LED based artificial skylight that is wowing viewers

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
1) :takeit:

2) :paypal:

3) *looks at wallet*

:broke:

4) :awman:

Maybe one day those who aren't rich or in a commercial/business setting will be able to afford it.

I would love, love, love one (or four) of these!

tel0004

Newly Enlightened
I would love this for the winter. I hate the fact that the sun sets at 5pm. I could put one in my living room and close the blinds and maybe feel like its not dark ouside.

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know the size could vary significantly and shape of the final products but I want to know three things:

Costs for different models, energy used, and can they simulate different times of day. I'm assuming it only simulates the bright mid-day sun effect. Get these doing twilight and I'm sold no matter how empty my wallet is lol.

JoakimFlorence

Newly Enlightened
I can now tell you all how this light works. There is a chamber a little more than twice as long as the length of the opening aperture of the skylight below. At the far end of this chamber there is an LED lamp with a collimating lens in front of it, just like a projector. This beam shines horizontally through the chamber. The chamber is filled with water with a cloudy suspension of nanoparticles. These act to cause Rayleigh scattering on the beam of light. Then a mirror over the skylight directs the beam downwards. The angle of the mirror can be electronically adjusted so as to adjust the angle of the beam of light (giving the appearance of the sun slowly moving across the sky).

The horizontal length of the chamber, as well as the collimating lens, make the beam of light very collimated into relatively linear beam, making it appear that the light in the skylight is much further away than it actually is. This helps create the illusion of depth because that is how sunlight behaves. The process of Rayleigh scattering, which mimics the natural effect of light passing through the atmosphere, also has the effect of shifting the spectral wavelength distribution from the LED source. This also has the effect of helping to make the light appear more natural. The chamber of course is filled with blue light from the scattering as the beam passes through it. This light constitutes the background bluish sky light.

Keitho

Enlightened
This product made me think of a "false window" project from YouTube channel DIY perks. It is missing a lot of features from the OP product, but the diy version is recycled and essentially free! https://youtu.be/Y2KK4YiOO1o

Won't win lighting innovation of the year, though!