best economical point-and-shoot models for close-up work?

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is my first visit to the photography section. I want to buy an relatively inexpensive point-and-shoot digital camera. My main interest is in something that I will be able to focus/zoom-in at a very close focal length, to capture fairly small detail. That is my main priority in a small camera. I have done a few searches, but have not found much, and may not have expressed the right "phraseology" in a search. When I say relatively inexpensive, I am thinking possibly in the neighborhood of $150, if not less. It would also be nice to be able to manually turn the flash off, since that has interfered with some potentially-better shots, in the past. Thank you for sharing your knowledge!

Nightflash

Newly Enlightened
Hi not exactly sure if it´s what You´re looking for but I am reliably using for 1,5 Years a Canon Powershot SX220 for macro photography and it´s the first camera I own that replaces a digital reflex for this kind of work. Main features are a 12x optical zoom, 12 mp, good auto-modes for different kinds of situation, shutter or aperture priority but also full manual modes for everything (and difficult to find). You may turn on/off anything. Has a fantastic handheld night mode and important for macro the 2 secs easily setable delay-mode (for use on a tripod) Kind of review here http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-SX220-HS-vs-Canon-SX230-HS and You might use the site to look for other cameras too. Upgrade version is the SX230 so this should be available around $200 or less. 2 handheld pics from today (reduced) of the tiny 1xaaa Tank007Eo9:
IMG_3203_1024x_zps986ebdfa.jpg

IMG_3202cr_zps6c9c25fb.jpg

Last edited:

jaycyu

Enlightened
In term of keywords:

50mm (Standard prime lens)
Magnification 0.15x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio 1:7
Minimum Focus Distance 1.5' (45 cm)

100 (Marco lens)
Magnification 1x
Maximum Reproduction Ratio 1:1
Minimum Focus Distance 1' (30.48 cm)

^ these are DSLR lenses, but the terms still applies to P&S.
-1:1 (1x) is standard macro
-If I were to start over, I would try a 60mm macro instead of a 100mm macro because a telephoto lens captures less of the background.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for the Canon SX series. I have an SX110IS that can (manually) focus on leaves touching the lens.

I live by power-on and time-to-shoot times because I have small children and need a quick path from 'camera in pocket' to 'done taking picture.'