New Maglite 3rd Generation 2D/3D - 524 + 625 lumens stock!

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw these at Brightguy. Looks like Mag has suddenly cranked up the power!!

These have the ability to adjust the UI somewhat. 3 modes. Should be pretty decent, and maybe pretty nice running nimh D's.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think so. Third Gen doesn't sound like a limited edition or Pro version or anything. To me, these will become standard Mags.

Perhaps Mag's declining shelf space in retail locations has lead them to kick it up a few notches and go with a more aggressive circuit.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
It's bout time. Looks like it's still over 30k candela too. The 3D is claiming a bit over 40k. Looking pretty good on the UI too. Much better than the motion sensors they use on other lights.

I wonder how good the heat management or the drive regulation is going to be though.

Mr. Tone

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am glad to see Maglite upping their game. Even though I don't purchase many of their products anymore I still have a special place in my flashaholic heart for them. I have a feeling I am not the only one around here with fond memories of purchasing Maglites as a kid. :grouphug:

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they finally got tired of losing sales to such Home Depot staples as Defiant. Of course, I also have to wonder how good thermal management is with these lights. Even if they are using modern emitters like the XM-L2, this could all be for naught if they have stuck to the basic incan setup of a moving emitter with the cammed focusing system.

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Mag-Lite LED (XP-E) 2D: 134 lumen, 37567 cd, 388 meter
Mag-Lite LED Pro (XP-G) 2D: 274 lumen, 33560 cd, 366 meter
Mag-Lite 3rd Gen (LM-L2) 2D: 524 lumen, 33573 cd, 366 meter

Mag-Lite 3rd Gen (LM-L2) 3D: 625 lumen, 41200 cd, 406 meter

First gen is still the best throw (and battery life). The LED keeps getting bigger.

Last edited:

mudcamper

Newly Enlightened
Of course, I also have to wonder how good thermal management is with these lights. Even if they are using modern emitters like the XM-L2, this could all be for naught if they have stuck to the basic incan setup of a moving emitter with the cammed focusing system.

Good point. According to the specs at BrightGuy, it is still focusable. It would be really cool if they made it focusable but somehow managed to heat-sink it.

eff

Enlightened
Mag-Lite LED (XP-E) 2D: 134 lumen, 37567 cd, 388 meter
Mag-Lite LED Pro (XP-G) 2D: 274 lumen, 33560 cd, 366 meter
Mag-Lite 3rd Gen 2D: 524 lumen, 33573 cd, 366 meter
Mag-Lite 3rd Gen 3D: 625 lumen, 41200 cd, 406 meter

First gen is still the best throw. The LED keeps getting bigger. Anyone know what it is?

Very nice upgrade from Maglite :)
I wonder how's the heatsink on those new models ?

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
Mag Industries really needs to get on the ball with their website. They have come out with several great new products lately, and the site still has absolutely nothing about them. They should be pimping these bad boys big time. Still, good for them. The MiniMag Pro just got an XML2, so it looks like they are increasing the pace of their updates.

I can't be sure, but the head of these new D-cells looks a bit different. More like the Mag-Charger.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
Maglite has never been fast to update their site.

Heat sinking is fairly simple to do in a Maglite. Malkoff drop ins are heatsinked and still focus from my understanding.

33k candela vs 37k candela is going to be barely noticeable. It will be interesting to compare the beam patterns between the 3 generations and see which is the most useful.

El Camino

Newly Enlightened
The XML isn't really a thrower unless you have a really large reflector. And I think (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the XP-E still has more surface brightness, as it is so much smaller.

SimulatedZero

Enlightened
You're absolutely correct. The XP-E has a much higher surface brightness ratio because of its compact size. That's one reason I prefer that LED in smaller lights. It's not as efficient, but it throws farther.
That being said the Maglite has a fairly large reflector and it seems like they've done a good job at keeping the lights fairly consistent in terms of throw.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heat sinking is fairly simple to do in a Maglite. Malkoff drop ins are heatsinked and still focus from my understanding.

A Mag with a Malkoff drop-in can still focus. But it is slower and clumsier than the stock Mag cammed focusing system. I'm not exactly sure how Mag handles this. But hopefully, there is actually a thermal path between the emitter and body of the light.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should also note that 524 lumens from 2xNiMH is quite revolutionary if they actually pull it off. 2xNiMH lights have LONG been hobbled by the inability to make a high current boost driver. If this 524 lumens is for real, this light just might be the first 2xNiMH light to break the 400 lumen barrier.

saypat

Enlightened
check out the Thrunite Neutron 2A V2 then. 460 lumens from (1) AA; 720 lumens from (2) AA; 800 lumens from a 14500.