Fenix TK35 UE & TK35 L2 - Pictures, Impressions

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello guys, one of the best all around flashlights arrived today, Fenix TK35 L2 and TK35 Ultimate Edition. So I would like to show these flashlights. Let's see how working XM-L2 vs MT-G2 side by side. I hope this post will help for choice.

Fenix TK35 (Cree XM-L2 U2 CW LED)

Official,

Description

Fenix TK35 is a high-intensity multi-functional flashlight. Using CREE XM-L2 U2 LED, it delivers a max 900-lumen output with two 18650 batteries or four CR123A batteries. Offering 4 brightness levels, strobe and SOS function, dual tail switches, TK35 excels in various outdoor activities, such as exploring, camping, searching, caving and more.

Features

- Cree XM-L2 (U2) LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Uses four 3V CR123A batteries (Lithium) or two 18650 rechargeable batteries (Li-ion)
- 165mm (Length) x44mm (Diameter) x52mm (Head)
- 275-gram weight (excluding batteries)
- Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
- Reverse polarity protection, to protect from improper battery installation
- Low-voltage warning function, to remind users of low power
- Dual button switch in the tail cap, convenient operation
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
- Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

8fxyo3c4hij1.png

My Impressions (TK35 L2)

Pros

+ Very good build quality as always from Fenix
+ Nice black anodizing without any scratches
+ Aluminium tailcap (not plastic as old first gen TK35 XM-L T6)
+ Nice beam, not visible rings etc. the led is well centered (not 100% perfect but good)
+ I have not seen PWM or other irritating flickering, not hear buzzing sounds etc, all mode OK!
+ Unprotected/flat top batteries support
+ The mode selection switch reaction time is perfect, react immediately
+ Simple UI with well spaced modes
+ Hidden modes (SOS, Strobe)
+ Relative compact size
+ Good throwing capable
+ Good quality holster, lanyard

Cons

- The reflector surface is slightly dusty
- Switches plastic parts slightly rattle (inside in the tailcap)

Fenix TK35 Ultimate Edition (Cree MT-G2 NW LED, 5000K)

Official,

Description

Some boundaries are made to be pushed. Thanks to the revolutionary Cree MT-G2 LED, the TK35 Ultimate Edition produces 1800-lumen maximum output while still keeps the size and power options in tact. Besides the output boost, the neutral white Cree MT-G2 LED also provides better color rendition. The light features dual tail switch system for one hand operation.

Features

- Utilizes Cree MT-G2 LED with a lifespan of 50,000 hours
- Uses two 18650 rechargeable batteries (Li-ion) or four 3V
- CR123A batteries (Lithium)
- 165mm (Length) × 44mm (Diameter) × 52mm (Head)
- 265-gram weight (excluding batteries)
- Digitally regulated output - maintains constant brightness
- Reverse polarity protection to protect from improper
- battery installation
- Low-voltage warning function to remind users of low power
- Dual button switch in the tail, convenient operation
- Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
- Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
- Toughened ultra-clear glass lens with anti-reflective coating

8evcyyknpgfr.png

My Impressions (TK35 UE)

Pros

+ Nice packaging, design (box)
+ Very good build quality as always from Fenix
+ Clean reflector, lens
+ Nice black anodizing without any scratches
+ Aluminium tailcap (not plastic as old first gen TK35 XM-L T6)
+ Absolutely perfect beam quality with very nice neutral white tint. The MT-G2 led is really awesome
+ Unprotected/flat top batteries support
+ Well centered LED (not 100% perfect, but close to perfect)
+ I have not seen PWM or other irritating flickering, not hear buzzing sounds etc, all mode OK!
+ The mode selection switch reaction time is perfect, react immediately
+ Well spaced modes (25lm, 250lm, 750lm, 1800lm) with hidden extra modes (SOS, Strobe)
+ Relative compact size
+ Better, more useable beam in short distances, much better than XM-L2 version
+ Good quality holster, lanyard

Cons

- Switches plastic parts slightly rattle (inside in the tailcap)

Other comments

- If needed, you can use TK35 in candle mode, but only on stable, horizontal surfaces.
- TK35 UE has not perfect flat regulation in 1800 lumen mode, but in real life this is not big problem I think. If need more info about regulation, pls check selfbuilt review.
- I think TK35 would be better with side switches, would be more comfortable to everyday use.
For me: The winner is, TK35 UE and the MT-G2 LED!

Otherwise, I hope TK61 UE will be available later... I think TK61 huge reflector with 4 (or more) 18650 battery would be perfect combination with MT-G2 LED. My TK61 thread here

What I recommend (batteries, chargers etc.)

Protected 18650 li-ion batteries: Fenix ARB-L2S 3400mAh, Keeppower 2600mAh, 2900mAh (Panasonic NCR18650PF cell), 3400mAh, 3600mAh, Orbtronic cells
Unprotected 18650 li-ion batteries for advanced users: Sanyo UR18650FM 2600mAh, Panasonic NCR18650PF 2900mAh, Panasonic NCR18650B 3400mAh, NCR18650G 3600mAh
Charger(s): XTAR WP2 II (2014), XTAR VP1

XM-L2 U2 with smooth reflector (left) vs huge MT-G2 LED with orange peel ref. (right)

more photos coming soon!

