Making frisbess Glow in the dark

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I'm a complete dummy when it comes to glow in the dark products. My kids have really enjoyed playing ultimate frisbee with me when I get home from work recently - problem is I tend to barely beat the sunset. I tried some expensive spray paint but it did almost nothing - only after holding it right up to a light source could you see a faint glow. It certainly wasn't good enough to catch a fast moving frisbee in a soccer field.

Anything out there that might work? And of course slightly different for frisbees than say a soccer ball is it can't effect the aerodynamics too much...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ty star halo! I had one of those years ago and someone stole it, then the place I got it from longer carried them.
And then I Forgot to bother looking once eBay and Amazon became useful. Lol
The one I had was originally red and was semi hard to see at distances so I swapped the LED out for a white which worked wonderfully.
Was fun as hell getting a few of us lit up and chasing that thing around the yard at night.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have bought all the glow paints and powders. And tried tons of things with it. The glow Paint they sell is kinda like a powder mixed in with elmers glue. It dries rather brittle. The best technique I found is a ultra clear epoxy and mix in powder. It is pretty darn heavy duty.

But..... you are trying to make it fly! So......I am not sure that my idea will fly and you may find yourself stuck in a sticky situation.

I think the other guys ideas are good. But, I will toss this out there (yes that is another dumb pun). :rolleyes:

MAYBE
to wrap it in a glow vinyl? I have seen it used before. It works ok. But, not sure about the undesired aerodynamic impacts said material may have. Add to it, the fact you will be adding $20 of accessories to your frisbee. So probably a waste, but it would be kinda fun. It is likely cheaper to buy a factory GITD disk.

If you choose to except this challenge, I would suggest you read up on Newton's Principia Mathematica Philosophiae Naturalis.

Example of vinyl I am typing about.
http://www.hhsignsupply.com/productcart/pc/Glow-In-The-Dark-Vinyl-c489.htm

StarHalo

Flashaholic
With the caveat that I'm a huge Aerobie fan: An alternate to the Nite-Ize is the Aerobie Skylighter, a unique soft-edge design that's said to be notably brighter than other lighted frisbees, and it's an Aerobie so it flies farther (check the video at the link..)

Last edited: