TK75 vs TM26... Convince me!

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
OK, so ive got some money burning a hole in my pocket and I cant decide which light to throw money at next. I am having an internal struggle on whether to get a Fenix TK75 or Nitecore TM26. I know they arent really a good comparison as they are very different lights, but on amazon, I can get either light with about the same accesories (batteries and such, the tm26 deal doesnt come with a charger but the tk does, so price sorta evens out) for the same price ~290 bucks. I love the TK75 for its throwing ability, but the sheer power of the TM26 makes it all the more appealing. And the TM26 is a lot smaller, has the sweet Oled, built in charging, etc. I feel like my argument is more sided with the tm26, but I know it doesnt have the throw of the Fenix, which I do like. So I come to the experts of CPF once again in search of enlightenment.

PS. This thread really is kind of me trying to warrant getting the tm26... Give me more reasons to buy it (ive read most of the threads on here about the TM26, so I know what im getting), or give me reasons the throw of the tk75 is so much more worth it.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi ritzone :welcome:

If you have not done do, do check out this excellent video review by Patriot:-

(Both lights have since had their lumens bumped up with XM-L2 emitters, but this is still a great comparison video)

Last edited:

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
I have actually watched that video twice lol. And ive also watched his review of just the tm26, which still makes me love it. I honestly think the tm26 is gonna be the winner, but the tk75 is excellent in its own rite.

ven

Flashaholic
tk75vn 4400lm
tk75vn killer throw(de-domed/burnt in)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?374328-WTS-TK75vn-4400L

Thats what i would choose(have chosen)

I dont have a tm26,awesome light at 3800lm,i have the baby tm15 version of which i do love .

imho the tk75 standard form offers a great all round package for flood/throw,then vinhs mods imo excel on a fantastic light.

I decided on dome on 4400lm,not only is it significantly cheaper than the tm26 but also around 600lm higher out put.

Just a thought:twothumbs

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
My husband was in the same boat a week ago and bought a TM26. I don't know what you're planning to use it for but flood usually needed more than throw for most people in most everyday situations. The difference between a little over a 1/4 mile of throw versus a little under a half a mile of throw just wasn't enough for my husband to get the TK75. The smaller TM26 allowed my husband who is a truck driver to forego the need to carry a big, high–power flashlight, and a smaller, more maneuverable flashlight. For jobs where maneuvering a flashlight into small spaces or activities like camping where physical carrying is an issue, The TM26 is better.

Since you like Fenix products, you might want to compare the TK75 to the RC40.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Polargirl,

The RC40 is a monster of a light. Well, since you mentioned it, here's one of my favorite comparison videos from Patriot (In case ritzone is interested):-

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Hi Polargirl,

The RC40 is a monster of a light. Well, since you mentioned it, here's one of my favorite comparison videos from Patriot (In case ritzone is interested):-

I like it better than the TK 75 but not as much as the TM 26. The only video I can find comparing the RC40 with the TM26 was in Russian so I only watched it for the first two minutes. From what I seen, TM26 floods a lot better than the RC40 even if it can't throw as well.

ven

Flashaholic
On the tm26 side,you have volt readings,tripod mount,can charge cells in light.
tk75 good all round light,cheaper,simple UI can get extension/s for longer run times(can also with tm26 but costs a lot more and no choice in changing cells as a sealed unit)
tk75vn same as above but bumped to 4400lm,options of de-dome for more throw(warmer tint)

Tough call,get both!!!:D

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the tripod mount ability of the tm26 is really nice. I feel it would make an excellent makeshift worklight on a tripod and could replace my bulky 1000 watt stand floodlight. It would also make a great backpacking/camping light for setting up stuff in the dark. Yes, the tk75 would be a "showy" light as in "hey, my light shines further than yours nanananabooboo", but I think the tm26 would give me more practical, usable light for everyday(night) tasks.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a 3500 lumen TM26. It makes a wall of light that throws far enough for most needs but if you are on a boat on open water or open flat country you probably want more reach. Knowing the state of charge on the display was a big selling point for me as well as the ability to charge batteries, including batteries for other lights (4 or less). The run time is excellent.

