Grrr - theft replacement suggestions...

mhpreston

Enlightened
Hi All: I've been offline a bit quietly enjoying my lights and gadgets, when the other day I noticed some change for parking missing from my car. I thought I was imagining things until I realised my nearly new Leatherman Wave (black) and my Petzyl Zipka with cover were both gone from my glove compartment! I must have left the car unlocked at some stage in error so completely my own dumb fault. Oddly, my new Nitecore SRT7 was overlooked, as was the satnav. Anyway, I am thinking about a Skeletool and the 2014 Zipka as replacements. Any other suggestions (apart from a new brain, of course)?

mhpreston

Enlightened
The charge does look good - I'm just hanging back from spending £130 on a multitool to have in the car. I lost nearly £100 on the Wave :-(

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The charge does look good - I'm just hanging back from spending £130 on a multitool to have in the car. I lost nearly £100 on the Wave :-(

Another option is to get an inexpensive Gerber Multi-tool to keep in your car. Not ideal for heavy use. But a good one in terms of price and occasional use.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
..nearly new Leatherman Wave (black) ... gone from my glove compartment! ... I am thinking about a Skeletool ... as replacements. Any other suggestions (apart from a new brain, of course)?

I prefer the Leatherman Rebar to the Skeletool, though I own both. The only advantage I see in the Skeletool is that is has a larger knife blade which is faster to deploy.

The Rebar's pliers, wire cutters, and screwdrivers are superior and I find the Rebar more comfortable to hold.

sadtimes

Enlightened
Get another wave, they rock, pick up a used one on ebay or the marketplace

mhpreston

Enlightened
Son of a B@tch!! I only just put the new stuff in my car and it went again!! This time Police called as someone seems to be able to defeat the keyless entry on my new car...

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Son of a B@tch!! I only just put the new stuff in my car and it went again!! This time Police called as someone seems to be able to defeat the keyless entry on my new car...

Sounds as though you're being spoecifically targeted by someone. Possibly in the neighborhood. Best not to keep anything in your car for now. Put it in a Go-Bag kept near the front door. Toss the bag in before setting out, and take it out when you get home.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Thanks Mono and I'm going to do that. Any thoughts on a go bag? Just ordered the Charge TTI and another 2014 model Zipka. Plus replacement Bolle Sunglasses, which went as well. It's the tech being deployed here which worries me. They left the Nitecore SRT7 and Garmin SatNav again!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'd look at something inexpensive, in terms of bags, that are locally available. As long as it's not flimsy, but all your gear can fit inside. I use the XL-BOB from County Comm as the main bag in my trunk. Fits everything I want to carry, and has room left over. (I think that's important. You don't want a bag that is stuffed to the gills because you went with a smaller size, and then literally have no room to add anything else if needed.)

Though that bag is around $40 and County Comm customer service has deteriorated very badly. Very badly....

LA Police Gear does offer a similar bag that is often discounted to $20. But I have no clue if the quality is as good as the County Comm one.

Looking back, I'd likely get a good North face back-pack as my Go Bag. (Perhaps the Recon model due to not only having shoulder straps but a waist strap as well.) If something happens and you need to grab your Go Bag out of your car, carrying around a (most likely) heavy bag across one shoulder is going to become a pain in the butt really fast. Still, a bag with one shoulder strap is an option. A good canvas Messenger Bag is a nice cheap option, depending on the gear you plan to carry. I've got the Rothco model myself. While the brand's products tend to be Hit or Miss (more miss than hit), their O.D. green canvas Messenger Bag is quite good and far from expensive. But I'd still check out bags and packs from local sporting goods stores, first.

Hope this helped.

mhpreston

Enlightened
Yes it does - thanks again. I checked out Maxpeditipn on the Internet last night and was surprised at what they retail for here in the UK.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yes it does - thanks again. I checked out Maxpeditipn on the Internet last night and was surprised at what they retail for here in the UK.

Happy to help.

I expect there was some unfortunate sticker-shock regarding prices.

Sad to say, I have three Maxpedition items; and all were not worth it. Sloppy stitching, poor attention to detail, and overall very poor customer service. One universal flashlight/ASP baton holster, one day-pack, and one pocket organizer. Just not an overall feeling of quality. Especially for the asking-price. (And that's in U.S. dollars.)

Hate being the bearer of bad news. But my limited experience with them made me decide to look elsewhere when I decided I needed a Go Bag for my car.

dss_777

Enlightened
I'd imagine that any decent camping supply store near you would carry any number of bags that would do. I'd go for simple, sturdy, and non-descript. It'd suck for that new blingy looking bag itself gets some thiefs attention.

Maybe wrap it in a well-used fast food or paper bag for urban camoflague?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Good point, you don't want a bag that stands out. A fully loaded up tactical bag with MOLLE attachment points all over the place is going to stand out in some places.

inetdog

Enlightened
The most current hack of keyless entry systems attacks the deliberate range limitation of the key proximity detector.
The would be thief just walks down the street carrying a high power repeater for the car transmission and listens for a car to unlock if the owner is within ~200 feet.
Only countermeasure is to shield your key fob as you would an RFID device.