GE Reveal A19 LEDs - two different versions?

slantedview

Newly Enlightened
I just picked up a few GE Reveal A19 LED bulbs at Home Depot and when I got home I noticed that I seem to have two different versions of the same bulb: one has blue'ish tinted glass and states 680 lumens on the package and the other has white glass and states 570 lumens. The GE website states the A19 LED is 570 lumens. What is this 680 bulb - an older version of the same model? Also worth noting, the 680 lumen bulb feels noticeably lighter.

Has anyone noticed that there seems to be two versions of this bulb? Any idea what the difference is in terms of light quality or performance?

RQvQLM7.jpg

slantedview

Newly Enlightened
Spoke to someone at GE lighting who suggested that the 680 lumen bulb is an updated version, but for some reason stores/websites (including GE's own site) haven't updated product descriptions yet. If this is true - it's certainly a nice improvement.

markr6

Flashaholic
Interesting. I may have to check these out.

Just yesterday I took a chance on a GE Reveal LED BR30 style. I only have 2 recessed lights in my home, but they are in the family room and run a lot. I put a dimmer on them which is nice to have on low while watching TV.

They are 2700K, but seem more like 3000K or even cooler. The quality....WOW! Perfectly white and colors look great. No dirty dingy yellow like the Cree bulbs. Even their TW series disappointed me (pretty good, but not great). Dimming isn't great, but acceptable. There's not much adjustabiity; it's more like 4 settings and doesn't get as dim as I would like.

So I'm hoping the A19 have the exact same color quality.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
Well, to add to the confusion, there are now THREE versions of the GE Reveal A19 60-Watt equivalent LED: the original 570 lumen version and the subsequent 680 lumen revision (both pictured above) and now the revised 3rd generation 800 lumen version. Physically, the new bulb is kind of a blend of the first two versions - the globe portion is a bit paler and closer in color to the original 570 lumen version, and attaches to the lower section more seamlessly/flush than the 680 lumen version but not as seamlessly as the original. The biggest difference is in the quality of the light that the new bulb produces. It is a much warmer/yellower color then either of the earlier versions. You can tell immediately when the bulb is lit side by side with either of the earlier versions that this new bulb is not nearly as white and that the light that it produces is not nearly as "clean."

I tried searching the web for info on this latest version and there is NOTHING. I contacted GE and even they have virtually no info on this latest version (in fact they still haven't updated the info on their website from the ORIGINAL version!). However, I did learn, assuming the source information that the GE guy came up with can be trusted, that the latest version has a color temperature of 2700 compared to the earlier versions which have a temperature of 2850 and, somewhat shockingly, that GE has LOWERED THE CRI from 90 to 85! This essentially means that the REVEAL A19 60 watt replacement LED is no longer a "high CRI" bulb (CRI of 90 and above).

I'm eager to hear some thoughts on this latest bulb and the pros/cons of the choices that GE has made.

Note: I took a photo of all three bulbs but I'm unable to attach it, since I don't have a URL from which to upload it. However, I'd be happy to email it to someone who can then post it in a reply to this post...

markr6

Flashaholic
800lm Reveal? I'm interested! 85 CRI? Maybe I'm not!

I have a couple of the 680lm bulbs and they are simply the best light I've seen. Cree TWs are pretty good, but the GE bulbs are almost "tintless" - it's hard to describe but it's almost a gray or tan light. Perfectly white and it's amazing how everything in my living room just looks right. 680 is just a little too dim for my lamps, but I live with it.

For anyone saying "you won't notice the difference between 90 and 85 CRI" - Yes, I will. And if I'm paying for high CRI, I want that peace of mind...no cutting corners.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised that I can't find ANY reference to this new Reveal LED bulb anywhere on the web - especially given the fact that the original version received a bit of press when it was released due to the fact that it had such a high CRI and such an appealing (subjective, I know) white light and now the latest incarnation is yellow/warm like GE's standard A19 LEDs and it has a CRI of 85 which means it is no longer considered a high CRI bulb. Makes me wonder why someone would pay $10 for this bulb when you can get a standard 2700 LED with a CRI of 80 for around $2-$3...

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
I, too, really like the light that the 680 lumen Reveal LED produces. The only issues I have with it have to do with when it is dimmed. Personally, I like to dim my lights quite a bit in the evening (I find it relaxing) and when Reveal LEDs are dimmed (at the least the 570 and 680 lumen versions) they, like most LEDS, retain their color temperature, and because they have a color temperature of 2850, they still produce a very "white" light, which I don't find particularly pleasing. I like the warm quality of standard soft white incandescent bulbs when dimmed, but don't really want to use those anymore. Ironically, I bought a TON of REVEAL 60 watt incandescent bulbs on closeout (twelve 6 packs for $1.50 each!) and I love how they look when fully lit, but when dimmed they produce almost a "salmon" color, which I really don't like.

The original, 570 lumen Reveal LEDs, which, while not as bright as their successors, not only have a nice build quality, but, for some reason, they dim significantly further than either the 680 or 800 lumen versions. So, while they still produce a very "white" light when dimmed, I am able to dim them so far that it doesn't bother me. I was hoping that the 800 lumen version would have improved "dimability", but no such luck - they dim about as far as the 680 lumen version. In the end, for fixtures such as ceiling fans, etc., that have exposed bulbs that I want to dim, I've been using either the 570 lumen Reveals or the Cree TWs, which produce a slightly warmer white than the Reveals and dim further than the 680 lumen version Reveals.

markr6

Flashaholic
Ironically, I bought a TON of REVEAL 60 watt incandescent bulbs on closeout (twelve 6 packs for $1.50 each!)

CRAZY!!! I assume those are no longer available anywhere?

I hate how LEDs (at least everything I've tried) only dim to about 30%. Unlike incandescents which can go so low you would think they were OFF.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
My guess is that the dimming quality of LEDs - especially those designed for home use - is going to see a lot of improvement in coming years. Philips already makes a soft white A19 LED bulb that gets "warmer" in color as it dims, but it still doesn't dim far enough for me to spend $10 on a 2700 bulb that is not high CRI like the older Reveals or the Cree TWs.

As for the incandescent bulbs I bought, I'm torn between using them or the LEDs. At 25 cents a bulb compared to the $3.47 I paid for the TWs or the $6.60 I paid for the Reveals, it's VERY tempting.

Here'a a picture of the three versions of the Reveal LEDs side-by-side:
reveal%203_zps7i3r5b88.jpg

It's interesting to me that the latest version is now "Energy Star" certified, while CRI has been lowered and color has, in my opinion, been compromised...

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
Thanks for that photo. $9.97 for the 800lm at home depot. I will probably get another set of these for my living room and move the 680lm set to another room I don't use as often.

I remember the 680lm version being around $15 normal price, so hopefully this $9.97 pricetag doesn't mean lower quality.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
...hopefully this $9.97 pricetag doesn't mean lower quality.

Well, like I said, the new ones are only 85 CRI compared to 90, and the light is yellower/warmer (2700K vs. 2850), so you'll have to be the judge as to whether those changes constitute "lower quality." The color change is a subjective thing, but, for me, lower CRI means lower quality (and, in turn, lower price). I'll look forward to your impressions!

markr6

Flashaholic
Well, like I said, the new ones are only 85 CRI compared to 90, and the light is yellower/warmer (2700K vs. 2850), so you'll have to be the judge as to whether those changes constitute "lower quality." The color change is a subjective thing, but, for me, lower CRI means lower quality (and, in turn, lower price). I'll look forward to your impressions!

I noticed the home depot site says "90" under the CRI for the 800lm version. They could have gotten that wrong though.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
Yes, or it's possible the the guy at GE got it wrong. Like I said, there's very little info out there about either the 680 or the 800 lumen versions.

Check out the info here:
http://www.gelighting.com/LightingWeb/na/images/69170_GE_LED_A19_General_SpecSheet.pdf

Reveal%20CRI%20Info_zpstlswsuao.jpg

Under "A-Line Reveal" you'll see the new bulb (order code 63180) and it actually lists the CRI as 84! I find it incredibly frustrating that we can't get consistent, accurate info on any of these! Hmmm.

markr6

Flashaholic
HD lists the 800lm 90CRI bulb as LED10DA19RVLESTP. I don't even see that on the GE sheet. Weird!

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
With GE marketing "Reveal" versions of both CFL and LED bulbs, I fear the Reveal® brand mark will essentially cease to lose all meaning. How exactly is a "Reveal" CFL or LED like the old incandescent Reveal bulbs??

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
HD lists the 800lm 90CRI bulb as LED10DA19RVLESTP. I don't even see that on the GE sheet. Weird!

If you were to change the "10" to "11" you'd have the correct number based on what's on the back of the package. That said, good luck finding any info about this bulb on the GE website. Please let me know if you do!

I just got off the phone with GE (spoke to the same guy I spoke to yesterday) and explained that there's conflicting info out there: HD shows a CRI of 90, the above GE pdf shows a CRI of 84, and the Energy Star website shows a CRI of 85 (turns out this is where he got the CRI of 85 yesterday). Here's a link to that info:

http://www.energystar.gov/productfinder/product/certified-light-bulbs/details/2234378

and here's a picture:

Reveal%20800L%20specs_zpsf0ycnca6.png

He's going to try to get a definitive answer for us from GE engineering and will get back to me with an answer, which I will pass on here.

jsulmeyer

Newly Enlightened
How exactly is a "Reveal" CFL or LED like the old incandescent Reveal bulbs??

I'm no expert, and I can't speak for the CFL bulbs, but the incandescent, halogen and LED Reveal bulbs use a neodymium coating (the thing that makes them look kind of blue when they're off) which filters out some of the dingy, yellow colors that are normally displayed with soft white/2700K bulbs, allowing the Reveal bulbs to produce a "cleaner, whiter" light.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
I'm no expert, and I can't speak for the CFL bulbs, but the incandescent, halogen and LED Reveal bulbs use a neodymium coating (the thing that makes them look kind of blue when they're off)
I suspect the latest version of the Reveal LED bulb no longer uses a blue filter coating, they may simply be using slightly higher CRI emitters.
It might be informative to see a spectral graph of the newest versions of GE Reveal and Cree TW bulbs, the ones that do not have a bluish-tinted bulb covering.

I'm no expert, and I can't speak for the CFL bulbs, but the incandescent, halogen and LED Reveal bulbs use a neodymium coating (the thing that makes them look kind of blue when they're off) which filters out some of the dingy, yellow colors that are normally displayed with soft white/2700K bulbs, allowing the Reveal bulbs to produce a "cleaner, whiter" light.
A neodymium filter would not really do anything for a CFL bulb because fluorescent light does not have any yellow in its spectrum to filter out.

Last edited:

robwhite0216

Newly Enlightened
I have found that the length of the 800 lumen GE Reveal bulb is slightly longer than the length of the 680 lumen GE Reveal bulb, in addition to the difference of color temperature and CRI.
I can easily install two 680 lumen bulbs into my Hunter ceiling fan light fixture, but with the 800 lumen bulbs I cannot install the glass shade because the bulbs are longer.
I like the color of the original 570 and 680lumen bulbs better but they are not as bright as than what you would expect for a 60 Watt equivalent.

markr6

Flashaholic
I have found that the length of the 800 lumen GE Reveal bulb is slightly longer than the length of the 680 lumen GE Reveal bulb, in addition to the difference of color temperature and CRI.
I can easily install two 680 lumen bulbs into my Hunter ceiling fan light fixture, but with the 800 lumen bulbs I cannot install the glass shade because the bulbs are longer.
I like the color of the original 570 and 680lumen bulbs better but they are not as bright as than what you would expect for a 60 Watt equivalent.

Is the color still acceptable in the 800lm version? I just added a few to my Amazon cart and I'm hesitating. Is it a big difference from the 680lm version? I'm using those now, but a brighter bulb would be nice.