New Cibie Oscar LEDs!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Wow, this is big news. First new Cibie Oscar lamps in many years: full-LED auxiliary high beam ("driving") lamps in three sizes. And they're waterproof, not just splash resistant. I will have to see if I can get my paws on some of them to try, the specs look great.

There was no mention of this from the (many) Valeo people at Vision Congress, the vehicle lighting conference and exposition I've been at since Monday, but that doesn't surprise me; this event is 100% OEM and no aftermarket. Some really cool stuff described and demonstrated.

(Dan Stern was there, but I didn't get much chance to chit-chat with him; he was helping run the nighttime ride-and-drive event at Sartory race track and he looked harried (and probably under-slept) so I don't know if he knows any more detail.)

Hilldweller

Enlightened
Great googlie mooglie, Virgil.
Get me a pair.

JWS is sending me a set of the new 8700 Evolution 2 headlamps ---- these would be the perfect compliment.

please please please please...

sadtimes

Enlightened
Oh man, that looks awesome, especially since it says they offer multiple color temperatures

Marcturus

Enlightened
They might not yet have much of a CCT choice, I only spotted "Oscar LED - 6000K" at the other slideshared file
EDIT: on this page:
http://image.slidesharecdn.com/vale...g-left-hand-drive-catalogue-954099-13-638.jpg

But don't delay! Order now, or you'll risk ending up empty-handed just like Oscar fans who thought they could wait for SC Generation 2.
popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Supur-Lyte

Newly Enlightened
Be sure to follow the further adventures of these guys as they pull off to the side of the road and show us how to precisely align their Cibie Super Oscars with 6000K HID kit on a Swift GTI.

If following the bouncing balls of light is making you nauseous, then just jump forward to the 1:00 mark for their "tutorial" in beam aiming.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Interesting! Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps. Wonder why they didnt list wattage/amp draw on these?

sadtimes

Enlightened
Interesting! Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps. Wonder why they didnt list wattage/amp draw on these?

Couldve sworn I saw 14 watts somewhere in the flyer

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Feel free to enlighten us with the problems associated the "modern" plastic car headlamps and i am pretty certain i know what you are going to say.:)

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only downside I see with the LED Oscar series is the use of polycarbonate lens vs glass,so sooner or later we will experience all the problems we hate to see with "modern" plastic car headlamps.

Feel free to enlighten us with the problems associated the "modern" plastic car headlamps and i am pretty certain i know what you are going to say.:)

Well, if you knew what he was going to say, why would you need enlightenment?

The major problem with lamps whose lenses are polycarbonate is that they crack, haze, crust, and craze from UV exposure, and their hardcoat is etched away by road grit and weakened by car was chemicals. Maybe for someone in Rhyl, UV is not a huge issue, with the relatively low UV indices found there. For someone in Phoenix, Arizona, UV certainly is an issue. Glass, being glass, will withstand all those environmental rigors extremely well.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh man, that looks awesome, especially since it says they offer multiple color temperatures

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

They describe, on page 21, that an advantage of LEDs are "multiple color temperature options". Yes, that *is* an advantage of LEDs. However, I don't infer from it that Cibié will in turn offer "multiple color temperature options" in the products utilizing LEDs.

This is reinforced in looking at the table of new products-- they show all kinds of finish types and colors, but they do not describe availability of any particular color temperatures.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, if you knew what he was going to say, why would you need enlightenment?

The major problem with lamps whose lenses are polycarbonate is that they crack, haze, crust, and craze from UV exposure, and their hardcoat is etched away by road grit and weakened by car was chemicals. Maybe for someone in Rhyl, UV is not a huge issue, with the relatively low UV indices found there. For someone in Phoenix, Arizona, UV certainly is an issue. Glass, being glass, will withstand all those environmental rigors extremely well.

Thank you and yes not a big problem over here on modern cars that are changed within 5 years.Avoid cheap bulbs and cheap screen wash if you have lamp wipers as they aid the yellowing effect.

Check out the UK round of the World Rally Championship......Wales Rally GB and see what lights the professionals are fitting for the event which starts in November.

Last edited:

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you and yes not a big problem over here on modern cars that are changed within 5 years.Avoid cheap bulbs and cheap screen wash if you have lamp wipers as they aid the yellowing effect.
Is "argument from classism" a logical fallacy?

Some people keep their cars longer than 5 years. Some people buy *used* cars. Some people can't afford the expensive screen wash.
Great that some people trade in their cars every 5, 4, or 2 years. Great that some people can afford the genuine replacement parts when they need them.

It'd be nice if headlamps were subject to standards seemingly as rigorous as FMVSS 209, as far as durability goes.

sadtimes

Enlightened
They describe, on page 21, that an advantage of LEDs are "multiple color temperature options". Yes, that *is* an advantage of LEDs. However, I don't infer from it that Cibié will in turn offer "multiple color temperature options" in the products utilizing LEDs.

This is reinforced in looking at the table of new products-- they show all kinds of finish types and colors, but they do not describe availability of any particular color temperatures.

Kinda what i was thinking...I doubt they will offer more than 1 temperature, much less a high cri. Oh well.

Marcturus

Enlightened
For the larger sizes, a number of Finnish sites now show nicely discounted pricing in euros. All 6000K, though.

EDIT:
several links, inserted current low prices for black colored products

http://autoextra.fi/valikkosivut/Cibie.php

http://www.tarvikkeet.fi/tuotteet/valotuotteet/lisavalot/kaukovalot/led-kaukovalot1/cibie

Cibie Super OSCAR LED 230mm ref. 17.5
258.30 EUR - Black (61-45308)

Cibie Super OSCAR LED 230mm ref. 27.5
288.40 EUR - Black (61-45312)

http://www.ojanpera.net/

black OSCAR LED 180 REF 17.5
195.00 EUR
157.26 EUR VAT 0%

black SUPER OSCAR LED 230 REF 27.5 + PARKING LEDS
280.00 EUR
225,81 EUR VAT 0%

Last edited:

Marcturus

Enlightened
Thanks @HUGO!
icon10.gif

Cibié put a video on Youtube,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT73AiBRI0w

Dim the room lights, and replay in embedded mode:
https://www.youtube.com/embed/LT73AiBRI0w

Video lacks precise lamp dimensions, more detailed beam descriptions, and power uptake figures - I doubt the lamps are all 14W.

The Valeo lab guy
thumbsup.gif
sure looks mighty serious when conducting that immersion test.
icon12.gif

Edit:
I wonder if the "competitor's product" shown in the video might be this one:
http://www.jussinmaki.net/blogi/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Hella-Compact-LED-29lux-INFO.jpg
(from http://www.jussinmaki.net/blogi/jattimainen-kaukovavertailu/)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.