Multitool Recommendation

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Hello, this is my first post outside the light section, but I was hoping I could get a little advice on what multitool to hint at for a Christmas present...

I currently carry a SAK Workchamp with me at all times, but it's recently been brought to my attention that it's not legal in a public place over here due to the locking blade. We are pretty remote here so that doesn't bother me too much, but it's also starting to show its age and the plastic sides are falling off after one too many falls. So, I'm after something which has similar features, but is more rugged and without the locking blade (although this was useful and I still shudder when I think of a nasty injury I got when a newly sharpened blade folded up on me).

Features I want are:
Knife
Saw
File
Pliers
Bottle opener
Corkscrew
Various screwdrivers
Scissors
Wire cutters

I'm looking at the Leatherman Juice XE6, which seems to fit that bill perfectly, but are there any other options to consider? And is it considered more durable than a typical SAK? An all metal construction would seem to be better in that respect. If only the Leatherman Surge came with a corkscrew, as that looks stronger!

Maximum size would need to be around 4" to make it pocketable, and I wouldn't want anything requiring a holster. I don't want this to become a 'which make is best' thread, but would like to find out what good quality choices there are which fit my specific requirements. Ideally if part of it fails, I'd like it to be repairable, as because of who it will be from, it will have sentimental value and would not be thrown away if it breaks.

Thanks in advance.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Mat! Looking through the features you need, the only tool that have all them is the Juice SE6. Only the Juice series has the corkscrew. SAK or Leatherman Multitool - depends on what you need and preference.

In case you're not aware, the Surge is about 4.5" closed & about 335g, whereas the Juice SE6 is about 3.25" closed & about 190g. Make no mistake, the Surge is a much bigger tool. As you've correctly pointed out, what's 'best' is subjective. I would suggest you have an actual feel of the Multitools (be they SAK, LM, Gerber) in the stores.

Personally, I've had more experience with LM products. I just love my Charge TTi. The tool is built like a tank (but is not too heavy) and the S30V blade is great. You might want to check out the Multitool.org Forum. There's usually lively SAK and LM crowd there.

Jonathan

CRKT Eat'N Tool XL | CRKT Tool | Leatherman Style CS | Leatherman Skeletool CX | Leatherman Charge TTi | Leatherman Raptor | True Utility Scarab | True Utility SporKnife

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really, really like my Leatherman Wingman. Check it out and see if it meets your requirements. The pocket clip is a nice touch so you don't have to use a pouch.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
As you are in Wales have a look at the stuff in Heinnie,they are based in South Wales and top folk to deal with,surf the net and you will find there site as links are not allowed here.

mat_the_cat

Newly Enlightened
Cheers for the advice guys. I did notice the extra weight/size of the Surge, which coupled with the lack of a corkscrew is probably one compromise too many. Seems like relatively few multitools come with a corkscrew - maybe I should cut back on the wine?

Mcnair55, do you know anywhere here in North Wales which has a decent range? I'm thinking of looking in Betws y Coed (Cotswold) as although they don't do the Juice, it may at least let me get a feel for the quality. Sadly Heinnie is around 4 hours away, but an interesting site :thumbsup:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers for the advice guys. I did notice the extra weight/size of the Surge, which coupled with the lack of a corkscrew is probably one compromise too many. Seems like relatively few multitools come with a corkscrew - maybe I should cut back on the wine?

Mcnair55, do you know anywhere here in North Wales which has a decent range? I'm thinking of looking in Betws y Coed (Cotswold) as although they don't do the Juice, it may at least let me get a feel for the quality. Sadly Heinnie is around 4 hours away, but an interesting site :thumbsup:

Heinnie is mail order and quick as well,usually next day. Any of the outdoor places are always worth a try, you could try ABC Marine in Anglesey as i get my Fenix lights there.

horizonearth

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's a real shame that your knife or multi-tool can't have a locking blade. As you stated - you can sustain fairly serious injuries when a blade closes on your fingers.

Personally, I carry a Leatherman wave.

Last year I met my brother for the first time. We are full brothers (both parents). I was born in 1961 and he in 1963. In any case, he presented me with a gift of a combination set with a Leatherman Wave and a Leatherman LGX-200 flashlight and holster.

I would say that I have used both for one thing or another at least every day. They are part of my everyday EDC equipment. It does not have a corkscrew, but I believe it fits your other criteria.

It has easy 'outside' access to the regular trailing point blade, file, wood saw and serrated sheepsfoot blade. It is incredibly solid but not too heavy, and fits well in the hand. With minimal practice you can access these four tools instantly. Seemingly the only rub would be the two locking blades. They use liner locks and I'm wondering if there might not be a way to disable this on the cutting blades without compromising the integrity of the tool itself.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the tool that is just right for you.

Mike

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, it's a real shame that your knife or multi-tool can't have a locking blade. As you stated - you can sustain fairly serious injuries when a blade closes on your fingers.

Personally, I carry a Leatherman wave.

Last year I met my brother for the first time. We are full brothers (both parents). I was born in 1961 and he in 1963. In any case, he presented me with a gift of a combination set with a Leatherman Wave and a Leatherman LGX-200 flashlight and holster.

I would say that I have used both for one thing or another at least every day. They are part of my everyday EDC equipment. It does not have a corkscrew, but I believe it fits your other criteria.

It has easy 'outside' access to the regular trailing point blade, file, wood saw and serrated sheepsfoot blade. It is incredibly solid but not too heavy, and fits well in the hand. With minimal practice you can access these four tools instantly. Seemingly the only rub would be the two locking blades. They use liner locks and I'm wondering if there might not be a way to disable this on the cutting blades without compromising the integrity of the tool itself.

I wish you the best of luck in finding the tool that is just right for you.

Mike

You are replying to a 2013 post,pretty sure the op is sorted by now lol