• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

My Peak Eiger Ultra X

Mgizler

Enlightened
Last year I was on the hunt for the perfect EDC Flashlight. Preferably in the AA size since its so readily available. I mean you can find a AAA battery basically anywhere. With that being said my search ended at the Peak Eiger from Oveready with the 219 Nichia. This light has completed my search for the perfect EDC light. It is is light, powerful enough for regular EDC tasks,and has the ability to upgrade it with accessories. Such as a momentary switch, and a prometheus pocket clip. Well I purchased both of these light and it made this great light that much better.

Fast forward to a month ago. I was doing some digging and sparked some curiosity about a more powerful option in the AAA configuration. Although I love my Eiger, there was a desire to find something in the same configuration but with more power. (insert tim the tool man grunt here)

Well, I came across the Peak Eiger Ultra X. For those of you that are not familiar with this model, it is the same as the eiger but with a larger head, direct drive, and can only run on 10440 Li-ion batteries. And boy does this thing pack a punch at around 425+ lumens from the 10440.

So I decided to email Robyn Seabert (owner of Peak) and see what kind of configurations I would be able to get. I know that some of you have gone through Bob at RMSK, But I love dealing directly with Robyn. I have had nothing but great customer service with her and Peak over the last year. I can email her and she gets back as soon as she can and answers any questions that she can. I can also talk to her on the phone and she gets back to me right away. What other company can you do this with!!!! None to my knowledge. This is the one of the biggest reasons that I LOVE Peak!

After a few weeks of thinking about what I want, I decided to go with the Eiger Ultra X in Cool white. Then the process began of Robyn building the light. Yes thats right, The owner not only personally talks to customers but builds the lights as well.

So finally after a few weeks and a holiday involved, the light arrived today.

I love the minimalistic packaging that their lights come with.

Here is a picture of it next to a Maratac AAA Rev 3 for size reference.

They are relatively the same size, yet the Ultra X puts out 4 times the light that the Maratac does. I really cannot believe the power that this little AAA light can produce on a 10440 Li-ion.

Fit and Finish.... This light is unbelievable not only power wise, but the fit and finish. There is not a piece of anno out of place, or knurling thats off. The threads are as smooth as can be and thread together like finely machined threads on a gun barrel. Although very low in weight, this light feels hefty and solid like a well built, hand made flashlight should.

Body.. I decided to go with the shortest body (Pocket Body) possibly for easy pocket carry. I could not remember the exact terminology for the light body that I have,(edit: thanks for reminding me robyn!) but for me it is perfect. It cannot accept a keychain or momentary switch but I have no need for that.

Beam... The beam on this thing is unreal. Its cool white and very bright. Its the narrow optic so it really reaches out there. But also has a nice floody spill to light up everything else around. I tried to get some beamshots, but my Iphone takes crappy pictures and I did not have another camera to take pictures that would really do this light justice.

Here is a picture of some target frames that I have in the yard 25 yards away from where I am standing.

10 yards away on the porch. Lighting up everything I point it at. Plenty of spill to set the light down and light up the entire area for me see things outside the direct beam.

Turned around to check out the roof real quick.

Top frame is at 25 yds and bottom one is about 20. Just for reference.

Overall, I am very happy with my purchase from peak. When I was inquiring about purchasing one of these light, I searched and searched for any info on these lights and really came up with not a whole lot. So this is why I decided to do a little mini review on this Ultra X so maybe it will help someone else out in my same situation.

A few more pics.

Officially kicked every other light out of my pocket!!

One last note. I am using the Ultrafire (blue) 10440 batteries.

Thanks for looking through my little mini review. I will try to get some better photos of the beamshots for you guys.

Last edited:

photonmaster

Banned
These are sweet lights I agree. I do like my Eigers and have three different kinds, although none are the X model.

_MGL0059_zpse67bb700.jpg

_MGL0053_zps0a70234e.jpg

I would also recommend the Captain Ultra X, which I have in SS, solid and bright, adjustable output with QTC that actually works. Runs on a 14500.

GF1A0032_zpsfa3cf775.jpg

26a169c8-bd83-4d80-a7ef-519ed49df099_zps54821fa2.jpg

Mgizler

Enlightened
These are sweet lights I agree. I do like my Eigers and have three different kinds, although none are the X model.

_MGL0059_zpse67bb700.jpg

_MGL0053_zps0a70234e.jpg

I would also recommend the Captain Ultra X, which I have in SS, solid and bright, adjustable output with QTC that actually works. Runs on a 14500.

GF1A0032_zpsfa3cf775.jpg

I love the look of the Copper Eiger! I almost pulled the trigger on one a few months back but ended up going this route. I really like the look of that El Capitan! However, I am not sure if I will purchase one as I want to keep my collection in the 10440 format.

This Ultra x is the smoothest operating QTC that I have every used especially between my two Peaks. Here is My Nichia 219 Oveready edition. With a prometheus pocket clip and Peak momentary switch.

I love this light and love the momentary switch.

I will have to get a picture of the two of them together later. The Nichia 219 beam is amazing!

I must say that this Ultra X blows it out of the water in all aspects. I finally got to test it out last night. I absolutely love it, and want another one already.

photonmaster

Banned
Nice light indeed.

I found the QTC was much smoother in operation on the larger Captain, with less flickering.

None of them compare however to the adjustment knob on the Night Patrol, which is buttery smooth and ramps perfectly.

_MGL0041_zpsc5d7bb76.jpg

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
yet the Ultra X puts out 4 times the light that the Maratac does

Well, that's not a fair comparison! How bright is the Ultra X with a NiMH? (I already know). The Maratac with a 10440 will not be 450+ lumens, but it also won't be only a quarter as bright as the Ultra X, and it will last longer on 10440. Further, at least Maratac puts the threads on the proper side. jk. Peak makes great stuff. I want.

Last edited:

BriteLite2

Enlightened
wow I never realized how beautiful all the other Peaks are. I have a Tuxedo Eiger like seen above but with a keychain attachment .

The Cap looks like it has a matte finish? can this be confirmed? In the pics above of it in SS it looks amazing with perfect fit and finish !!

I never knew they made big lights like the nightpatrol that thing looks amazing too!!

mikeylab

Newly Enlightened

_MGL0059_zpse67bb700.jpg

_MGL0053_zps0a70234e.jpg

GF1A0032_zpsfa3cf775.jpg

i just got my el cap ultra x today. i agree that the qtc works really well. i did buy the same battery that you have pictured, but it doesn't fit in my black aluminum keyring model. it almost fits, but it is too long; i don't have enough threads to keep the head on when turning it to the off position. maybe the different materials have different tolerances?

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice!
I just bought one from one our fine fellow CPF brothers.
I will post pics once I get it.

mikeylab

Newly Enlightened
doe anyone know if the foam o-ring at the rear of the flashlight is necessary? mine seems to work better with out it. i have the keyring model. thanks!

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
longtime PEAK fan here- great product- I have become most forn of the LOGAN with primary CR123's- even have one of the old 7 (?) nichia heads- Great product machined and assembled right here is the USA!

RUSH FAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
New SS Peak Eiger Ultra X with friends.
I need to get a titanium clip from Prometheus.

49fc889e2c7fff792ad94b588dfd7780.jpg

BriteLite2

Enlightened
Nice lights!!!

like that little mule .

whats that thing on the left a battery holder?

I need to get more Peaks!!