Bright Gu10 bulbs?

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
Hi folks,

Does anyone have any suggestions for bright MR16 Gu10 bulbs? I'm looking for something that could replace a 50watt halogen. Our au pairs leave the lights on all the time, and we're burning out bulbs left-and-right (never mind the energy waste). Most "50-watt equivalents" don't seem to be be 50-watt equivalent (e.g. 450-500 lumens), and instead are closer to a 30-watt equivalent (Philips, Ecosmart). The new Soraas look like they might fit the bill, but they are not out yet (and are pricey).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i didn't find one, i tried may be 10 different, but none was either close to light output 50w halogens make, not to mention some burned drivers within days.

you can use gu10 to e27 adapter and use regular base screw in led bulbs, they seem to be brighter, but bigger. i wanted to do that, and i tried and it works however, in my case, they stick too much from out of glass portion of the light that normaly swollows mr16 bulb, my better half did not like the way they looked so i left halogens in place. , (good thing my el cost is included in maintanace,)

MattPete

Newly Enlightened
I'm debating throwing away the fixture. It's an Ikea fixture that the previous owner installed and it uses 3 Gu10 Mr16 bulbs. Frankly, I was never thrilled with the light -- it's too directional for general lighting and blinding for anything but ceiling or wall-washing. Also, those tiny bulbs run hot (and are not cheap, for an incandescent), and we go through several a year.

It's something like this: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70230804/

On the one hand, replacing the lamps with 500 lumen LEDs would save a lot of energy and a lot of money in replacement bulbs (assuming they last as long as their claim). On the other hand, the upfront cost is steep. Soraa seems to be coming out with the only decent bulbs (but I saw some Feit's relabeled Utilitechs for Lowes that claim 500 lumens for 8.5 watts), but that's almost $90 for three bulbs ($25+shipping for the 3 Utilitechs, even more for the Soraas). Also, some Led MR16s have objectionable glare from the side (e.g. Ecosmart/Lighting Science) and are only useful if they are pointing away from you.

For the same price as 3 gu10 bulbs, I could get one of these (see link below), which has 2200 lumen: http://www.lowes.com/pd_442144-7577...e&pl=1&currentURL=?Ntt=led+fixture&facetInfo=

work_permit

Newly Enlightened
I'm using the soraa vivid 2 gu10 bulbs, and am very happy with them. The 3k version is a close cct match to 50 watt halogens, and to my my are roughly as bright as a (somewhat aged)halogen bulb. It is high cri and high R90. It seems to have less green then a hologen. Subjectively I find it to throw a more pleasing light then halogen.

angerdan

Enlightened

ssanasisredna

Enlightened
I do wonder why you'd first recommend trusted brands and then the opposite...

Well I am sure including "Saving Light Bulbs" in the trusted brands list had absolutely nothing to do with shilling for Saving Light Bulbs ... nope nothing at all. Comes up twice in 6 posts ... nope, couldn't be a correlation.

angerdan

Enlightened
I just want to keep it for curious readers, that all the bulbs at saving-light-bulbs are far away from trusted brands, quality and endurance.
Even 10 years ago there has been much better led bulbs.