Would love to see A Ti Beta!

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome. But would be even more awesome if Jason does a small run of Alphas in Titanium after he's done with the Alpha Carbon run. :D

persco

Enlightened
Some of us have been waiting a long time for Jason to start doing lights in titanium... I don't think it's on his radar to be honest.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
From the many times I've approached Jason to do 'add-ons' to my Blue-Labels, from Cerakoting to milling trit slots... I've found him to be very helpful and open to suggestions.

He has been open to making a Titanium Alpha. It is more of demand and how many of us want it balanced against the cost of machining. Remember the feeler thread years back regarding the Titanium ICE? It garnered less than 1/3 of the 30 minimum commitments needed for the run to proceed.

Here are my thoughts:-

-The Alpha as an 18650 Custom Light still stands on its own after so many years. Most Ti Custom lights still cluster around the 16340 & 18350 size. Of course, Titanium is expensive back then and it still costs a fair bit now. The Ti ICE lights were estimated to be in the $600 range, though the plans for the body tubes back then may not be applicable now. I feel there will still be demand if the head was in the regular 'plain' Alpha head rather than the more machined ICE heads. See the point below regarding machining.

-Way back then, in the Ti ICE feeler, Jason was already planning to do the machining at Hirsch. As it stands, with the Alpha Ready Made and Custom shells already made there, it would not take a stretch of the imagination that it could accommodate Ti run. :) The same reason that he has 'frozen' the Blue-Labels is because they require a lot of workshop time and effort from him and in doing so, he may free up time for more 'special projects'. I certainly think the Alpha Carbon is proof enough, no?

-As I've mentioned before, Jason's overwhelming success in his KickStarter projects has probably increased his following many-fold and he admits that there are LOTS of people on his Blue-Label wait list. This may increase the potential numbers interested in a Ti Alpha. Just look at the response to his auction of custom anodized Ti pens on eBay. His success may have put the Blue-Labels into hibernation, but there's no better time than now for a Titanium Alpha. :)

-And about Titanium Betas, it would be sweet, but less likely. The original Betas were made in China. I'm not sure of the V2s. Machining Ti is a lot more costly and demanding. Cost and machining aside, there are already a fine number of Ti AAA lights available, so it would face pretty stiff competition in that segment.

Just my 2 photons worth. Pardon my rambling. :p

mcorp

Enlightened
+1 to your ramblings :D

A Ti Alpha is more likely to happen than a Ti Beta.

Definitely interested in a Ti Alpha myself :)

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
I just missed out on the last run of custom Alphas, and have a copper Beta v2, but a ti Alpha would be perfect!
Count me in.

ThirstyTurtle

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do people like titanium more than aluminum? Just because it's different?

I'm pretty sure aluminum is lighter and is better at dissipating heat right? I do like the color though...

Mmassey338

Newly Enlightened
I like the color, and that scratches dont show as much as on anodized or plated lights. I also like the extra weight, and yes aluminum is a better conductor, but ti is still a very good conductor.
I also love the patina nickel gets, and the copper and brass betas I have are beautiful. Variety is the spice of life.

MrJino

Enlightened
If he made ready made and QR in titanium, I'd buy them in a heartbeat.

I love titanium, who doesnt?

RByers91

Newly Enlightened
I would also be in for a titanium qr with a 3 mode, and possibly 100 max lumens?

Newguy2012

Enlightened
Polished? Ceramic blasted? or Stonewashed? I have titanium stonewashed and a Steel light sandblasted. I love the textures on it.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are my thoughts:-

-The Alpha as an 18650 Custom Light still stands on its own after so many years. Most Ti Custom lights still cluster around the 16340 & 18350 size. Of course, Titanium is expensive back then and it still costs a fair bit now. The Ti ICE lights were estimated to be in the $600 range, though the plans for the body tubes back then may not be applicable now. I feel there will still be demand if the head was in the regular 'plain' Alpha head rather than the more machined ICE heads. See the point below regarding machining.

-Way back then, in the Ti ICE feeler, Jason was already planning to do the machining at Hirsch. As it stands, with the Alpha Ready Made and Custom shells already made there, it would not take a stretch of the imagination that it could accommodate Ti run. :) The same reason that he has 'frozen' the Blue-Labels is because they require a lot of workshop time and effort from him and in doing so, he may free up time for more 'special projects'. I certainly think the Alpha Carbon is proof enough, no?

Now, with the impending launch of those beautiful Alpha ICE Ti lights, looks like the points above were pretty spot-on. ;)

Here are some of my thoughts on the new lights...

100 lights. Domestic CP2. Machined in Hirsch. Made by Jason. Icarus inside.$650.

-Let's face it, if Jason has to do the machining hinself vs the Hirsh team, the run would probably NOT number 100, if the number of ICE and Bespokes are any indication. I'm glad more of us will be able to enjoy it.

-As mentioned above, I'd say that the cost of the light is a steal for an 18650 Custom.

-If the quality of the Ready Mades are anything to go by, I have full confidence in the Hirsch team.

-CP2 vs 6AL/4V. I applaud his choice based on the points he raised, as well as cost-wise. I mean, if Jason were to hand you round stocks of each, would you be able to tell the difference? :p

-The stone-wash finish looks amazing. :drool: