Seeking more runtime?

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
Hello fellow flashaholics.
I have a Xml EDC 2.8 amp driver. I want to get more runtime out of a battery. My questions are,
How much light would I be loosing if I got a 1.4 amp driver? With a 1.4 amp driver would a smaller led be more efficient? like a Nicha 219 or xpg and would the reflector in the xml-edc be suitable for a Nicha 219?

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XM-L will work just fine at 1.4a. I would suggest having the unit you have reprogrammed to have a 1-1.4a setting while keeping the 2.8a setting. You would be surprised how much perceived light it will put out at 1.4a. A light meter will show a reduction of almost half between 2.8 and 1.4 but your eyes will tell you that it's only a 20% drop.

How about a 5 level programming something like...

5ma
80ma
400ma
1200ma (that's 1.2a)
2800m

Or 4 levels like this...

Also, have your cells checked to make sure they are still up to snuff or buy new ones if you don't have the means to do that. I'd go with AW IMR18350s. The new Kinoko IMR18350s look very promising as well according to HKJ's testing.

Last edited:

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
So I just got a Ti knurly and have been using it for the past 2 weeks. The batterys are lasting so much longer. Why is a triple more efficient than a single?

IsaacL

Enlightened
So I just got a Ti knurly and have been using it for the past 2 weeks. The batterys are lasting so much longer. Why is a triple more efficient than a single?

I believe the technical term is "LED efficiency droop." Emitters are more efficient at lower current. Thus, when the power is divided across the emitters to get the same lumen output, less power is used.

whateatsrabbits

Newly Enlightened
I believe the technical term is "LED efficiency droop." Emitters are more efficient at lower current. Thus, when the power is divided across the emitters to get the same lumen output, less power is used.

Thank you much.