Upgrading the LED's on the TM26 is iffy. Vinh does not. It is said the reflectors can't be removed without scratching them.
Some believe we won't see dramatic improvements in LED technology in the near future but I don't know. It is not worth it to me to get the XML2 version. I would not hesitate to use it physically and wonder if the TK75 might buckle but I don't know. The threaded area for a tripod should not be abused- not sure how firmly attached it is. You know some of the build issues that the TM26 has. Mine is fully functional.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I have a 3500 lumen TM26. It makes a wall of light that throws far enough for most needs but if you are on a boat on open water or open flat country you probably want more reach. Knowing the state of charge on the display was a big selling point for me as well as the ability to charge batteries, including batteries for other lights (4 or less). The run time is excellent.

Upgrading the LED's on the TM26 is iffy. Vinh does not. It is said the reflectors can't be removed without scratching them.
Some believe we won't see dramatic improvements in LED technology in the near future but I don't know. It is not worth it to me to get the XML2 version. I would not hesitate to use it physically and wonder if the TK75 might buckle but I don't know. The threaded area for a tripod should not be abused- not sure how firmly attached it is. You know some of the build issues that the TM26 has. Mine is fully functional.

The RC40 is a better light than the TK75 and can charge batteries unlike the TK75. It doesn't have an OLED display like the TM26 does. The RC40 is also bigger than the TK75 which is bigger than the TM26.

ven

Flashaholic
The RC40 is a better light than the TK75 and can charge batteries unlike the TK75. It doesn't have an OLED display like the TM26 does. The RC40 is also bigger than the TK75 which is bigger than the TM26.

No such thing as better,if i thought the rc40 is better i would have one,i dont,i think its too big for my needs,i also think its expensive/rc40 required dedicated battery,i like using 18650 as i can use in any light,the battery being charged in the light...............what do you do with light then.Unless you have a spare battery to throw in.Is it possible to charge the designated battery outside the rc40 or at some point do you have to leave plugged in to charge(i dont know that answer no trick question)

Then versatility of extra extensions on the tk75,up to 3 iirc so thats a lot of run time.

Obv thats just my view not right or wrong,just what i think............the compact form of the tm26 is a good advantage,the tk75 is no huge light,quite light(in weight) in fact.

Also significantly cheaper too,so for me no best,just best for individual needs:twothumbs

ven

Flashaholic
I dont have the tm26,at time i preferred the form factor of the 3 leds in one head.The tm15 is longer than tm26 ,has 2450lm as opposed to 3500/3800lm.

It will run on 2450lm for 20 mins iirc before step down,the tk75 2600lm steps down at 20mins,2900lm steps down at 15,but can be reset back to turbo(not sure on the rc40 and tm26)
size pic

Still shares the tri pod attachment and charger plug(no oled display,instead you have flashing read out on button)

Off their head

cells wise obv the tm15 and tm26 can be charged in house,tk75 cant but spare carriers/extensions can be purchased(reasonably priced)and can be used as extra for longer run times

Head to head

Similar for factor,just bigger on tk75,also modded to 4400lm

Cant comment exact on tm26,but i love my tm15,its a great light,the tk75vn is not what i class as a large light (rc40/x60 etc i do).............well maybe i would with 3 extensions :laughing:

For cost/value/performance all in a package,the tk75 is hard to beat,the tm26 has the charge and oled advantage along with smaller form factor but greater cost(unless bargain discount).

No better or best,just best for you;)

edit- just to add the rc40 is really a different class/size of light so a hard comparison imho,tm26 offers awesome performance in such a small package

Last edited:

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
I dont have the tm26,at time i preferred the form factor of the 3 leds in one head.The tm15 is longer than tm26 ,has 2450lm as opposed to 3500/3800lm.

It will run on 2450lm for 20 mins iirc before step down,the tk75 2600lm steps down at 20mins,2900lm steps down at 15,but can be reset back to turbo(not sure on the rc40 and tm26)
size pic

Still shares the tri pod attachment and charger plug(no oled display,instead you have flashing read out on button)

Off their head

cells wise obv the tm15 and tm26 can be charged in house,tk75 cant but spare carriers/extensions can be purchased(reasonably priced)and can be used as extra for longer run times

Head to head

Similar for factor,just bigger on tk75,also modded to 4400lm

Cant comment exact on tm26,but i love my tm15,its a great light,the tk75vn is not what i class as a large light (rc40/x60 etc i do).............well maybe i would with 3 extensions :laughing:

For cost/value/performance all in a package,the tk75 is hard to beat,the tm26 has the charge and oled advantage along with smaller form factor but greater cost(unless bargain discount).

