes kydex mag holders as well as Surefire and HDS holsters. Their holsters seem similar to the HDS holster in that the tension can be adjusted. They have various optoins like canted or vertical, right or left hand carry, belt size and attachment method as well as various colors.

I will probably order one in the next couple of days as I'm truly lost without my HDS on my belt...it currently has to reside clipped in my weak side front pocket as my edc knife gets the strong side.

Any who.....if anyone has any experience with this company or their products, I'd like to know what you think of them.

Thx.

Last edited:

hatman

Enlightened
Tried to check out the kydex holsters on the HDS site but there are no photos and the "details" link didn't work on either of the two models (one for dress belts and one for wider belts, both $50.)

OCD

Enlightened
Tried to check out the kydex holsters on the HDS site but there are no photos and the "details" link didn't work on either of the two models (one for dress belts and one for wider belts, both $50.)

Try the HDS home page. Currently, there's a picture and description of the holster just below the "How tough is the EDC Tactical?" photo and description.

OCD

Enlightened
Holster update............

I went ahead and ordered a holster from Force Tech. It arrived today and I really like it. I think it will be a very durable holster. I like the tension adjustment. The other thing I really like about it over the holsters offered by HDS is that it has an open bottom. I like this for 2 reasons:
#1, It allows you (or anyone around you) to see if you light has been turned on while hostered (my love handles have turned my light on when bending to the side a few times!). I have the button lock activated, but i don't always turn it on. Reason #2 is that it allows me to click the light on while holstered to light up the ground to see were I'm walking when my hands are full. I use this almost every morning when leaving for work after turning out the lights so I can lock the front door.

Anyways....for anyone looking for a good holster with several color and clip options, I will go out on a limb and recommend Force Tech. I ordered mine in carbon fiber. It's not a listed color, but I emailed them and they said they would make one a no additional charge - I just had to note carbon fiber in the notes section when ordering.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
"Christians Custom Kydex" do nice work too (CLBME on CPFMP)

i have one of his sheaths for my V10R, and it is very nicely made, with good retention.

mthayr

Newly Enlightened
Very cool options here. Out of curiosity, anyone using one of these holsters with a clicky - with the clip attached? I saw on Force Tech's page one picture on a clicky with the stock clip attached, but I'm wondering how having a larger clip (Modoo or Prometheus) might affect holster carry.

OCD

Enlightened
Very cool options here. Out of curiosity, anyone using one of these holsters with a clicky - with the clip attached? I saw on Force Tech's page one picture on a clicky with the stock clip attached, but I'm wondering how having a larger clip (Modoo or Prometheus) might affect holster carry.

My clicky has a Modoo SST clip on it. I had concerns about how the light would holster with it myself. Turns out its doesn't effect re-holstering at all. I just make sure turn I the clip to the rear (towards the holster's tension screws) so it makes it nearly impossible to catch on anything.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So does anybody have any long-term experience with Kydex holsters? Do they loosen up over time, or is Kydex some special synthetic material that resists stretching like leather? I'd really hate for my light to suddenly slip out one day without my noticing.

OCD

Enlightened
I had my 1st holster just shy of 2 years. It was designed so that it didn't wrap all the way around the light...in a "C" shape. When I got it, I thought it was a tat on the loose side so I heated it with a hair dryer and formed it closed a little more so it was a tighter fit. I never noticed it loosening up over the time I had it, up until the clip broke.

The version I have now, much like the design of Henry's, wrap all the way around the light and are shaped like a "P". There are screws and rubber spacers that allow you to adjust the amount of tension to your liking. I've only had this holster for 2 months, but expect many, many years of service from it based on my experience of my 1st holster.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
So does anybody have any long-term experience with Kydex holsters? Do they loosen up over time, or is Kydex some special synthetic material that resists stretching like leather? I'd really hate for my light to suddenly slip out one day without my noticing.

Anything will eventually wear over time. However, as I type this, my EDC handgun is in a Kydex holster I bought in 1998, and which has seen daily use for many years. Most good Kydex designs use tension screws, so you can set the level of retention to your preference. You do have to pay attention to the tension screws, since they can loosen over time.

Ej Breeze

Newly Enlightened
I bought a HDS holster years ago. Best holster for my light ever made. Now they are made by Force Tech. After 2 months of waiting and broken promises I had to ask for a refund after I requested a ship date or I would take the matter to paypal. They made the refund. I would suggest anyone to lock down a shipping date before purchasing and then make them stick to it. Just my two cents.
2tdyIkG

2tdyIkG

slumber

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a HDS holster years ago. Best holster for my light ever made. Now they are made by Force Tech. After 2 months of waiting and broken promises I had to ask for a refund after I requested a ship date or I would take the matter to paypal. They made the refund. I would suggest anyone to lock down a shipping date before purchasing and then make them stick to it. Just my two cents.
2tdyIkG

2tdyIkG

You waited two months for a holster from ForceTech? I have one now and have been thinking of getting a canted version from them. Quality on my standard FT model is great.