AA Weapon Light

rod

Newly Enlightened
Hey folks

I'm looking for a weapon light for my long gun. I'd prefer something a little more floodish than a pinpoint beam of light.

I'd also like it to run off a common battery that I can get for free at work (AA comes to mind) and be either 1" or 30mm in diameter.

I'm not a big fan of strobes or multiple output type lights, and it needs to either support a pressure switch or have a tail cap on/off switch.

I have several mounts already so I'm not necessarily looking for a dedicated weapon light, more something that I can put on it when I need it.

I've looked at several Fenix lights as well as an Olight M20, but they all run off of a CR123, which to me doesn't make sense as I have to find the batteries for them.

Thanks

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Hey folks

I'm looking for a weapon light for my long gun. I'd prefer something a little more floodish than a pinpoint beam of light.

I'd also like it to run off a common battery that I can get for free at work (AA comes to mind) and be either 1" or 30mm in diameter.

I'm not a big fan of strobes or multiple output type lights, and it needs to either support a pressure switch or have a tail cap on/off switch.

I have several mounts already so I'm not necessarily looking for a dedicated weapon light, more something that I can put on it when I need it.

I've looked at several Fenix lights as well as an Olight M20, but they all run off of a CR123, which to me doesn't make sense as I have to find the batteries for them.

Thanks

The std 1" weapon mount is 1" because that's about the diameter of all the CR123 and 18650 flashlights.

An AA tube is skinnier than a 123 tube.

Also, in emergencies, after a disaster for example, the first cells that the great unwashed sweep from the shelves are all the common cells...AAA, AA, C, D, 9v lantern cells - all gone.

What's left are the CR123 and 9v transistor batteries, garage door batteries, button cells, etc...that most people don't have flashlights for....so they ignore them.

So, FOR emergencies, ironically, the most common cells are hard to find...at least in stores after the rush.

If you get a light that takes rechargeables, you don't have to worry about finding batteries, you just re-use the ones you have over and over.

Also, for any given size of a light, it can be brighter and run longer with the lithium ion rechargeables. By a LOT.

Now, depending on the type of use, a teeny amount of light for a short time might be enough...but, you'd need to use a mount that can squeeze down to the skinny AA sized tube.

The range you want to be able to identify a target out to will become important, especially if you want a floody beam, as it takes a LOT more light to flood an area than to make a small circle of light on part of it.

How far away do you need to resolve what?

rod

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input.

I have a essentially unlimited supply of AA, AAA, D and C cell batteries, so I'm not super worried about running out in an emergency.

I'm looking for something that will light up a room, maybe a bit beyond that if need be.

I currently have a TK15 mounted on one AR and a TLR-1 on my pistol but I wanted to see if anyone could recommend a good AA battery light so I can make use of the free batteries I do have access to.

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I'm not aware of any AA tactical lights- likely because of the poor performance of alkaline AA cells relative to lithium-primary (disposable) and lithium-ion (rechargeable) cells. All that comes to mind that comes close to your requirements is Tac-Star - they make bushings to adapt AA lights to common weapon mounts.

A large portion of the tubular-format LED tactical lights on the market that take 123A cells will happily run on rechargeable 18650 cells. I have a TK22 on an AR-15 that uses 18650s whenever I practice with it, otherwise I leave 123A's in it should something go bump in the night.

Z-Tab

Enlightened
You might want to look at a Surefire G3/9P with a Malkoff M31. 3xCR123 lights have the same length as 2xAA lights. With a spacer (probably want to go delrin instead of cardboard, given the potential high heat coming off the gun), you get a 2xAA light that will fit a 1" mount and do exactly what you're looking for.

Dthoreson81

Newly Enlightened
You could run 2 x AA or 14500 in a surefire m961 if you'd like. Just get something to make the inside diameter of the light smaller so the batteries are snug and centered.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
You didn't mention a budget, but the Surefire M600AA-DSS Scout Light runs on 2xAA primaries. The head is a tight spotlight thrower, but you can swap that for something else - the Malkoff E1 scout head, for example. Or an E2C adapter + bezel that you can frost and make your own diffuser.

Keep in mind, the Surefire mount is anywhere from $190 to almost $300. The E1 Scout head is $90. So you'll get a rock-solid AA weapon light, but you'll pay for it.

cowboyarcher

Newly Enlightened
It's an old thread, but check out the Maglite XL lights. 3x AAA in a 1" diameter body.