Malkoff MD2--Anything better for the price?

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I'm new to quality lights, but I've been reading for about a week and am close to purchasing a turn-key MD2 with the high/low adjustment.

Is there anything else out there that is better in the same price range? Any issues or concerns with the MD2?

I was considering getting the MD2 set up with a 3 cell body instead. Would this offer any real advantage besides longer runtime?

I'm sure there are lots of other questions I don't even know to ask.

Thanks!

scout24

Flashaholic
Nothing better. Build quality, ease of use, maker standing behind their product, customizability through buying different dropins. Three cell bodies are cheap enough after purchase, or buy now to run two larger rechargable cells for free lumens. You can also run the 91 series dropins on the three cell body for more output. Buy with confidence!

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I'm new to quality lights, but I've been reading for about a week and am close to purchasing a turn-key MD2 with the high/low adjustment.

Is there anything else out there that is better in the same price range? Any issues or concerns with the MD2?

I was considering getting the MD2 set up with a 3 cell body instead. Would this offer any real advantage besides longer runtime?

I'm sure there are lots of other questions I don't even know to ask.

Thanks!

The knurling isn't the most aggressive on the body, that would probably be my only minor complaint. Also know the drop ins used aren't throwers so if your looking for distance you might be disappointed. They do throw a good, floody, and useful beam. Otherwise I think it's a very good light. With the two cell body it allows for the use of a single 18650 as opposed to the three cell and using two 18350s (IDK if you can use 16340s x3 with the M61 drop ins, have to check the voltage range). While I'm not opposed to using multiple li-ions together using a single is safer, and easier. I get 2.5-3 hours runtime using a 18650 (3100) with a M61W drop in (200 lm). Get a lower output drop -in and the runtimes will be impressive. It's a good light, plenty of positive reviews here on CPF. Good luck.

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. Would I be able to light us an object well at 50 yards? I would like to have a good throw/hotspot.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies. Would I be able to light us an object well at 50 yards? I would like to have a good throw/hotspot.

Yes but again it's not a strong thrower so you'll not have a bright hot spot. I'd say it's a medium thrower at best with good flood. The drop ins offered by Malkoff are xpg/xpg2 emitters but there are some M61 drop ins made by Malkoff for distributors that use other emitters like the 219a/b which are even floodier with less throw, FYI.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
If your looking for 50 yards of throw and good runtimes consider the reduced output drop ins like the M61L and M61WL.

JMFWSU

Newly Enlightened
Actually, 100 yards of throw would be great if I could get it. Do the reduced output drop ins offer better throw than the M61?

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
No. Same beam patten (assuming it's the same emitter) but with less lumens so the throw is reduced. It also depends on the lighting conditions you'll be using the light in, rural with little ambient light, I think you'll be fine with the lower output drop in. Urban, lots of light pollution, more lumens helps. The drop ins are listed as such, M61, M61L, M61LL, with the first being full output and the following two being reduced in output but offering better runtimes.

Cerealand

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oveready and Elzetta sell th M60 Malkoff drop-in. The M60 use an optic so the thow may be a better.

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 from Elzetta is not mentioned as being compatible with Malkoff lights but instead with "Surefire® G2, G2Z, G3, 6P, 9P, M2, C2, and C3 as an upgrade and replacement to the original P60 light module".

Correct me if I'm wrong though. Not that familiar with Malkoffs or Elzettas.

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
The M60 will fit in the MD2 bezel - it just won't need the lens that comes with the unit.

The M60 uses its own integrated lens to shape the beam; the M61 doesn't have that lens and requires a lens that comes with the bezel.

That said, I have several MD2s and love them - but "better" and "best" are subjective. It depends on your wants/needs.

As to the throw/spill ratio - most lights that have a good, solid hotspot at 100 yards are not likely to have great spill, considering how much of the light has to be focused to create good throw. So it really depends on the application you have in mind - the M61 is great for close to medium range applications; the M60 is better for longer distances while still maintaining a good throw-to-spill balance.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the M60 drop ins, they have a slightly higher voltage range. The M61 series have slightly lower making them a little better if running li-ions, they stay in regulation longer.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my experience, the M61 throws about as well as the M60, but has a much, much more useable beam profile.

OP, I'd get the MD2 with a M61 and call it good. Don't get the N, W, or 219 versions because they will be dimmer (and floodier w/ the 219). The high/low ring makes the light a nice all arounder.

As for body size, if you can comfortably carry the 3 cell version, go for it. I like the larger size for more grip, plus the ability to run longer, also you can use 2xAA for emergency use with greatly reduced output.

TheVat26

Enlightened
The MD2 is worth every penny. As others have mentioned, the beam profile is flawless and designed more for spill. It provides ample throw/spill up to around 35-40 yards, and will scratch at 100 or so, with just enough light to help you distinguish movement versus clear target acquisition.

The standard M61 that comes with the turnkey MD2 appears nuetral with no purple or blue hues so color rendering is good. I agree with cland just get the standard M61. I'm glad I bought one awhile ago because it has truly slowed down my flashaholism in the sense that very few lights can compare with the quality, runtime, simple interface, future upgradability, customer service, etc.

buckaroo1

Newly Enlightened
Glad to hear all of the positive comments on the MD2, since I ordered one yesterday.

scout24

Flashaholic
In addition to bombproof Malkoff build quality, you get to experience two of the most-lauded attributes of McGizmo's lights at a bargain buy in: The McClicky Switch, which will spoil you for all others, and Don designed the reflector so the beam pattern is beautiful. :)

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everything posted. Especially about getting the McGizmo clickie and reflector. The standard cool white dropins have the most output. The neutral and warm white dropins have slightly less output. You can also get different dropins for different purposes - a M61L or LL for longer runtime.

I'll throw out another option. The MD2, hi/lo ring and the M361 drop in running on 1x18650. 6 levels. A nice option if you like very low modes. If you don't like very low modes, you can skip the hi/lo ring and stick with the standard 3 modes. This is a special order, which means you'll have the pleasure (which I've never had) of talking to Mrs. Malkoff.

pineapple

Newly Enlightened
The turn-key MD2 is a great light. You might consider adding the pocket clip (even if you don't intend to pocket carry), 'cause otherwise it'll roll around if it's laid on its side.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the MD2 Hi/Lo with the M361 Neutral. I like it but I don't like the fact that it doesn't have an anti-roll bezel like the Surefire lights.

Don't forget that if you already have a Surefire then you can by a Malkoff drop-in to fit.