Nitecore Flashlights: Are they durable?

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
I am about to buy a P12 in the next days, after I watched many reviews and browsing forums I think this is perfect for me.
The problem is that all the reviews are made for new lights and nobody came back after a few months to say if the flashlight still works properly.
Here and there, hidden in the forums I found some bad messages related to p12, one person had 2 broken after falling from small distance, someone said the battery indicator does not work after a while.

Based you your experience, please tell me about your nitecore flashlight!
Thank you!

UnderPar

Enlightened
I have 2 Nitecores and Its been flawlessly working for me. Have read about some Nitecores failing and really feel sorry for them

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I've had my P12 for three or four months now and it's still working and looking absolutely fine.

OK, I haven't dropped it but it certainly seems solid and reliable to me. Just checked the battery indicator and it is also working and accurate (showing 4.2V on a recently charged cell).

TweakMDS

Enlightened
In my opinion (which is not based on facts at all, but just from what I saw here), nitecore is kind of a middle ground in build quality. They don't seem plagued with QC problems, but it's not a solid brand like surefire. Would have no problems buying their lights if they come with a 2 year warranty (and they do, at least in the EU), but I would not weapon mount them or take it to a polar expedition. I did read one report about a failing srt7 but that could be an isolated incident. Not to mention that people only seem to post when a light fails, and not when it serves them well for a few years.

Edit: it's actually a five year warranty which is great of course!

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a P12 driver that had failed at the solder joints indicated by the arrows. Seems like repeated pressing of the side button caused micro fractures on the (lead-free) solder joints. This was a very simple fix though i highly recommend you don't press too hard on the button

rKFOKk9.jpg

Next is an EC25. Water came in through the side button. Turned the copper green especially on the other side of the PCB. Non-repairable

dCTAQ8l.jpg

Next is an MH25 with very poor workmanship on the driver:

OFCId9Z.jpg

dk9k76n.jpg

So yes Nitecore is the least-reliable among the major chinese brands

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
NiteCore isn't the only brand of flashlight that you should not be throwing across a parking lot; (get an Elzetta, etc.) Water ingress in a flashlight can be caused by user neglect as well. It seems, that along with NiteCore's innovative designs and competitive price structure, there have been some problems with manufacture and design. I have a NiteCore TM26 and a P12 that perform as advertised. I did remove the brittle plastic reverse-polarity protection disc in my P12 in order to use flat top batteries, and I have not dropped them significantly or let anything more than a light spray of water onto the lights. O-rings should be kept lubricated with a non-petroleum grease, and try not to immerse a hot flashlight into water. The impression I get from Overclocker is that he did not neglect or abuse his flashlights and am not implying otherwise. It is really nice to reliably know the state of charge of the battery without removing it from the flashlight. NiteCore offers that. If you are hard on flashlights, get something else. Otherwise, get what you want.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Last edited:

Ryp

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have had my P12 for seven months and have dropped it a couple times, it even went through the washing machine with the tailcap loosened and everything is working exactly how it did when I first got it.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
@Overclocker Wow this is exactly what I don't want to see. I had an unbranded low-quality light in the past (probably something worth like 5$) with 14leds, anyway it ended similar to the last pic you posted without ever being dropped.

Thank you everybody for the great info!

I am so anxious to buy a "pocket torch", not that I really need it, but I tend to buy small things, get attached to them, carry them for years... 8 years ago I bought a custom simple dog tag that I still wear, a few months ago I bought a leatherman that I got attached to it, next is the flashlight and I cannot afford to screw up since the total cost is 50$ of a standard salary...

Any alternatives in mind? I think of Fenix PD35 and the P18 Striker, I am not sure if I can buy diffuser for the striker.

Last edited:

eff

Enlightened
I have 2 Nitecores : T5 AAA on my keychain, and an SRT3 that I dropped inadvertantly a few times on the floor. Both lights are still working.