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just what the forum needed,a big thank you for the excellent article.We have as usual new members looking for a decent light and i find this particular range of Fenix good in the throw department and hopefully will give the intentional buyers extra ideas.

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you for your awesome as always comparison pics,:thumbsup:it looks like a very good all round package from fenix regarding tint,flood/throw ,a useful light to have:D

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I want a mtg2 2x18650. But, what is wrong with Fenix? They have forgotten that you need a workday run level at 4k candela. I can, for the mtg2, calculate the candela at an 8 hour setting at 6100. They, again, forgot this setting (as on all their new h.lamps). 4 hours is NOT a workday. Nor is swapping batteries at 4 hours remotely possible for most people. Looks like only a dim 2,000 candela for 13 hours. ... You need 4k candela to see good detail at 6 foot. I struggle do my job at 3k candela lights.

The L2 offers 5k candela at the 125 lumen level. This light has impressibe throw numbers, which would allow working at lower current levels. That tk35 reflector is impressive with the xml.

The TK series is too heavy, I guess, anyway for me. 3x18650 is out of the question. But, I am impressed that they got their driver to work for a mtg2 with only 7.2 volt nominal.

The color rendering and pics are impressive for the mtg2. However, your eyeball cones are only 15 degrees within the center of your vistion. The rest of your vision is blurry motion vision. If you use your hands or cut out a quarter sized hole and hold it over the hotspot on animated pics above, the hole drops in brightness with the mtg2 illumination. In real life, this is the part that matters more. Still, wow. Keep in mind you would need the 4 hour or less setting on the mtg, just to get respectable throw. But by missing a good, 6k candela at 8 hour, setting, I couldn't use the UE version of light. Sadly.

I am firmly in the 140 to 168 lpw range for all my current gen lights. So the mtg2 amazes me, but I think we can do better. I wonder how far off we are from a neutral Cree at 220 lpw. Over 200 lpw era, is where it make more sense to start buying anything more.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Geez, I want a mtg2 2x18650. But, what is wrong with Fenix? They have forgotten that you need a workday run level at 4k candela. I can, for the mtg2, calculate the candela at an 8 hour setting at 6100. They, again, forgot this setting (as on all their new h.lamps). 4 hours is NOT a workday. Nor is swapping batteries at 4 hours remotely possible for most people. Looks like only a dim 2,000 candela for 13 hours. ... You need 4k candela to see good detail at 6 foot. I struggle do my job at 3k candela lights.

The L2 offers 5k candela at the 125 lumen level. This light has impressibe throw numbers, which would allow working at lower current levels. That tk35 reflector is impressive with the xml.

The TK series is too heavy, I guess, anyway for me. 3x18650 is out of the question. But, I am impressed that they got their driver to work for a mtg2 with only 7.2 volt nominal.

Surely you choose the tools for your job and not criticise the tools that do not suit your job.No point me buying an 18v hammer drill when a 12v drill/driver is good enough for my work.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surely you choose the tools for your job and not criticise the tools that do not suit your job.No point me buying an 18v hammer drill when a 12v drill/driver is good enough for my work.

I see your point. But I have an attachment (literally) to the TK35.

I own a tk35 xml1 u2, for (I think, a year). I do use it. But after about 4 or 5 hours, it does get to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I haven't attempted to mod it to make it lighter. If the mtg2 had the 8 hour 6100 candela setting, I would be tempted to buy and try. I want designers to make useful lights, not toys.

Enlightened
I see your point. But I have an attachment (literally) to the TK35. I own a tk35 xml1 u2, for (I think, a year). I do use it. But after about 4 or 5 hours, it does get to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I haven't attempted to mod it to make it lighter. If the mtg2 had the 8 hour 6100 candela setting, I would be tempted to buy and try. I want designers to make useful lights, not toys.
Roger that. This toy is off my list.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I see your point. But I have an attachment (literally) to the TK35.

I own a tk35 xml1 u2, for (I think, a year). I do use it. But after about 4 or 5 hours, it does get to heavy and uncomfortable to wear. I haven't attempted to mod it to make it lighter. If the mtg2 had the 8 hour 6100 candela setting, I would be tempted to buy and try. I want designers to make useful lights, not toys.

Perhaps the professional users lights sold in trade stores may help and i agree the end user is often left out of the equation which in reality is totally daft.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Gopajti great review and nice pictures as always ! :thumbsup:

I have a TK35 mod XM-L2 NW and I'm very interested in this comparison.
If possible you can take pictures over a longer distance?
Thanks

(Translate with Google)

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
I just ordered this flashlight from the Fenix store. I cancelled my backorder for the SC-600 Mk2 L2. Nothing wrong with the ZL but I already have a pocket torch as a backup and workshop tool. I wanted something with some real punch but that can still be carried with me easily on my belt.

Thanks for the review!

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you guys!

Stefano, maybe later, now (in these days) the weather is not ideal (rainy, windy) for outdoor beamshots

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
ideal weather for me: no wind, no rain

wind + longer exposure =

stock-footage-palm-tree-dream-time-lapse-a-tropical-palm-tree-in-hawaii-sways-against-the-trade-winds-at-night.jpg

Last edited: