Eneloops: what charger do I need? (info and discussion thead)

ChibiM

Enlightened
This is a fairly common question asked on CPF

Let`s make this thread a help and guide line for (new) users to see what charger fits eneloops.

Not sure if your charger works well for eneloops?
Please Ask your "eneloop" Charger Questions here, as well as giving your suggestions/reviews.

Please NOTE:
Panasonic recommends to use their own Panasonic eneloop chargers for all eneloop batteries.

Other recommended chargers for eneloop:

1. Maha MH C9000 analyzer (review) (discussion thread) $50 +/-
  2. SkyRC NC2500 bluetooth analyzer (review) (discussion thread) $80 +/-
  3. SkyRC MC3000 (not yet available, see discussion thread) price: 100+?
  4. Opus BT C3100/3400 analyzer also for LiIon (review) $40 +/-
  5. Technoline/Voltcraft/Lacrosse BC700 BC900 BC1000 $35+

Basically its best to stay away from Timer-Based chargers!
Timer based chargers will charge the batteries for a certain amount of time, without being "smart" enough to see if the battery is full. This can result in Over-Charger which hurts the quality of the batteries.

Basically the recommended chargers are "Smart" chargers!
Smart chargers can detect whether a cell is full.

Below an overview of the Panasonic chargers, old and new. The new chargers are marked with the BQ code.

BQ-CC11BQ-CC16BQ-CC17BQ-CC21BG-CC22BQ-CC23BQ-CC24BQ-CC25MQH03
Battery fitment4 cells4 cells4 cells4 cells4 cells2 cells2 cells4+2*1​4 cells
AAA1-41-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
AA1-41-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
C-------1-4-
D-------1-4-
9V*1​-------1-2-
Smart chargeSmartSmartSmartSmartSmartSmart-(timer)-Smart
Charge time
Fast charge*2​ 1-2 AA or AAA2 hours2 hours-2 hours4 hours4 hours*36 hours1 hour
normal charge4 hours4 hours5-8 hours4 hours8 hours8 hours7 hours6 hours2 hours
Zero Power consumption *​4​yes?? - - - - -?
Voltage100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240, 12v DC
Available in:JapanJapanJapanJapanJapanJapan
Plus:US plugUS plugUS plugUS plugUS plugUS plug

If you are looking for info on an eneloop charger .. check out the link for all eneloop chargers produced by Sanyo and Panasonic?

*1 BQ-C25 is a multi battery charger, and can charge 9V batteries, 2 in total.

*2 Fast charging can only be done with 2 cells. and not with 4 at the same time.
*3 the BQ-CC24 is a timer based charger especially for eneloop Lite, therefore its not recommended to use with standard eneloops.
*4 zero power consumption is that the charger will use less than 0.005 watt when not in use, according to IEC62301 it qualifies for Zero Power Consumption.
PDF info link

Last edited:

ChibiM

Enlightened
Re: Eneloops: what charger do I need?

If anybody has a list of the currently available Panasonic Eneloop chargers overseas, feel free to post it here...
even the older Sanyo chargers, as long as you can provide some important info, like charge currents/single or multi cell charger/pair charging necessary?/

Last edited:

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great idea and very cool, ChibiM; thank you, you're awesome!

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good idea! I add the BQ-CC17 charger (available now with Costco bundles), and the Sanyo MQH03 charger (included with bundles years ago, and is the fastest charger of the bunch).

BQ-CC11BQ-CC17BQ-CC21BG-CC22BQ-CC23BQ-CC24BQ-CC25MQH03
Battery fitment4 cells4 cells4 cells4 cells2 cells2 cells4+2*1​4 cells
AAA1-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
AA1-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
C------1-4-
D------1-4-
9V*1​------1-2-
Smart chargeSmartSmartSmartSmartSmart-(timer)-Smart
Charge time
Fast charge*2​ 1-2 AA or AAA2 hours-2 hours4 hours4 hours*36 hours1 hour
normal charge4 hours5-8 hours4 hours8 hours8 hours7 hours6 hours2 hours
Zero Power consumption *​4​yes? - - - - -?
Voltage100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240, 12v DC

*1 BQ-C25 is a multi battery charger, and can charge 9V batteries, 2 in total.

*2 Fast charging can only be done with 2 cells. and not with 4 at the same time.
*3 the BQ-CC24 is a timer based charger especially for eneloop Lite, therefore its not recommended to use with standard eneloops.
*4 zero power consumption is that the charger will use less than 0.005 watt when not in use, according to IEC62301 it qualifies for Zero Power Consumption.
PDF info link

Phlogiston

Enlightened

I can add the BQ-CC16, as presently sold in the EU.

BQ-CC11BQ-CC16BQ-CC17BQ-CC21BG-CC22BQ-CC23BQ-CC24BQ-CC25MQH03
Battery fitment4 cells4 cells4 cells4 cells4 cells2 cells2 cells4+2*1​4 cells
AAA1-41-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
AA1-41-41-41-41-41-21-21-41-4
C-------1-4-
D-------1-4-
9V*1​-------1-2-
Smart chargeSmartSmartSmartSmartSmartSmart-(timer)-Smart
Charge time
Fast charge*2​ 1-2 AA or AAA2 hours2 hours-2 hours4 hours4 hours*36 hours1 hour
normal charge4 hours4 hours5-8 hours4 hours8 hours8 hours7 hours6 hours2 hours
Zero Power consumption *​4​yes?? - - - - -?
Voltage100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240100-240, 12v DC

*1 BQ-CC25 is a multi battery charger, and can charge 9V batteries, 2 in total.

PDF info link

IsaacL

Enlightened

I was just looking for this info today. Thanks ChibiM!

According to their website, Panasonic's USA chargers are the BQ-CC16, BQ-CC17, and BQ-CC18. From what I can tell, the BQ-CC16 is the only smart charger of the three.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was just looking for this info today. Thanks ChibiM!

According to their website, Panasonic's USA chargers are the BQ-CC16, BQ-CC17, and BQ-CC18. From what I can tell, the BQ-CC16 is the only smart charger of the three.

No, the BQ-CC17 is definitely a smart charger as well. I don't know what algorithm it uses to terminate, but it does so reliably and does it for individual cells in all 4 slots. It's just slow: 300mA for AA and 150mA for AAA.

I personally like the MQH03, because it charges so much faster (and is also single-channel). But the BQ-CC17 is a good charger too, if you don't mind waiting. Having 4 separate LEDs to indicate charge is a nice feature. (The MQH03 lacks this.)

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eneloop and similar type can be charged in any charger that you can simply buy in any decent supermarket nothing special is needed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eneloop and similar type can be charged in any charger that you can simply buy in any decent supermarket nothing special is needed.

Based on Eneloop trickle-charge testing posted a few years ago, I disagree. It appears that trickle-charging and overcharging is extremely destructive to Eneloops. So, if you want your batteries to last, you absolutely must get a smart charger, and preferably one that doesn't trickle-charge after completion (or alternatively, remove the batteries soon after charging finishes).

kreisl

Flashlight Enthusiast

i once wrote with PDF screenshots uploaded to imageshack:

"it is very instructional to compare the current Eneloop charger (www.eneloop.info, Sept 2012) models. Charging speeds are given in the PDF/PDFs:

see pic below, the old charger MDR02 suggests
AA: 550mA/cell => 230min.
AAA: 380mA/cell => 135min.
( image deleted by imageshack )

See pic below, the USB charger NC-MDU01 suggests:
AA: 850mA/cell => 140min.
AA: 450mA/cell => 280min.
AAA: 850mA/cell => 60min.
AAA: 450mA/cell => 120min.

see pic below, the charger MQN04 suggests:
AA: 250mA/cell => 10h.
AAA: 120mA/cell => 8h.

see pic below, the charger NC-MQN09W suggests:
AA: 300mA/cell => 7.5h.
AAA: 150mA/cell => 6h.

and finally, see pic below, the charger NC-MQR06W suggests:
AA: 1680mA/cell => 75mins.
AA: 1120mA/cell => 110mins.
AA: 560mA/cell => 220mins.
AAA: 840mA/cell => 65mins.
AAA: 560mA/cell => 100mins.
AAA: 280mA/cell => 200mins.

see pic below, the official specs for Eneloop AA suggest:
AA: 1C == 2000mA/cell => 1.1h.
AA: 0.1C == 200mA/cell => 16h.

see pic below, the official specs for Eneloop AAA suggest:
AAA: 1C == 800mA/cell => 1.1h.
AAA: 0.1C == 80mA/cell => 16h.

If we collect the above 10 data points for AA and for AAA respectively and visualize them in a graph, then by visual inspection we can tell that the points are consistent (they both form a smooth curve with no outliers):
AA: relationship between input amperage/cell (mAh) vs. charge time (mins.)
AAA: relationship between input amperage/cell (mAh) vs. charge time (mins.)

It also means that we could choose any input amperage-per-cell from the blue curve, i.e. an amperage which lies between 0.1C (the "Break-In") and 1C (the "Fast Charge"):

"

Maybe Panasonic simply renamed the Sanyo chargers. One could possibly find more info on them on the google.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Based on Eneloop trickle-charge testing posted a few years ago, I disagree. It appears that trickle-charging and overcharging is extremely destructive to Eneloops. So, if you want your batteries to last, you absolutely must get a smart charger, and preferably one that doesn't trickle-charge after completion (or alternatively, remove the batteries soon after charging finishes).

My Tesco bought charger is as old as my Eneloop types bought over 8 years ago,all still working fine and no issues.My charger does not trickle charge anyway and charges one cell at a time if needed and AA/AAA and can be mixed.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

My Tesco bought charger is as old as my Eneloop types bought over 8 years ago,all still working fine and no issues.My charger does not trickle charge anyway and charges one cell at a time if needed and AA/AAA and can be mixed.

Old chargers are just as good as new chargers, as long as they terminate when the battery is full. I have an old Kodak 4xAA charger bought back in 2000 that I still use. It cost plenty, but compact smart chargers were expensive back then. Nowadays, a $20 charger probably does a better job. But it works, so I'm not going to throw it out.

Phlogiston

Enlightened

Just remembered that there's a thread here on CPF about the Panasonic BQ-CC14 USB charger, which is supposed to be an equivalent to the NC-MDU01. I can't tell you any more about it, though, because I don't own one myself.

gallon

Newly Enlightened

Cosign. Eneloops are constructed with very sensitive chemistry. That chemistry, and battery life, are compromised when we start forcing charge through them.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cosign. Eneloops are constructed with very sensitive chemistry. That chemistry, and battery life, are compromised when we start forcing charge through them.

Please explain who and what is force charging through them as you have lost me,I have not a clue what you are on about.

gallon

Newly Enlightened

Really mcnair? In a thread about charging eneloops you don't have a clue about what is forcing charge through the batteries?

IsaacL

Enlightened
@Mcnair55

All the explanations given thus far are great. There are handful of important differences between Eneloops and legacy NiMH or even NiCd cells. But setting that aside, much more goes into charging modern LSD NiMH and Li-Ion cells than just running power through them. I recommend reading HKJ's informative and thorough reviews of some currently available chargers if you want to know why all chargers aren't created equal.

@Walkintothelight, right on! I think one reason why the price has come down is because of the emergence of LSD and the elimination of memory effect.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really mcnair? In a thread about charging eneloops you don't have a clue about what is forcing charge through the batteries?

No Mr Gallon I have not a clue about force charging,must admit when following instructions I have never come across it.If I put an Anorak on would that help?

@Mcnair55

All the explanation given thus far are great. There are handful of important differences between Eneloops and legacy NiMH or even NiCd cells. But setting that aside, much more goes into charging modern LSD NiMH and Li-Ion cells than just running power through them. I recommend reading HKJ's informative and thorough reviews of some currently available chargers if you want to know why all chargers aren't created equal.

@Walkintothelight, right on! I think one reason why the price has come down is because of the emergence of LSD and the elimination of memory effect.

It makes no odds to me I just follow the instructions I had with my supermarket charger.My charger has 4 separate slots and can charge 1 cell at a time and either AA/AAA or both at the same time and has an LCD window telling me when they are boiled up ready.I keep an eye open as this supermarket does deals on a charger and 4 own label Eneloop types as an offer.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

Clearly, he's been drinking too much. Maybe he'll make more sense in the morning.