[size=+3]Varta SuperLife AA[/size]

DSC_5637.jpg

Official specifications:
  • VARTA Type: 02006
  • Reference IEC: R6
  • Battery Size: AA
  • Height: 50.5 mm
  • Weight: 18.0 gr
  • Electrochemical System: Zinc Carbon (ZN/CA)
  • Voltage: 1.5 V
  • Shelf Life: 36 months
  • Typical Capacity C (mAh): 1000 (discharge with high-resistance)
  • Permissible Temperature Range: -10°C ... 50°C
  • Volume (ccm): 7.6

Varta%20SuperLife%20AA-info.png

This is the battery type that was used before alkaline.

DSC_5619.jpg

DSC_5638.jpg
DSC_5639.jpg

DSC_5640.jpg

DSC_5641.jpg

DSC_5642.jpg

Varta%20SuperLife%20AA-Capacity.png

The cell cannot handle much load, before the voltage collapses.

Varta%20SuperLife%20AA-CapacityTime.png

Varta%20SuperLife%20AA-CapacityTimeHours.png

Varta%20SuperLife%20AA-Energy.png

[size=+3]Conclusion[/size]

This chemistry batteries are very seldom used today and there is a reason for it: Low capacity and no ability to handle much current.
A alkaline AAA cell has considerable better performance than this AA cell.

[size=+3]Notes and links[/size]

How is the test done and how to read the charts
Compare to other AA/AAA batteries: Alkaline/NiMH/Lithium

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Never been keen on Varta nothing but trouble every time i have bought the brand,gave up over 10 years ago and will never use again.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Never been keen on Varta nothing but trouble every time i have bought the brand,gave up over 10 years ago and will never use again.

The bad performance on this battery is not related to Varta, but to the chemistry. Any manufacturer using Zinc-Carbon will get bad performance.

In my opinion it is interesting to see how much better alkalines are, compared to this old chemistry.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
The bad performance on this battery is not related to Varta, but to the chemistry. Any manufacturer using Zinc-Carbon will get bad performance.

In my opinion it is interesting to see how much better alkalines are, compared to this old chemistry.
! am referring to the brand in general,to be fair Varta returned all my monies in full.

Viking

Enlightened
We don't see too many reviews of this chemistry these days , so I welcome you took the time and made one for us. I especially like the comparator on on your website where we are able to compare the performance to other cells.

Once again thank you for your hard work HKJ.

Last edited:

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another excellent review. HKJ! :thumbsup:

Is the chemistry of the cell Zinc Carbon?

Thanks a lot for your time and effort for doing this hard work. :bow:

espresso

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Vartas are the most available batteries where I live. Yes superlife is pretty bad for today's standards but for low consumption devices they work alright. I've tested them in my mouse vs Varta Max Tech.
Varta Superlife runtime: 1 month 12 days
Varta MaxTech runtime: 5 months 10 days
Zinc Carbon is considerably lighter and cheaper, but not several times cheaper. And it has a short shelf life too. So it's really there as a remnant of some old times.

On the other hand, Varta's alkaline types are pretty decent products. I've been using them throughout household for years and never found them leaking. They also seem to have more stamina in high drain applications than their appropriate Duracell rivals. I've had E-block 9V Varta outperform Duracell by far in a digital tachometer (it has a laser).
Here's a quick look at tests from batteryshowdown.com
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/static/images/mah_large_1000mA.png
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/static/images/mah_large_200mA.png

Also, here's a comparison among Varta's Long Life, High Energy, Max Tech and Duracell's Simply, Plus, Ultra. The following test was ordered by Varta so you may not want to take it as an independent study. But it's fun to see the behaviour in different scenarios (remote, flash, motor, radio....)
http://www.varta-consumer.com/~/med...s/en-GB/Varta_UK-Primary_battery_testing.ashx

I'd like to see an independent test of Max Tech vs High Energy as my observations are that these two types are the same. Allegedly Max Tech should have more power when drained in high current pulses (flash).

HKJ

Flashaholic
I do have a review for the "Long life" batteries (Not published yet), but not the other ones. At the current time I have way to many LiIon batteries in queue to look at alkaline batteries.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't realize that zinc-carbon batteries would immediately die at 2 amps. You're right, they make alkalines look good!

I still get this chemistry included with some electronics like remote controls. At such low current, I suppose they stand up okay. I'm not sure if they leak more or less than alkalines, but I replace them with Eneloops just to be safe.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
I didn't realize that zinc-carbon batteries would immediately die at 2 amps. You're right, they make alkalines look good!

I still get this chemistry included with some electronics like remote controls. At such low current, I suppose they stand up okay. I'm not sure if they leak more or less than alkalines, but I replace them with Eneloops just to be safe.

I get this too, I always give the batteries to relatives and replace with something else, usually lithium or rechargable. From what I hear on here they are more prone to leaking than alkaline. I usually see these batteries included with remotes or anamatronic toys.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I usually see these batteries included with remotes or anamatronic toys.

You also occasionally still see 'Super Heavy Duty' zinc chloride cells at dollar stores. These cells are called 'heavy duty' because they were an improvement over standard Leclanche cells. But to call them an improvement is a little like saying ultra-light cigarettes are more healthful than full flavor cigarettes.

SaraAB87

Newly Enlightened
Yeah just saw some of those today, also saw "super alkaline" "or super heavy duty alkaline" whatever that is supposed to mean.

tokaji

Newly Enlightened
I use Varta Superlife battery for remote controls, because it is very light and it works just right for years in this application. With alkalines, some of our remotes go out of balance.