Are LED flashes taking advantage of what we already know is out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I'm sure my plethora of lights has jaded me but why is it that the led based external flashes are disappointing? I just recently started rigging my gopro to record in places I can't personally get to. I have been using my ZL H602 mounted directly under the camera. Good but not great.

Now, here is the question. Does anyone make a a truly good led camera flash that I can slide onto the hotshoe of my DSLR or my Canon Sx50? I would like it to work as a flash but also as a hot source when running the camera in HD video mode.

I tried two from Walmart and as expected, garbage.

So, anyone have experience on this.

Should add, in a pinch I'd like it to work as a flashlight since I do a lot of night photography.

Jakefreese

Newly Enlightened
I have been thinking real hard about over driving a pulse to the led and trying it. Just too many other projects going on to get to it. I really want to get some Cree cxa3590 and try it for studio strobes.

SemiMan

Banned
Wasting your time. 100000's of thousands of lumens .... How many hundreds of big LEDS are you planning to buy?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Hmm, never got an alert there were replies.

Well, my issue is that I also need a "flash" that would double as a light for videoing with the camera's HD recording feature.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
light for video is another matter entirely. LEDs in a properly designed unit are pretty good for the job. If you just want enough light for a 1/60 or 1/30 second exposure the LED can work for that too, but it'll need to be on for much longer than a real flash unit to get the right exposure, which can cause motion blur.

dmac386

Newly Enlightened
light for video is another matter entirely. LEDs in a properly designed unit are pretty good for the job. If you just want enough light for a 1/60 or 1/30 second exposure the LED can work for that too, but it'll need to be on for much longer than a real flash unit to get the right exposure, which can cause motion blur.
Agree with Yoda, electonic flash pulse is actually along the order of 1/20,000th of a second or faster. fast enough so there is almost no blur for a bullet. Camera shutter speeds are real slow to make it easier to time the flash while the shutter is open. Video lighting is a whole different animal because it has to be bright enough to illuminate the area of focus CONTINUOUSLY.
dmac386

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
With video you also have to worry about LED strobing. Pwm controlled LEDs can cause issues while filming. I ran into this with my 1st LED ring light for macro. Causes lined pics and funny artifacts when filming. CC/CV drivers are best for this issue.

rollandelliott

Newly Enlightened
this is a very old thread, but I want to do something similar.
this is the ONLY led flash I can find
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y91n0YF3m4I&t=2s

I haved looked all over the internet for a LED flash circuit, all I can find are Strobe circuits that constantly flash the leds.

anyone know how to take an exsisting led ring light and add circuits to make it flash?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try googling "LED photoflash circuit". The first four hits had eight different solutions (that's right, because the first one was "Five Solutions for Driving LED Flash).

Status
Not open for further replies.