Beta QR quick release V2

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
I just did that this morning and am also interested in the differences. I wasn't able to get in on the original Beta-QR so it's nice to have a chance to get in on it this time.

Also, holy cow.

$19,555
pledged of $1,000 goal

Newguy2012

Enlightened
I'm guessing it twists off. It doesn't look like there anything to depress to release. Or maybe it's magnetic?

Last edited:

gonefishing

Enlightened
Backed as well! Love Brass, never really used the QR as I liked it just fine w/o.

Newguy2012

Enlightened
The project creator of the Hook message me back bout the QR."The new QR is simply push to connect and pull to disconnect. It uses a proprietary "canted coil spring" to provide a "snap together" action: two pieces, no moving parts, nothing to break and the spring is replaceable if that's ever needed. I will have a video update soon with it in action."

Dingle1911

Enlightened
That mechanism sounds interesting. I am looking forward to the video. Thanks Newguy2012.

gunga

Flashaholic
I would like to see the size difference between the two as well as compared to some popular AAA lights too. I had heard that the original was quite long...

Dingle1911

Enlightened
The best I can do at the moment is below. As you can see the QR itself adds a good bit to the package. I don't really mind it on my keychain. I enjoy the added runtime over the Veleno Quantum D2 which I now use as a neck light. The new v2 QR looks like it may be about 1/2 the length?

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I purchased the Trifecta and I have no problem moving the heads around between the three finishes. The Beta heads will also work on the Maratac AAA body. The Maratac head will fit the Beta body, but it does not function.

@Newguy2012, it does look like the tail has been trimmed some and it looks like there is a groove on the v2 QR, so I am guessing that the canted spring is in the flashlight body which would mean that the new Beta QR is not backwards compatible.

Dingle1911

Enlightened
I asked a question through Kick Starter and received a reply stating that the v2 QR is not backwards compatible with the v1 QR. I am still interested in the new mechanism, but I was hoping for backwards compatibility.

greatabpe

Newly Enlightened
I actually emailed Jason a few days ago about the V2. His response was:

All the lights are the same size and all of the Betas are going to be V2, but the brass will not be offered unless there is manufacturing over-run.*

Cheers,

Jason

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Does that mean the older betas can be made compatible with the V2? or New orders will V2?