Review: Surefire 6p & 9p Boring

merdock69

Newly Enlightened
I got the light bodies back last week and thought I'd share my thoughts. I sent off a 6p LED body and a 9p incandescent body (I think the LED and non-LED bodies are interchangeable, but in case it matters to someone). I also ordered the delrin bushings to allow you to use the smaller CR123 batteries the lights originally ran off of without any rattling.

I've worked with both lights in 27 degree weather and let them warm up past 100 degrees and at all temps the batteries fit perfect by themselves or along with the spacers. No rattles or sticking with either my 18650s or the CR123 & bushings. All the tolerances are perfect. I love it. Couldn't be happier.
:grin2: I'll try to update as I test fitment with other cells.

I've tried the following 18650's
Ultrafire Silver 2400 mAh
Ultrafire Blue 2400 mAh
Ultrafire Green 2600 mAh

The Following CR123a's
Surefire Red Cells
Rayovac Silver Blue
Tenergy RCR123a 3.0v 900mAh Rechargable
[h=1][/h]

merdock69

Newly Enlightened
I don't know. I've been in communication with Barry, not sure if he was the actual machinist on my project though.

merdock69

Newly Enlightened
Thought I'd share, I've begun using this silicone lube to seal all my flashlights now. It can be bought at autozone for $8 or so. I've also linked the material safety data sheet indicating it is 95% silicone & 5% nitrogen meaning it is a great lube for the Buna-n rubber o-rings in my mag lights & surfires. I'm not sure what type of rubber fenix uses, but i'm using it on those lights as well.

http://d2pbmlo3fglvvr.cloudfront.net/product/large/1YHP5_AS01.JPG

Image tags removed from hot linked image - Norm

Thanks to the admins' graciousness and patience I was able to learn about "hot linking" images tonight. Sorry guys, I wasn't aware. I've now moved the image to my personal photo hosting service, so we should be good now.
15864894452_71516d4955.jpg

https://www.conncoll.edu/media/website-media/offices/ehs/envhealthdocs/di-electric_grease.pdf

Last edited:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Who performed the boring?
Just to clarify, I machine 100% of the flashlight work. Every light is done one at a time & fully inspected - nothing goes back to the owner until it's as perfect as possible.

When machining the spacer sleeve, it's sized for the host light. Every bore is slightly different in internal diameter, sometimes by as much as .001" (.025mm) & the sleeve needs to fit the bore correctly. Not loose, not tight, but properly. Spacer sleeves are machined from solid Delrin bar & are durable for a sleeve so thin.

I've begun using this silicone lube to seal all my flashlights now. It can be bought at autozone for $8 or so.
Nice. All my auto parts are purchased at Autozone & I'll pick up a can of di-electric grease today. CRC products aren't inexpensive but the quality is very high.

Last edited:

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry guys, I wasn't implying that Barry was outsourcing the machining of the bodies that are sent to him - the OP didn't reference anyone at all as far as who he sent his lights to, so I was looking for clarification :twothumbs

merdock69

Newly Enlightened
Sorry guys, I wasn't implying that Barry was outsourcing the machining of the bodies that are sent to him - the OP didn't reference anyone at all as far as who he sent his lights to, so I was looking for clarification :twothumbs

Oh my bad. I guess I was relying on the sub-forum description. I should have been more explicit. Sorry, I sent them to PrecisionWorks for machining.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my bad. I guess I was relying on the sub-forum description. I should have been more explicit. Sorry, I sent them to PrecisionWorks for machining.

LOL, I came across your thread using the "new posts" search and completely missed the subforum your post was in. My bad!