• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger and 10440 question What do you use?

troutbum1971

Newly Enlightened
I got an Eiger stainless the for Father's Day and absolutely love the light. I am running an energizer ultimate lithium in it now and it is sweet for around the house. I really would like to run a 10440 in it to make it brighter. There are three basic batteries I have been looking at. First is an Efest 10440 IMR. I was about to order 4 of them this morning but someone told me they are not good for Peaks. Ok. Why? What is the difference between and IMR and other 10440s? The other battery is a Trust Fire (grey) but when I googled where to buy one I see it has a 1 out of 5 star rating, so not sure about that one. The third is an Ultrafire. It is a blue battery sold at em-mgt. I don't want to blow the LED but want a good powerful battery. I'll keep tabs on the charge and discharge. Is there a particular 10440 that you Peak folks swear by and if so where did you get it?

Thanks everyone

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I got an Eiger stainless the for Father's Day and absolutely love the light. I am running an energizer ultimate lithium in it now and it is sweet for around the house. I really would like to run a 10440 in it to make it brighter. There are three basic batteries I have been looking at. First is an Efest 10440 IMR. I was about to order 4 of them this morning but someone told me they are not good for Peaks. Ok. Why? What is the difference between and IMR and other 10440s? The other battery is a Trust Fire (grey) but when I googled where to buy one I see it has a 1 out of 5 star rating, so not sure about that one. The third is an Ultrafire. It is a blue battery sold at em-mgt. I don't want to blow the LED but want a good powerful battery. I'll keep tabs on the charge and discharge. Is there a particular 10440 that you Peak folks swear by and if so where did you get it?

Thanks everyone

Everything ending in "fire" is generally a warning to run the otherway.

IMR tends to be able to support higher amp loads than the traditional 10440 chemistry, running at the same voltage, and, its a safer chemistry as well, a plus. It will tend to have a lower mah rating though, so run time may be lower, albeit the light may be brighter for the runtime it has, depending upon how the light's regulation handles the added power.

If the light's regulation allows the cell to dump all the power quickly, typically to make it the brightest, there will be a lot more heat....so, a 4.2 v cell that can support a higher amp draw may cause the light to be (All conceptually) 5x brighter than it was on the 1.5 v primary lithium energizer, and be drained 5x faster/get 5x hotter, etc.

If the light can handle that, you're good to go.

:D

If the warning is because the light CAN'T handle it, the 10440 may fry it.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Peak Eiger are "semi-regulated" ... IMR are not recommended, since they will deliver too much current to the emitter (and produce too much heat for the very small heat-sink) .

For 10440 battery in this torch, many here will recommend AW brand ICR 10440 cells. Note that these are unprotected Li-Ion batteries, and all of the usual warnings and safety procedures will apply.

Even on ICR power, though, the Eiger will be very bright ( & get hot ) , so use caution with regard to runtime at max. Do not set down or leave unattended while powered on :caution:

Last edited:

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not sure which head you have, but I believe all the Eigers are direct drive. The IMR may send too much juice to the small optic and mule heads, but might be fine for the Turbo head. I use unprotected AW 10440 ICRs - they aren't branded. See LightHound and some other dealers for details. I would also suggest avoiding anything that ends in "fire." The difference in output between the Energizer Lithium primaries and li-ions is significant and will put a smile on your face. Note that in such a small light, it will quickly get warm on H.

Edit: Archimedes is both more concise and types faster than I do.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Edit: Archimedes is both more concise and types faster than I do.

(lol) :)

@yoyoman raises an excellent point in his post above ... and to further clarify, Peak "Eiger" are semi-regulated, but "Eiger (Ultra) X" version(s) are direct-drive. Neither are designed for IMR.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For 10440 battery in this torch, many here will recommend AW brand ICR 10440 cells. Note that these are unprotected Li-Ion batteries, and all of the usual warnings and safety procedures will apply.

I was told recently by Wonderlite (an AW dealer), that AW 10440 cells are discontinued and no longer available. If you find that this is not the case, please let me know.

I'm not sure which head you have, but I believe all the Eigers are direct drive.

As archimedes mentioned above, all of them are semi-regulated. Eiger heads are available with 9 different "power" options (0-8) and the lower power heads are more strictly regulated and do not overheat when powered by 10440 ICR cells. I have a few #4 heads, and they don't even get warm on 10440 ICR. The QTC (#8 power) heads will get hot on full output.

EDIT ...and archimedes beat me to it with his last post too LOL

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was told recently by Wonderlite (an AW dealer), that AW 10440 cells are discontinued and no longer available. If you find that this is not the case, please let me know.

You're right - I just checked LightHound and they don't have the AW 10440s in stock.

archimedes

Flashaholic
That is not good news ... :(

EDIT - Looks like Interstate Batteries carries an ICR10440 cell (rated at 350 mAh) ... :thinking:

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
Just checked HKJ battery test site, which lists results for AW (ICR), Efest (IMR), and UltraFire (two versions) 10440's. Maybe he could test the Interstate Battery labeled cells?

gravelmonkey

Enlightened
I usually avoid anything ending in *fire but picked up some unprotected Trustfire cells from HKequipment.net when I got my AAA neutral XP-G Eiger. Hardly ever use them though, novelty value is great but for day to day I use an eneloop as the light heats up too quickly and I'm a bit weary of using small unprotected cells. As an aside, when using Li-Co cells, the QTC ramps faster and a reliable low-low is a bit harder to 'find'.

IIRC Li-Co cells should be charged at ~0.7C which would be ~450ma for a 600mAh cell. Most 18650 chargers have a higher rate.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
The AW 10440's were undoubtedly the best thing ever to happen to the Eiger. I keep hoping that enough noise on CPF will bring them back. That being said, the Eiger still deserves a LiIon battery - any Lithium Ion is better than none. I've used them all, IMR's included. At either the lower (old style) fixed power levels, or dimmed down with the QTC, the light handles the current just fine and there really isn't any heat problem at all. However, at full blast with 4.2v the Eiger comes into its own with blinding glory, but heats up in a hurry. First, the fingers burn, but only Rambo men will be able to hold on long enough to see the optic melt, and only a Terminator could hold on long enough for the solder and epoxy to melt and destroy the LED. The Eiger isn't a search light to be mounted on a Humvee and left on for hour after hour while crossing the burning desert sands. And it should never be left unattended (off when it might walk away, or on when it might ignite something). But for short spells (all fingers have an Eiger setting to tell you when) use the best 10440 you can find. For me, the Efest and UltraFire have been better than most of the others.

doopaloop6

Newly Enlightened
So what is so much better about the AW's than something like the unprotected trustfires. I saw everyone mentioning AW, but couldn't find them for my new Eiger so I bought trustfires.

They haven't arrives yet, but either way I don't have any other experience with Li-Ion to have something to compare it to.

archimedes

Flashaholic
The AW 10440's were undoubtedly the best thing ever to happen to the Eiger. I keep hoping that enough noise on CPF will bring them back. That being said, the Eiger still deserves a LiIon battery - any Lithium Ion is better than none. I've used them all, IMR's included. At either the lower (old style) fixed power levels, or dimmed down with the QTC, the light handles the current just fine and there really isn't any heat problem at all. However, at full blast with 4.2v the Eiger comes into its own with blinding glory, but heats up in a hurry. First, the fingers burn, but only Rambo men will be able to hold on long enough to see the optic melt, and only a Terminator could hold on long enough for the solder and epoxy to melt and destroy the LED. The Eiger isn't a search light to be mounted on a Humvee and left on for hour after hour while crossing the burning desert sands. And it should never be left unattended (off when it might walk away, or on when it might ignite something). But for short spells (all fingers have an Eiger setting to tell you when) use the best 10440 you can find. For me, the Efest and UltraFire have been better than most of the others.

Best post I've seen for some time ... :crackup:

troutbum1971

Newly Enlightened
The Eiger i have is the qtc keychain body with momentary switch. The head is the narrow, I believe, cri 119. I ordered two ultrafires and charger from em-mgt. I hope they work out. Looking forward to trying them. I absolutely love this little light.

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Li-Co cells should be charged at ~0.7C which would be ~450ma for a 600mAh cell. Most 18650 chargers have a higher rate.

Right, but considering that no 10440 actually has more than ~250-300mAh capacity, charge rate should be closer to 180mA. If you see a 10440 cell advertised or marked as 600mAh, it is an absolute lie.