Take-a-Look: The NITECORE NTP10 Titanium Pen (Fisher Refill)

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
To complement its range of lights, NITECORE has release a few titanium accessories including this, the distinctive NTP10 Titanium pen.

42NTP10side.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Statement for Transparency and Disclosure
The test sample/s featured in this article were provided for technical testing and review by "NITECORE". Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review for the purposes of long term testing and product comparisons.

All output figures and test results published in this review are the sole work of the reviewer, and are carried out independently and without bias. Test results are reported as found, with no embellishments or alteration. Though best endeavours are made to maintain the accuracy of test equipment, the accuracy of these results is not guaranteed and is subject to the test equipment functioning correctly.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking a look around:

The NTP10 arrives in a simple box. However, inside the box is an aluminium tube with sculpted screw-cap

40NTP10box.jpg

Inside the protective tube sits the striking NTP10.

41NTP10unboxed.jpg

The NTP10 comes equipped with a double purpose end. The three sprung balls hold the cap in place when you are using it, but it also has a tungsten carbide spike set into the end to act as a glass breaker.

43NTP10end.jpg

A closer look at the glass breaker / cap holder

44NTP10enddetail.jpg

This dual purpose end, unscrews to reveal an adjuster which allows for some slight variation in the length of the refill cartridge.

45NTP10endoff.jpg

The cartridge used in this pen is the Fisher pressurised 'Space pen' refill

46NTP10apart.jpg

The body and cap have spiral milling giving a strong character to this pen.

47NTP10milling.jpg

The cap clicks on firmly.

48NTP10topoff.jpg

And is held firmly onto the cap holder thanks to the sprung balls

49NTP10topend.jpg

The carbide tip can be seen inside the cap through the spiral cutouts.

50NTP10topholder.jpg

There is a striking similarity between the NTP10 and another light maker's titanium pen.

51NTP10compared.jpg

From the grip at the front.

52NTP10compared2.jpg

To the fact that all the major parts are interchangeable.

53NTP10compared3.jpg

Even the cap-holder/spike.

54NTP10compared4.jpg

The NTP10 in use

23NSW10-20sizewithPen.jpg

Feedback on something like a pen is entirely subjective, so here are a few thoughts…

This is a slim feeling pen, and for my hands, really needs the cap to be put onto the end to make it comfortable to write with. The cap holder is excellent so this works perfectly well.

How does it write? Well, as nicely as the Fisher refill writes. I like Fisher refills, so for me this is a winner.

The spiral cut outs to my eye look great. What will not look great is when those cut-outs start to fill up with pocket fluff. You might want to use the tube it arrived in to carry it, but then you lose the compact nature of the pen.

The cap-holder/glass breaker is quite sharp, so might start to cut into the pocket holding it. This certainly makes you think twice about where you put it.

The protective tube is a nice feature, but apart from holding the NTP10 (and then making the package relatively large) I haven't yet found a good use for it. There is a plastic insert to hold the NTP10 restricting any other use of the tube.

Altogether the NTP10 is a very nicely made pen using great refills. This is one pen that allows you to be different thanks to its unusual look.

Review Summary

Things I likeWhat doesn't work so well
Distinctive lookMight collect fluff in the spirals
Great cap-holderVisible refill
Integral glass breakerSome sharp edges
Slim and light
Uses Fisher refills
Titanium Chic

If you enjoyed the review, please remember to 'Like' me on Facebook

SubwooferAnimationV3.gif

ven

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review subwoofer:thumbsup: I really like the look of this pen,love the design:)

Edit-:eek::eek::eek: i dont love it that much,just had a google and its £110 at Amazon.........wow . Not saying its not worth it,it just isn't to me! I was expecting £40 or so..........never mind:)

Last edited:

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review subwoofer:thumbsup: I really like the look of this pen,love the design:)

Edit-:eek::eek::eek: i dont love it that much,just had a google and its £110 at Amazon.........wow . Not saying its not worth it,it just isn't to me! I was expecting £40 or so..........never mind:)

Hehe, yeah the price kinda shocked me as well. :eek:

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sharp Edges. I was wondering the same thing when I first saw this pen. I bet you could file it down gently with some knife sharpening ceramic rods. They have a round tip, and you can work the edges down. I have done that one many of my EDC items like this.

Cool review. I am glad you showed a pic of the tube it comes with. Does the tube feel sturdy? I would like to have that for storage if so.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hehe, yeah the price kinda shocked me as well. :eek:

Titanium loveliness does not come cheap. £40 would never happen, and if you look around I suspect you could get if for less than £110.

Sharp Edges. I was wondering the same thing when I first saw this pen. I bet you could file it down gently with some knife sharpening ceramic rods. They have a round tip, and you can work the edges down. I have done that one many of my EDC items like this.

