How to flash leds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bomb Squad Reject

Newly Enlightened
I've bought leds pre-wired with resistors, 12v and need a way to flash them controllably. What are my options?

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I've bought leds pre-wired with resistors, 12v and need a way to flash them controllably. What are my options?

Put the led's within line of sight and drop trow. Jk.

If they're for an automotive application there are plenty of flasher relays you can get. Just make sure they are not designed for filament bulbs, those won't flash leds. Look for the words "solid state" or "digital".

If you want to have the flash rate adjustable, someone else will have to chime in.

If they are for a vehicle,you can usually pop down to the local auto parts store and tell the most knowledgeable person you see what you're looking for.

Last edited:

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 12V automotive relay would work in any 12V system, not just in a car.

If you want to roll your own a '555 and a handful of parts is a good option, and would let you adjust on and off times. Or just google "LED flasher" and you get lots of hits.

If you can be more specific about what you are looking for, we can be more helpful.

Bomb Squad Reject

Newly Enlightened
Chasing LEDs

Guide me please. I'm looking for a string of LEDs that react like Christmas motion lights, flashing, chaser, etc.. Are they available? Build my own? What are my options?

Bomb Squad Reject

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. This isn't automotive related. I'm working on backyard lighting and want options.

rollandelliott

Newly Enlightened
I want to use white leds for a photobooth and have them flash ONCE when the camera fires via a sync cable.
When I google, all I find are circuits that flash them constantly.
I found this one device

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91n0YF3m4I&t=2s

I am going to buy it and take it apart to see how it is done, but will probably need help since I am not an electronics guru.

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.