REVolutionary New Floodlight-REV Captor

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What?!! A flooder? I know I'm probably going to throw some of you for a loop with this one as I have been specializing in throw lights for years. While throwers are my first love and that has certainly not changed I actually have worked on a bunch of flooding type lights through the years. Mostly just for myself. I decided to make 2014 the year I focus on the quality of the light itself and reveal some of the things I have been researching for years. The light being introduced here is the first in this line. I am also formally announcing the new brand REV. Why? Well I decided that I want the OMG Lumens brand to continue to be the ultimate expression of lights taken to the extreme. This has always been pushed in two metrics-performance and esthetics. This is very costly to do and so in an attempt to make some more affordable lights the REV brand will be focusing more heavily on the performance side of things. There is also a bit of a realignment in my stores. I am discontinuing the OMG store and all OMG sales will be now be through OneStopThrowShop. Just makes sense for all my lights to be in one spot. So let's get on with this new light shall we.

f33baab4-b2a5-4167-bbdd-b823cd7bdeb7_zps4dc0ba8f.jpg

REV Captor

The REV Captor is an innovative new flood light. It is designed to provide superior foreground illumination than anything else on the market. It combines high CRI with high-output and efficient light usage by means of a novel light shaping technology. This flashlight is about lighting up a huge area with high quality diffuse light as efficiently as possible. This flashlight is capable of lighting an entire American football field in one shot.

The beam is far more than a simple diffusion. The beam is super wide at 170° to wrap around where it is needed but avoids wasting energy trying to light areas that need little if any light. Namely in the vertical axis. This means the Captor will not put an excessive amount of light directly at your feet but will redirect a portion of it to areas that need more light. Also trying to light the area significantly above the horizon is wasteful as that light would merely be lost to the sky so that light too is redirected to become part of the useable beam. It is this intelligent use of light that allows us to light up such a large area without wasting massive amounts of energy or having a huge flashlight. It is Efficient by design.
Beyond simply the output and breadth of the beam is the Quality of the light that the Captor gives. There are three areas where the Captor's light quality excels.
-High CRI at high color temp
-Low Glare
-Soft Shadows

High CRI-The high CRI at high color temp is achieved by supplementing the output of two cool white XML2 LEDs with one warm white XML2. The reason for this is that the high CRI LED has a deeper red component to it that the cool white LEDs lack. The lack of a significant red component is the reason so many LED lights produce a ghostly blue hue. With the Captor however the colors are richly reproduced.
Low Glare-Glare is caused by intense sources of light. It is not as much a function of how much total light there is but rather how much light there is per given unit of space. So let's say we have two flashlights that both put out 1000 lumens. On one light the actual light emitting area is 1mm x1mm and the other is 2mmx2mm. Which one will create more glare? Despite the fact that they both have the same overall amount of light the fact that the light with the 1mm x 1mm emitting surface has the light packed into a tighter space means it will appear more intense, both to someone directly viewing the source, but also when viewing the reflections of the source. This effect is true when viewing objects on both the macro and micro scale. At the macro scale would be reflections from objects like glass windows or the chrome on cars(think of the times you have caught a glint of an HID headlight at night). At the micro scale things like fabric, skin, and a million other things take on a slightly speckled appearance. The effect is hard to describe in words but easy to see in practice. The Captor has an extremely high emission surface area to drastically reduce glare compared to the average flashlight. The best way I can describe the diffuse light quality of the Captor is buttery soft. It is very pleasing to the eyes.

Soft Shadows-Since the Captor has a large emitting surface it does not create hard line shadows. The light can in many instances wrap around an object and have no appreciable cast shadow at all. This effect is especially pronounced in an engine bay with all the pipes and wires everywhere. The light can wrap around these making it far easier to see. I have been using the Captor almost exclusively when gardening at night. It allows me to check on my tomatoes and see farther into the bush since the light is not blocked as easily by branches. There are many more example than can be recounted here but this effect is very real and very beneficial. The other point of note here is the practical effect that the soft shadows have when moving about your environment. Hard shadows from normal flashlights are distracting to the brain. They seem to dance about as you move. This distracting effect is drastically reduced by the Captor's soft shadows as it is in fact reducing the amount of shadows there are as well as providing a soft gradation at the shadow to light boundary. This in real terms makes life much easier for the brain which is having to process all that extraneous visual information.

If you want to hear me yammer on about this light there is a longer video below.

Features and Specification:
- Runs on (3) 18650 rechargeable Lithium-ion batteries sold separately. You absolutely must use high quality "protected" cells.

- LED: three Cree XM-L2 LEDs (2 cool white and 1 warm white for enhanced CRI)
- Max 2500 lumens output
- Infinite brightness magnetic control ring ,minimum brightness : 3 lumen ,fully variable from minimum 20 lumen to maximum 2500 lumens; - Max viewing distance is about 300' depending on ambient weather and light as well as target albedo
- Working voltage: 4V to 13V.
- Max runtime: 1200 hours.
- Impact resistant: 1.2 meters.
- Waterproof to IPX-6
- Size: 181(L)x 68.00(bezel diameter) unit: mm.
- Weight: 520g without battery.
- Stainless 304 bezel and rotate-ring
- Can directly recharge batteries with included magnetic charge cable. Comes with an AC-DC adapter and a car charger for charging the batteries inside the flashlight at home or on the go.
- Aircraft grade aluminum body structure.
- Premium type III hard anodized anti-abrasive finish.
- Ultra-clear tempered glass lens with anti-reflective coating.
- Momentary forward click tactical switch.
- Stand-by mode for easy on-off switching in session
- Tactical knurling for firm grip.
- Mechanical reversed polarity protection design for battery carrier.
- Intelligent highly efficient circuit board design for max performance
and long run time.
- Specially designed for Law Enforcement, Self-defense, Hunting, Search & Rescue and Outdoor activities.
- Intelligent temperature controlled light output for user safety.

Regarding Charging
Input : 5V DC Output : 4.2V DC/500MA *3 MAX
Charging time: depends on the capacity of the batteries , Charging time = battery capacity/500mA + 0.5 hour

Comes with: REV Captor, carrying case, spare O-rings, magnetic USB charging cord, car charging adapter, home AC charging adapter(US style), holster, user manual, and lanyard. This is also covered by our standard limited lifetime warranty.

Purchase Here

trans.gif

Last edited:

hikingman

Enlightened
Invoice #: 0000001463 Here's to a flooder to match my thrower - ol' Defecto will have a pal soon :)

Good luck on this one Michael, hope it sells like hotcakes!

Dave

TEEJ

Flashaholic
It sounds a lot like the way an automotive head light beam is shaped, so that the beam optimizes the light on the road w/o wasting lumens over the line of sight, etc.

houser23

Enlightened
If I had the money I would be all over this light like stink on a monkey.

BeastFlashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Saab!! Will it be half throw half flood projects from now on for your store?

***My favorite flood light on Earth is my mod from Vestureofblood, a 4 de-domed XML2 inside shallow orange peel reflectors, fully regulated at 3,200 lumens (but very heavy, i bet this is much lighter). I always describe it as 'A huge ball of light' or 'Like turning on an outdoor light switch.' Floodiest light I own hands down! Hmm I wonder how these 2 beams would compare to each other

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your orders. They were all dropped off at the post office a few minutes ago. Can't wait to get your feedback.

It sounds a lot like the way an automotive head light beam is shaped, so that the beam optimizes the light on the road w/o wasting lumens over the line of sight, etc.
Quite right except far more portable and without any artifacts. ;)

Wow Saab!! Will it be half throw half flood projects from now on for your store?

***My favorite flood light on Earth is my mod from Vestureofblood, a 4 de-domed XML2 inside shallow orange peel reflectors, fully regulated at 3,200 lumens (but very heavy, i bet this is much lighter). I always describe it as 'A huge ball of light' or 'Like turning on an outdoor light switch.' Floodiest light I own hands down! Hmm I wonder how these 2 beams would compare to each other
I don't know about half and half but as you can see I am branching out from just throw. I want to do to the flood world what I have done with the throw world-redefine it. The beams between the 4 XML light you have and the Captor will be significantly different. The Captor is designed to have absolutely no hotspot. For close up work the hotspot is absolutely not an advantage. Can't stress this enough. When comparing even my most OP reflector lights to the Captor an interesting thing emerges. Although you don't necessarily notice it when using a reflector light that hotspot is stressing the eyes/brain. When I go from the reflector to the Captor I can actually feel my head relaxing due to the smoothness, coloring, and breadth of the beam. It is nothing I can take a picture of but it will be obvious to the people who buy this light and that is why I am keen to hear people's feedback. The other difference between them is that the Captor allows you to see in your periphery. Saying that here doesn't have the same impact as it does experiencing it which I highly suggest people do ;)

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I'm a little surprised you went with XML2 over the MTG2 for a flood application?

A high CRI or even a red LED, plus MTG2 LEDs would potentially add to the total output and the total flood, etc.

Is finding a hi CRI MTG2 and/or mixing MTG2 and XML2, etc, a driver issue?

Last edited:

hikingman

Enlightened
I'm a little surprised you went with XML2 over the MTG2 for a flood application?

A high CRI or even a red LED, plus MTG2 LEDs would potentially add to the total output and the total flood, etc.

Is finding a hi CRI MTG2 and/or mixing MTG2 and XML2, etc, a driver issue?

I was surprised too by his not using MTG2 Led's, which are far and away liked by me over any other LED. I look forward to the results and they will be critically compared to my TN35vn, MX25L3, and MM15vn lights, both for "tint" and for overall real world hike in the woods experience. I do not like cool white beams and prefer neutral white and whatever the MTG2's are doing. So Michael is "mixing" some cool white XML2's and a higher CRI XML2 and I said to myself, "Let's give it a go". Obviously, I did so mainly due to the character of the beam. The video's on my calibrated monitors seem to have a very cool tint, but I am guessing (hoping) that is not actually the way it is and that it is neutral. He indicated to me that earth tones and greens are very well rendered and that is what I want to see.

Back to those MTG2 lights mentioned above: ALL of them have significantly different tints, so go figure! Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little. There is a family resemblance, but the MM15vn leans to slightly yellow. The TN35vn has a touch of red-magenta. The MX25L3 is coolish neutral, obviously a little higher Kelvin than the other 2. I like all three lights but the ever so slight red warmishness of the TN35vn is my favorite.

EDIT: I should add the point, if it is not obvious already, I have a sample of 1 of each light, so others reading this with the same lights - YMMV :)

Dave

Last edited: