Is Wicked Lasers over? Who is next?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey friends.

So I was about to pull the trigger on a Wicked Lasers product. I hit the site and there is a warning that Jan 1 2015, they will ship no laser to the US above 5mw.

Umm, doesn't this wreck their business model?

What am I do to do for a handheld laser with cool features in the under 5 watt range now?

Is it DIY/backdoor only now? What happened?

lazerman121

Newly Enlightened
this is a bit of a late reply but seeing as no one answered

My guess is they finally caved under the pressure of US customs. Lasers above 5mW have been illegal to import for years. Wicked lasers had been illegally shipping them into the us labeled as flashlights for years.

there's no real reason to own a 5 watt handheld and if you have never owned lasers of power before its dangerous to jump straight into high power.

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/EnforcementActions/WarningLetters/ucm234938.htm

NegativePitch

Newly Enlightened
From personal experience I would recommend finding someone on the laserpointerforum who hand builds lasers over buying from a manufacturer. You will get more accurate specs (depending on who you buy from) and a higher quality laser build at a lower price point (most of the time). I have a 2.2w 445nm laser pointer that I had built for me about two years ago and it's been problem free since the day I received it. Still using the same rechargeable batteries. Just my 2 ¢ :wave:

Here's a recent beam shot:
OtvkXRPh.jpg

Newly Enlightened
From personal experience I would recommend finding someone on the laserpointerforum who hand builds lasers over buying from a manufacturer. You will get more accurate specs (depending on who you buy from) and a higher quality laser build at a lower price point (most of the time). I have a 2.2w 445nm laser pointer that I had built for me about two years ago and it's been problem free since the day I received it. Still using the same rechargeable batteries. Just my 2 ¢ :wave:

OtvkXRPh.jpg

where can buy that laser and how much is it. Also is it compact and portable?

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
Purchase and knowledge are separate.

Perhaps all of us can learn? Doubtful, but possible.

Newly Enlightened
Buy a dragon
Laser Spartan over 1 watt and super bright and compact

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I read some website, Survival Lasers?? They sell a parts kit. Looks like you can get all the parts to make your own laser. Not sure about output. I am guessing they operating in the gray area? Of course a few mins online and with some minor tools and solder skills and a old DVD player and it looks like you can have quite a nice laser.

Good Luck! Its a real same that knuckle heads pointing them at people and other living and moving objects. It really messed lasers up for everyone. The legal ones are sure fun with the cat around the house! I can't imagine how fun some of the more powerful ones can be.

RoyWalker

Newly Enlightened
Good quality 1 Watt Blues (445-450nm) go for $47 to $85 now.

Shame about Wicked Lasers.

Last edited:

Newly Enlightened
Sorry but I gotta tell you WL sux! I bought 2 kryptons and ended up getting nothing so I denied their payments.

dssguy1

Newly Enlightened
I bought an Spyder III, Arctic 1.4W LASER a couple years back. Lots of fun, no issues with it but now I have a 4 year old kid running around the house and I'm looking to sell it.

Anybody interested, I'm in the US.

moze85

Newly Enlightened

OtvkXRPh.jpg

I second this. I own several lasers and have purchased from Wicked Lasers as well as individuals on forums who are truly experts and enthusiasts who will not only answer your questions, but will ensure you get a high quality laser and will also address any issues you might have.

Syko LCA

Newly Enlightened
Not to be nasty or anything but personally i think its great that wicked lasers are no longer shipping above 5mW to the U.S, the amount of youtube videos where people fling >1W lasers around like toys and thus encouraging their viewers to do the same thing is horrendous, the best thing to do in my opinion is to not only buy from someone on a forum like LPF but to also read through that forum and especially stickies so that you can safely operate your laser without causing harm to yourself, others or the unit itself.

Its better that these things are still moderately attainable then for just anyone to purchase one that they saw in a video, you guys are lucky your limit is 5mW, im from Australia and they just flat out banned handhelds over 1mW (Mind you this doesnt ban modules or any 'non handheld' device).
:twothumbs

Latest posts