Is a Mac's light worth it?

puinsai

Enlightened
I'm reading all the threads on this Forum that pertain to Mac's lights and the common theme is.....
i ordered and rec'd my 1st light from Mac in less than three months (I'm lucky compared to what I have been reading). I did send him multiple communications with zero responses from Mac. I had some serious concerns but again I ended up being a lucky one. I like my brass tri edc plenty but I have serious concerns as to what I'm reading about my fellow forum Mates on their experiences with Mac.
What can we do to help our fellow forum Mates get their orders filled?
GREAT LIGHTS SHOULD NOT = DEPLORABLE CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know how folks should go about getting current orders filled but at this point I certainly wouldn't attempt to order a new light from him. Buy used instead.

I have two damascus Tri-EDCs, a copper Tri-EDC, an aluminum Tri-EDC, a titanium XM-L EDC, and a Mac's 3300L. I think this qualifies me as being a HUGE fan of Mac's work but nowadays there is no way I'd try to buy other Mac light new.

gonefishing

Enlightened
Well, I ordered one on Saturday. I knew it was risky and the lead times are Long. However, to me it is worth it and I have a plan if I don't receive my light in a timely manner. The PayPal window for filing a grievance is one of them along with the credit card company that I used to make the purchase. I didn't use my bank account as a direct pmt. I took all this into consideration before ordering, doesn't make me feel good that I have to plan in such a way, but I am hoping that
with patience and some luck, I'll have my copper Tri in a few months.

I don't know how folks should go about getting current orders filled but at this point I certainly wouldn't attempt to order a new light from him. Buy used instead.

I have two damascus Tri-EDCs, a copper Tri-EDC, an aluminum Tri-EDC, a titanium XM-L EDC, and a Mac's 3300L. I think this qualifies me as being a HUGE fan of Mac's work but nowadays there is no way I'd try to buy other Mac light new.

jkid1911

Enlightened
I think you'll be ok, but then again I've been known to be unjustifiably optimistic......good luck. Keep us posted!

tripham

Newly Enlightened
Yes! His lights are worth it if you are willing to wait and be active in sending him reminders when appropriate. I recently dealt with Mac in a situation where the 6 weeks had pasted and no light. I continued to emailed him and after a frustrating month I did get the light. It's an odd situation that I've never dealt with before. I think he means well but can be "forgetful", as he puts it, but he is not out to cheat you or steal your money. Again, be patient, remind him of your wait time if it has gone past the 6 weeks and he will deliver. Good luck with the order.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Mac is a one man show with wife and kids and a "real" job. I know he doesn't have great CS. But really his lights are popular for a reason, his attention to detail rivals top end custom flashlights anywhere.

A lot of demand along with lots of orders, with one already busy man making them= Unhappy customers. If he answered emails all day telling people when their lights would be completed, he would probably use up that days "flashlight time".

I do not have a dog in this fight, just an observation. :D

nbp

Flashaholic
A lot of demand along with lots of orders, with one already busy man making them= Unhappy customers. If he answered emails all day telling people when their lights would be completed, he would probably use up that days "flashlight time".

No offense to you PSM, I enjoy your posts, so take this as a criticism to the post, not you. :)

I have seen these arguments plenty of times before and I don't buy them at all. There are loads of things Mac could do to alleviate these "problems".

For example, he could make lights as he has time and then sell finished lights rather than take dozens of custom orders he can't actually complete punctually. That would be simpler and is the approach many of our modders and builders take...for good reason. It's low stress and negates tons of problems!

I have also heard the bit about him needing to answer email questions over and over and not having the time to build lights then. Once again, a thoughtfully laid out website or thread here in his own blasted subforum with ALL available options and prices listed in one central location would alleviate dozens of questions! An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure - a few hours organizing information would save countless hours of email questions. I can't count all the times people have asked about options/prices/availability etc. here because they weren't even listed on the order page on his site!

I think the fact that Mac has not posted in his own subforum in months should tell you what you need to know. He's all but checked out. It's a shame, but it's years in the making. I don't think it's too late to correct things since lots of us do still love his lights but it would take a radical change in his business approach to right this ship. :shrug:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Good points for sure. :)

While there is certainly room for improvement, I think 90% of people who order from Mac know his reputation from a CS perspective before hand.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
Macs lights are totally worth it.
Y'all be to harsh. Custom anything takes time. Give the master a break.
All the negativity made the guy shutdown his website. Thanks, I just pray that mac isn't to burnt out and getting out of the flashlight game.

Last edited:

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes just checked it out, he has taken his website down. Hopefully he's not going to call it quits. I totally understand getting burnt out with work and feeling overwhelmed though. Take a break Mac, I hope all is well.

callmaster

Enlightened
He just modified the first page to say that he won't take any orders till he catches up on back orders and that he can be contacted on his paypal email address. Every other link still works, etc. I wouldn't panic and assume he's going out of business.

Anyway, good that he's taking steps to remedy the back orders, etc.

Last edited: