Fenix CL20 lantern review

Elitl

Newly Enlightened
REVIEW FENIX CAMPING LANTERN CL20

TYPE: Lantern

LED: 9 neutral white LEDs and two red of indeterminate type.

MODES: 4 neutral white light plus 2 red light.

COMPATIBLE BATTERY: 1xCR123A or 2xAA (alkaline or NiMH)

DATE: October 2014

LINKS: Official Site ... Fenix http://www.fenixlight.com/ProductMore.aspx?id=148&tid=31&cid=30

DISCLAIMERS

Lamp provided by Fenix to perform a review for its Fenix CL20 Camping Lantern Global Testing Campaign, and which i was chosen as one of the testers. After testing I will retain the sample.
I wrote the original review in spanish and then translated to English, excuse me for possible flaws.

ry5S2DK.jpg

Fenix ​​opens a new lighting range with the CL20, camping lamp diffused light, which previously only was offered through diffusers for their flashlights.

In this case it is a product for specific needs: a flooder illumination lamp, compact and portable. To achieve this, Fenix has opted for a functional design with rounded shapes and plastic construction, with a shape reminiscent of a snail.

A brief summary of its features:

Dimensions: 78.4 mm (length) x 45.2mm (width) x 59.1mm (height)
Weight (without batteries) 103.2 grams
Digitally regulated.
Single button operation.
Reverse polarity protection prevents damage due improper placement of the battery.
Two magnets embedded in the base for attachment to metal surfaces.
Integrated retaining ring closure system for hanging lamp.

The sample I tested is olive color, but it's also available in clear blue tone.
According to the standard FL 1 supports up to 1.5m impacts, provides useful illumination up to 10m and is waterproof to IPX 6 standard.

Presentation is in a cardboard and plastic package that must be broken to access the product. This comes with a manual in several languages,​ warranty card, one extra silicone seal and two alkaline AA battery.

P3mZGBD.jpg

dh1TYKj.jpg

7TZUCEn.jpg

The user interface is simple: when you press the only button for more than 0.8 seconds starts in white light mode. Each subsequent press cycles through the four levels: low, medium, high and turbo. Pressing for another 0.8 seconds goes off. Memory remembers last used mode.

Once it is on double-click leads to red light mode: first SOS mode and after a simple click, solid red mode. Double clicking returns to white light. The feel is solid and defined and can be operated with gloves (well, not too thick gloves...)

RBXIqR3.jpg

The turbo mode is rated at 165 lumens, but auto-down after 10 minutes to 100 lumens high mode to avoid overheating LEDs.

Runtime and modes according to Fenix ​​are:

3IB2M0M.jpg

The dual feeding with 2AAs or CR123A (14500 and RCR123 are banned) is smart, so space is well used and adds more battery options. It is usual to take the same tube with an adapter to switch both types of batteries one by one (like Fenix HL50) but 2xAA or 1xCR123A is a preferable solution in terms of runtime. Both types can not be used simultaneously because of the shape of the inner compartment (at least with the cover closed) Using primary lithium CR123A or AA battery (not 14500) allows to use without problem at low temperatures.

oujCi4P.jpg

BxZI44G.jpg

TrW3YkL.jpg

8Jy6Atr.jpg

The cover has a ring used to hang the lamp but also doubles as locking mechanism. Two powerful magnets are embedded on its outer face. They can withstand the weight of the lamp on any magnetic capable surface.

Tkv1AHz.jpg

9l0D3QR.jpg

Being a full flooder beamshots should be to be considered by the ability to evenly illuminate the immediate surroundings.

low mode
Q9czTGJ.jpg

medium mode
Onio7Pu.jpg

high mode
5jryouv.jpg

turbo mode
pUXqVyl.jpg

The Gorillatorch lantern to see pattern differences.
mtDfPDH.jpg

red mode
ddeyVNe.jpg

comparing the red mode in Gorillatorch
hxL1lfZ.jpg

The difference with a cooler LED can be seen in this shot with the Gorillatorch Switchback
sWzsRfk.jpg

IMPRESSIONS:

The Fenix ​​CL20 has a light and compact solid construction. Its small size and rounded shape makes it desirable in the backpack of any camping fan.

gvxtaqi.jpg

The LEDs provide a true neutral white tone. The beam is quite uniform through the use of multiple LEDs and large diffuser, although the side light is softer, projecting more light toward the top.

The modes are sufficient and well spaced, although the limited duration of the turbo mode is a disappointment and I would not mind higher weight in a heatsink aluminum mass to achieve those runtimes in turbo mode continuously. No ultra-low modes in white mode, but red mode fulfills that role. Anyway it would be preferable to access red mode directly without going through the white light if you do not want to lose night vision. Maybe I missed too a slow white beacon mode, which i find useful, for example for locating the tent.

I was shocked by the low runtime of the solid red considering it only provides 1.5 lumens, so i suspect the red leds are not very efficient.

4R5bs1e.jpg

QZrHDKY.jpg

The contacts seem of quality and although the batteries are placed easily they are not as easy to remove. The quality of the plastic seems quite strong and able to properly hold a stomp or accidental fall. You can not plunge it, but it is waterproof so it should be enough given its preferential use in camp.

QngAsYL.jpg

Compared to the other compact lamps I have the CL20 wins hands down in terms of modes, power and tone of the led. Only Gorillatorch Switchback comes close but is less compact and heavier (well, it doubles as a headlamp too)

uLZvyqB.jpg

Ia8tFgb.jpg

I could expand this review to indicate like behaves in camping when I have chance to use it outdoors on camping, but i don't know when, because winter is coming ...:)

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review. Ordered one yesterday from Fenix Outfitters...I should have it Wednesday. Looking forward to it. Magnet and hanger sold me.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review. Just need someone to crack one of these open to see inside. I don't suppose it will float will it being only IPX6?

fasuto

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. Do you have the spanish version online?
I'm also dissapointed by the red mode, difficult and low runtime, but i'm going to buy it anyway

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for letting us know about the step down. I think that's poor design in a lantern.

D6859

Enlightened
Thanks for letting us know about the step down. I think that's poor design in a lantern.

I think the step down is there not because the led might overheat but to save the batter(y/ies). How hot can 165 lm led get? What is the body of the lanter made off? In 10 minutes your eyes get used to the darkness and you don't need so much light. You might not even notice the step down until you really need more light.

Btw, why are RCR123 batteries banned? Aren't they using the same voltage as RC123A?

Archangel

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you mean CR123A? If so, no. RCR123As are 3.7v nominal, 4.2 fully charged. As for 165lm being too hot, it depends on just how limited the heat sinking is. That really isn't Fenix's strong suit.

igoman

Newly Enlightened
I would like to see a motion sensor Fenix CL20. I have the Osram Spylux, but I would like a brighter light that would light up a wider area. Any recommendations?

magicstone12

Banned
I would like to see a motion sensor Fenix CL20. I have the Osram Spylux, but I would like a brighter light that would light up a wider area. Any recommendations?

CL20 is a good choice if you use it in the camp,but as it is 165 lumens,so it can not light up a large area.