• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Feeler for metal boot retaining ring for Macs tri-edc

gonefishing

Enlightened
CPF members and admin.
Not sure if this is the right place, so move to the appropriate sub-forum if necessary.

I recently received my Mac Tri-edc and as others have noted, the plastic retaining ring for the boot is easily scratched and there are no tools available to make the removal easy.

I started communication with a local machine shop to see if some could be made out of metal, either brass or stainless steel with a custom spanner tool for removal.

I'm considering having about 25 or so made but wanted to see if there is enough interest in the community to have more made. Price would around 20-25 dollars. I'm still in the design process if a tool would be beneficial or if slots for needle nose pliers would be an option.

Your thoughts and comments are helpful!

Nick

UPDATE:
After talking things through with Isaac, it has been decided that we will go with multiple holes. This way if one set gets buggered up, you have another set to work with. I am also looking into having a custom tool made as well. You would still be able to use a tool of your own if you loose or damage the one that is being made. Thanks for all the input!

Nick 10-25-14

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Down for 2!

It would be nice if they looked something like the ones
used for the V10R

whizdumb

Newly Enlightened
In for 2. Let us know when things get moving on this. Is the ring on the tri edc good for the sst50 and xml edc?

gonefishing

Enlightened
In for 2. Let us know when things get moving on this. Is the ring on the tri edc good for the sst50 and xml edc?

Will do! I don't know if he uses the same ring for all his lights. I would imagine they would fit since they all use the Mcgizmo clicky but not 100% sure.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
I'm in, if they fit the EDC. Hopefully someone that has both can let us know if they're the same.

gonefishing

Enlightened
So this is the v10r retaining ring. As you can see I did a pretty good mucking it up trying to get it off. Couldn't get a good enough purchase and I used specialty tweezers from a hobby store. Couldn't get my pliers in there either. As much as I don't like specialty tools, I think it might be the best option.

706d30c943b23bc6ae4bde4bed0d4de2.jpg

stewdogg

Enlightened
I would be in for one.
I have an XML EDC... everything in the head is the same as the Tri so, I imagine the rear end would be the same.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Thanks for the input! The v10 had a raised bevel with notches cut out. Is that what your thinking?
Yup that's the one. We probably need a better way to remove them other than those notches.

The retaining rings are the same for the Tri EDC, SST-50, EDC XML.