Cool review. I am glad you showed a pic of the tube it comes with. Does the tube feel sturdy? I would like to have that for storage if so.

The tube is sturdy, but has the plastic holder for the pen. So far I've not managed to get the liner out so he tube is not much good for anything but the pen like this.

ven

Flashaholic
True subwoofer,found it for £65 from Aliexpress:) not sure still if tempted ............

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there enough space to wrap the refill once with colored paper of one's choice, to personalize it? Seems like it would be pretty straightforward to clean the spiral cutout if it did get lint in it. Since I do not have sweaty fingers, I'm not sure the grip area is tacky enough. I wonder if I could apply some kind of non-slip covering where fingers touch the pen to write. Probably won't look as svelte as it does in stock form either.

CandlePowerForums App

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there enough space to wrap the refill once with colored paper of one's choice, to personalize it? Seems like it would be pretty straightforward to clean the spiral cutout if it did get lint in it. Since I do not have sweaty fingers, I'm not sure the grip area is tacky enough. I wonder if I could apply some kind of non-slip covering where fingers touch the pen to write. Probably won't look as svelte as it does in stock form either.

I wouldn't think you could get any coloured paper round the refill, but you could 'sharpy' the refill a different colour, or just use some spirit to take the writing off and make it plain gold colour.

Of course just taking the refill out and blowing through the spirals will get the lint out, but it might annoy some users having to do that.

If you put anything on the grip area the cap would not go on any more as it is a tight fit to the grip. It is a slim pen, so I think you would either have to live with that, or not go for it.

TheThor

Newly Enlightened
Wow, look at those edges.
Should be careful when carrying it.

Great review and great pics! THX for the effort SW!:thumbsup:

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, look at those edges.
Should be careful when carrying it.

Great review and great pics! THX for the effort SW!:thumbsup:

Just to clarify, the only sharp edges are on the end with the cap holder. the spirals are all chamfered.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could the tip be used to break automotive glass (in an emergency obviously)?

That is exactly the intention of the 'glass breaker' Tungsten Carbide tip. All 'glass breakers' are intended to initiate the shattering of toughened/tempered glass. When toughened/tempered glass breaks, it shatters into tiny granular pieces intentionally to prevent injury from large shards of glass that plate glass can form.

This shattering can be initiated by a very small high intensity impact such as that form the tip of a glass breaker. What you can't do it use it to get through laminated glass (as found in all modern windscreens). Yes you could make a crack, but laminated glass is designed not to fail catastrophically if hit by a stone.

Unfortunately I don't have any glass to try this out on.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I want it! very nice looking pen Love the spiral flutes showing the cartridge inside if they made the refills in colors it would stand out nice through the openings that would be easy enough to do with a sharpie though. nice have the glass breaker also. I used the breaker on my Knife to breach a car window that a police officer was beating on with a knight stick lol he was amazed at how easy it was with just a tap to break the glass. The cars occupant was slumped over the steering wheel engine running and car in drive he must have hit the brake when he had a heart attack and was just sitting there holding the brake on. Never did find out if the driver made it or not I hope so.

X_Marine

Enlightened
Hi guys, CPF poped up in a search for info on this pen so didn't look any further.
I have and love my Fisher pen not only because of the titanium finish but also when clipped in a shirt pocket it only protrudes about a 1/4" allowing for closing pocket flaps without it looking dorkey. Looks as if this has the same feature.

Love the look and multifunction of this bad boy. ')
Was a little put back with most of the prices I saw when searching but with persistence I found it at about 40 less than most resellers were asking. Never dealt with this online outfit but site was well organized and easy to use. Also they accepted pp which I prefer when available. Don't want to break any rules, but this place boast "Fast Tech" & 81.07 which I think will help. Also, on tube,, might want to try heating the tube in order to remove the liner as most all adhesives yield when heated. I would prolly use a hot air gun or hair dryer.

Still a little pricey but after the excellent review "Thanks subwoofer" I had to give this pen a write. ')
Many thanks
X/BillyD..

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys, CPF poped up in a search for info on this pen so didn't look any further.

Still a little pricey but after the excellent review "Thanks subwoofer" I had to give this pen a write. ')
Many thanks
X/BillyD..

Why go anywhere outside CPF? ;)

Let us know how you get on with it, it would be great to have another opinion.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was a little put back with most of the prices I saw when searching but with persistence I found it at about 40 less than most resellers were asking. Never dealt with this online outfit but site was well organized and easy to use. Also they accepted pp which I prefer when available. Don't want to break any rules, but this place boast "Fast Tech" & 81.07 which I think will help.
Many thanks
X/BillyD..

Just a few bucks more on Amazon. I've got a gift card on there so I think I'll pick it up.