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alternatives? Some people like the Thrunite version (2014 model), others like the Fenix. But if you are going to open up the choices, you should describe the qualities you seek, budget, etc. because there are so many fine flashlights out there, some give really good value.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

KardoPaska

Newly Enlightened
I hope this isn't in violation... it's a genuine recommendation from pal to pal. I don't know where you live, but if there is an REI nearby, I would pay the extra $10 or $15 over internet prices to get your P12 from there. They have a 1-year no questions asked return policy. I had an SRT3 that was stuck in beacon mode and I exchanged it there with no hassle. It's almost like a warranty but way more convenient.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this Nitecore D20 in 2008 and it still runs with no problems. It is pulling nite stand duty now and makes for a good baton(built like a brick sh!t house). But it still functions like the day I got it and is one of my favorites. Pretty good for a six year old light. In my opinion, one of the best 2 x aa lights ever built. Great UI with instant high and instant low with ramping from low to high or high to low.

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know there have been some QC issues with some models, but so far I have had nothing but great experiences with Nitecore. I have a TM26 (had another, but gave it away), an SRT7, a P25vn, a P25, an HC50, a TM36vn on the way, and I used to have a TM11vn (gave that away also). All of them have been flawless. I do basic water tests (submerge and turn off/on, change modes repeatedly) and all of them have passed just fine. I don't drop my lights often, but I have had other brands arrive DOA, or stop working with the same type of use. Nitecore has been one of the few brands with no issues, which is partly why I have more Nitecore than anything else.

I wouldn't say they are as reliable as Malkoff, Elzetta, or Surefire...these brands have proven time and time again that they have EARNED their reputations for reliability and durability. But among the Chinese brands, Sunwayman, Fenix, and FourSevens have all been less reliable for me than Nitecore.

Last edited:

choombak

Enlightened
Durability is relative, and cannot be compared in isolation. From my experience, no - when they fall on concrete the mode switch mechanism has screwed up more often than not. I have Surefire, HDS, malkoff that have tasted concrete multiple times without loss of functionality. So again, no, nitecore lights are pretty but I don't consider them reliable.

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
There are no physical stores for this stuff around, and there are only a few online stores without much diversity especially for accesories/batteries/chargers.
I ordered the best option at online store with 24months warranty, first 12m they replace the product without question. Hopefully it won't fail but if it does i do not mind waiting one week...
My package will arrive in 2 days, i can't wait to get my hands on my first edc light!
-p12 + i2 + panasonic 3400 + difuser + silicone. They also had some color filters that i skipped because they are useless for me. I don,t think i missed something important, the p12 comes with holster and basic spare parts.

Thank you everybody for the good info you provided around here!

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are no physical stores for this stuff around, and there are only a few online stores without much diversity especially for accesories/batteries/chargers.
I ordered the best option at online store with 24months warranty, first 12m they replace the product without question. Hopefully it won't fail but if it does i do not mind waiting one week...
My package will arrive in 2 days, i can't wait to get my hands on my first edc light!
-p12 + i2 + panasonic 3400 + difuser + silicone. They also had some color filters that i skipped because they are useless for me. I don,t think i missed something important, the p12 comes with holster and basic spare parts.

Thank you everybody for the good info you provided around here!

Good Job. Yeah, I have that diffuser too; Nice. Enjoy. That charger has served me well, also.

bwDraco

Newly Enlightened

No physical stores? Seriously?

I just got an SRT7 Revenger from B&H yesterday (yes, the famous camera store!). If you aren't near NYC, the local REI may have what you need. Cabela's and ****'s Sporting Goods don't seem to carry Nitecore, though ****'s does carry Fenix. (note: no affiliation with any of these stores)

--DragonLord

Edit: I was going to ask whether you lived in the United States... :duh2:

Last edited:

radu191289

Newly Enlightened
No physical stores? Seriously?

I just got an SRT7 Revenger from B&H yesterday (yes, the famous camera store!). If you aren't near NYC, the local REI may have what you need. Cabela's and ****'s Sporting Goods don't seem to carry Nitecore, though ****'s does carry Fenix. (note: no affiliation with any of these stores)

--DragonLord

I live in Romania :) there are physical store in other cities but there is none in my city.

Wolf359

Enlightened
Have you looked at the ThruNite TN12 (2014) i got it over the Nitecore P12 as i have had acouple of problems with my EA4w's
[h=1][/h]