No better or best,just best for you;)

edit- just to add the rc40 is really a different class/size of light so a hard comparison imho,tm26 offers awesome performance in such a small package

You make valid points on the RC40 but if someone is looking to spend a lot of money on a excellent throw and runtime, then the RC40 seems like the way to go despite being twice the price of the TK75. The TM 26 is an apples to oranges comparison since it is much closer to being a flood light than the two Fenix products.

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
Well there's been a strange turn of events... the more I look at the TK 75 the more I like it. I did some more research and I feel like it has enough spill to meet my needs, and the throw is of course really nice. I can also get more for my money (that statement could be questionable to some people but to me I feel it's true). This is a lot harder decision than I had expected considering I only have enough money to buy one light at this time. I am thinking I will just get the TK75 for now because I can get the light, charger, and batteries for around $50 cheaper than the TM26. The nice thing about that is it will have the charger for use with other lights I may buy in the future. I have the single cell charger that came with my p12, which is very inefficient for use on more than one cell of course, and I am somewhat leery of using the TM26 to charge its own batteries without overheating inside the light.

Polargirl

Newly Enlightened
Well there's been a strange turn of events... the more I look at the TK 75 the more I like it. I did some more research and I feel like it has enough spill to meet my needs, and the throw is of course really nice. I can also get more for my money (that statement could be questionable to some people but to me I feel it's true). This is a lot harder decision than I had expected considering I only have enough money to buy one light at this time. I am thinking I will just get the TK75 for now because I can get the light, charger, and batteries for around $50 cheaper than the TM26. The nice thing about that is it will have the charger for use with other lights I may buy in the future. I have the single cell charger that came with my p12, which is very inefficient for use on more than one cell of course, and I am somewhat leery of using the TM26 to charge its own batteries without overheating inside the light.

You can find TM26 with batteries for a little over $200 if you bid on them at Ebay. TK75 hasn't had such auctions last time I checked.

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
You can find TM26 with batteries for a little over $200 if you bid on them at Ebay. TK75 hasn't had such auctions last time I checked.

I used to do a lot of buying/selling on ebay, but due to some issues I tend to stay away from eBay anymore. I ended up taking the plunge and got the tk75 through amazon, will be here tomorrow with the super cheap amazon prime 1 day shipping. The way I look at it is now I can buy just the tm26 later down the road and I will already have batteries/charger, so the light cost will of course be cheaper. The thing I also consider is there is always the option to resell the tk75 if it doesnt perform how I want it to, or return it, etc. I knew I would most likely be very happy with either light, but for my personal uses, I believe ultimately the tk75 will be more suitable. I guess ill find out for sure tommorrow! I will check back in once I get it to give my initial impressions.

ritzone

Newly Enlightened
Batteries do not overheat inside the TM26 while charging inside the flashlight. The other observations you made sound valid.

From my research, I do agree that charging/overheating issues would be very unlikely, although I cant argue with the horror stories (not necessarily related to the tm26, but I do know the dangers associated with rechargeable lithiums). I just would personally feel more comfortable charging cells outside of a light, but the built in charging would certainely be excellent for emergency situations where you have a vehicle and can charge it on the go via 12v outlets.

ven

Flashaholic
I can only presume(apart from the oled display) the charging system is the same on the tm15 and tm26.It is actually very good,it slightly under charges to around 4.18-4.19v .

This can be argued better for the cells,heat wise,that is substantial but certainly not from charging the light! It will get toasty on full power,even my tm15 at 2450 at 20 mins can get a quite warm (cant hold for longer than a few seconds before changing hands when tested) . The charge system i have found is on the slow side too,after testing my cells with a MM and on the tm15 flashes(4.1v by flashes) it will charge further on the i4 or wp6 to 4.2v. So form my personal findings it charges on the "safer side"

For me its the advantage of not needing a separate charger if you take it camping or away on holiday(examples).

The tk75 is a great light either way too,love mine,imo a great all-rounder (not saying the tm26 is not).

Imho you cant go wrong with either,both great lights:twothumbs

The danger or more risk comes from "cheap ebay china chargers" or CECC ,these cecc can keep charging when the led light turns green(or red) and over charges if left.
Most end in fire,if $3 for a charger then it does not matter what its called tbh.

Decent recommended cells,reputable sellers,good branded cells+common sense=trouble free ,great performance flashlight use...........

If new to the cells then understandable having precautions,its not a bad thing as you have researched it;)

Enjoy your light:twothumbs and hopefully a start of more,as once your blown away by the performance,you will get a hunger for more:D (ok i did anyway) :laughing: