Are coast lights that bad?

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
I was wondering... Are coast lights bad? I have seen a lot of hate for Coast on cpf for a reason I don't know.
I have seen people saying: "the regulation is bad(If it has regulation) but Nimh batteries help." But, that issue is not of much importance to me because I have a large stash of rechargeable batteries. And the build quality is just fine. So, I was pondering if coast lights are bad or good because I have 2 Coast Flashlights(hp550 And hp5) and a stash of batteries... So are they good or not? :candle:

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Coast lights were made by Led Lenser. LL lights get more hate than Coast.
I've got a few of the V2 lights and other than some o ring issues, they're fine lights.
Some here don't like the battery cages, which I happen to like. Most are AAA fed, though I'm sure that they're are some models that use AA cells.
Coast was the US distributor/importer for Led Lenser.

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
Mine are fine too. I also don't like the battery cages either, whenever I replace the batteries, I am afraid that the battery wrapper wold be peeled off. And, the hp550 and hp5 take aa cells.

EDIT: I was wondering if you could put 14500 batteries in a coast flashlight. I have seen that they say that it has no regulation, so would it fry the led? If not, it would last longer.

Last edited:

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I don't think they're "bad" but I think you can do better for the money. The ones I have tried to modify have been challenging to say the least, so if you ever want to upgrade I'd avoid them. The switch is actually in the battery carrier, so trying to use li-ions in place of the aaa's is going to present a horde of problems. They also like to randomly glue threads, and it is strong glue. I did successfully get an xpg and a new optic into one, but I don't really think it would be worth the effort these days with all the other options we now have.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
LL & Coast have a different market than the Anorak brigade tend to buy.They produce good lights that are sold in the thousands via retail and are better than some of the junk found in stores.

thinkFlashlights01

Enlightened
First, What do you mean as "Upgrade"? Is it like installing new emitters or buying a new flashlight? Secondly, my lights uses aa, not aaa. And the battery carrier and the tail so seem to be different pieces.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
First, What do you mean as "Upgrade"? Is it like installing new emitters or buying a new flashlight? Secondly, my lights uses aa, not aaa. And the battery carrier and the tail so seem to be different pieces.

Yes, I meant to replace the emitter, driver (or lack thereof), or power source. Your light may differ significantly from the ones I've messed with, I was just speaking from my own frustration with the design of those lights.

onetrickpony

Enlightened
I'm not intending to "upgrade" my lights anytime soon.

K, then don't "worry" about it. It sounds like you bought one of these lights, read a bunch of negativity about it, and are now regretting your purchase. I'd suggest getting something else to compare if you are wondering what everyone is ranting about or just get over the fact that there is always going to be a better light than the one you just bought if you look hard enough.

magellan

Honorary Aussie
I have an HP5 too and it's been fine. Not my favorite light by any means but built like a tank and sometimes I want the focusable beam. I've dropped it several times on hard tile floors and it doesn't seem to care. Also nice smooth threads on the tail cap and an easy to operate switch.

ven

Flashaholic
thinkFlashlights01;4569345 EDIT: I was wondering if you could put 14500 batteries in a coast flashlight. I have seen that they say that it has no regulation said:
Definitely NO unless you want a zoom-able paper weight...........

ven

Flashaholic
I have lenser lights,i enjoy them,cause me no issues in the reliability department and are just work tools. Love them or hate them,they do their job i require of them:thumbsup:

Enjoy your lights regardless of peoples opinions,only your own experiences should determine yours:)

onetrickpony

Enlightened

This is where an upgraded driver would fit the bill if you could get the light apart and fit one in there. If it's a single aa light, it most likely has a boost driver designed to drive an led with typical alkaline voltage. If you want you could try a lithium primary, but it will never be like the output you can get with a 14500.

Poppy

Flashaholic
LOL...
"zoom-able paper weight......" :)
Larry the cable guy would say... "now that's funny, right there"

I have a coast HL6 headlamp, 3 AAA.

I bought it on sale, and it looked decent, and I'd say that it is decent. The problem, as I see it, is that it runs on 3 triple A's. That's what? 800ma?
There are MANY headlamps that run on 3* AAA batteries. I prefer 18650 batteries.

Honestly, I haven't used it often enough to truly evaluate it, but I'd say that it does its job.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just got back from Meijer (like Wal-Mart if you're not familiar) and went down the flashlight aisle. Lots of Coast lights and most had a cutout in the package so you could hit the switch and try it.

I tried the largest one, something around $34, and simply laughed out "holy s!!t!". Trashiest purple-blue beam of light. The guy just coming around the corner probably thought I was crazy or something bad just happened...he gave me a funny look.

I continued to try several other of the smaller Coast lights, all the same. Uugh, good thing they let you try them first. But in a retail setting like this, I'm sure many consumers hit the button and think "OH MY GOD! THAT'S BRIGHT! BEST FLASHLIGHT EVER MADE!!"

Crazyeddiethefirst

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was given a Led Lenser P-7, and I liked it so much I bought 7 or 8 different models. It was questions that arose from those lights that led me to find CPF. CPF led me to buy a shiny satin gray Surefire E2E...and the Flashaholism took off from there. Now 6 nights a week I find myself in a room full of people where I introduce myself and say "my name is Ed and I am a Flashaholic" the room responds "Hi Ed"...
And I share..." It has been 3 hours and 20 minutes [emoji41]since I bought my last flashlight....

Ponis

Newly Enlightened
I've had the hp550 for quite a while and I really enjoy it. The tint is bluish, it has significant dimming issues when using alkalines, and the anodizing doesn't stay on very well but it works and the zoom function is nice. Flood beam is wiiiiide making it great to prop up and work on cars in the dark with. Spot mode goes a respectable distance as well and has a large hotspot. My suggestion is to immediately ditch the original equipment accessory Chinese duracells, put in some lithium primaries and toss it in the car as a perfect work/impress non flashoholic friends torch.