New Spy 007/ Tri-V Tailcap (Video added)

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I (along with a few others) have had the honor of beta testing the new Spy tail cap. No longer does the user need a little stick or a bead to open the tail cap on his or her Spy flashlight. A twist of the base of the tail cap and boom, it comes off. The twisting is smooth and requires the right amount of resistance that gives you a satisfaction of a quality product. The new tail cap does add a little length to the OAL of the Spy. Not an issue for me.

My main concern was the tail cap coming off inadvertently in my pocket. I have had this tail cap installed on my light for several months, 6-8 months at least. Not one time has it come off in my pocket. It hasn't come off unless I wanted to come off.

One question I haven't asked is, does it add water resistance? I do not know. The Tri-V2 is not a light I carry around water situations whether it's rain or swimming or fishing. But without the little release button there anymore I can't help but think it adds to water resistance. I could be wrong however, maybe the twisting parts is a new water entry point.

Just like everything else Dave has made, this is a flawless titanium flashlight part. I often stare at the internals just admiring the thought that went into the creation of this tail cap. Well done Dave!!!

Here are a few pics, will try to upload a quick video tomorrow.

Others feel free to post your observations and pics/vids here as well.

Last edited:

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: New Spy 007/ Tri-V Tailcap

Thanks for taking the time to write this up and for the pics PSM....
Dave never ceases to amaze :)

IsaacL

Enlightened

Yes.

Looks like it latches the same way but twisting provides the pin movement instead of pressing a button.

Kid9P

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great video !

That gunner grip Tri-V looks amazing as well !!

Zandar

Enlightened
Thanks so much for this review. I really like this new design,which sure looks easier to use. I've been saving up for a while now for a TR~V to complement my 007. My problem is how am I going to choose just 1 light from the soon to be 4 upgrades/ models. Even now I can hear that sage advice "buy all 4!" Data stop whispering in my ear.I'm not addicted, really I'm not?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also a lucky beta tester.
It is very smooth & easy to use.
I have had no issues with mine. I've taken it off & put it on multiple times/day, just to test it.
It has never released on it's own.
It adds a tiny bit of length, but really not much and you probably wouldn't notice the difference unless you had 2 lights standing beside each other.
I don't like lanyards, so this is the perfect alteration to a SPY.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
EU1C4645s.jpg

Great video PSM. Thank you so much for putting that together.

This Twist Cap is currently in Beta test and not available yet.

The new Twist Cap is water resistant and can be used around water or in the rain just like the standard battery cap. It however is not rated for diving.

Above is a picture of one of the internal pieces of this new cap. If you look closely you can see a bearing groove around the round boss. Very small stainless steel ball bearings (0.040") ride in that groove. This creates an extremely low friction action to the battery cap. As far as latching onto the hooks of the body, it is not a change from the previous battery cap. The cap still pulls down onto the back of the body the same way it did before.

The design took many months to perfect. There are 18 internal components (not including the 20 ball bearings). The two machined titanium parts require very precise tolerances. Mike and I started working on this just shy of two years ago. I want to make a big shout out to Mike here because without his patience and expert machining ability we would never have gotten through this.

This should be available later this year through early next year, on the 007, the new Tri-V and one of the other new lights. It will be an optional accessory on these lights as the original battery cap will still be standard equipment.

Cheers
Dave

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the video PSM. This is a really amazing achievement. I love how easy the action to remove the tailcap is. The new Tri-V3 is going an amazing light but these options are sure to add up. Time to start saving up. :)

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
My New Tail Cap fits the Tri-V2 very nicely and pretty well on my XML SPY, but it keeps popping off my XPG SPY.( actually it won't even lock down on this light).
I talked to Dave, and he said there are small variances in each light( I believe in the connection posts) so the caps may not work on all lights. So to avoid any problems, they will only be sold on new lights, where he can make sure each fits & works perfectly before shipping them out.
I don't know what the extra cost would be for the tail cap, but I would order my next SPY with one without hesitation.

One other minor benefit of this cap.
For anyone that has a SPY, the small edge of the cap that rests on the sides of the body of the light ( flat parts), it is tapered a bit thinner than the round edges. This creates a more pronounced "ridge" ( for lack of a better term).
On the NEW Cap, since it is about 1mm thicker, this ridge feels smoother because it is a tiny bit thicker. So for me, it make the whole light feel better. Minor minor thing, but I really like that subtle change too.
If you look in the above pictures with the 2 side by side, you can see this "ridge" on the left, right above the SWGG dimplings.

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Twist Cap is 1/16" thicker than the standard SPY battery cap and so, makes the overall light 1/16" longer.

Cheers
Dave