TRI EDC vs EDC SST-50 head

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
Looking for measurements of Tri EDC head length vs EDC head length. Mt SST-50 head measures 1.55". The head on the other Mac's that I just bought is 1.45". This second one is a bare host

IsaacL

Enlightened
First, at that length it's definitely not a Tri-EDC. I saw the original pictures in the sale thread.

Second, just so we're straight you're saying the difference is only 2.54mm? Does the new host assemble with the LE installed?

Could the SST-50 EDC and XM-L EDC have used different (length) reflectors? That's the only thing that comes to mind with the info you've offered.

More information and some pictures would definitely be helpful.

Last edited:

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. The SST vs. XML was what I came up with as well. The body and head will not fully screw together with the SST-50 light engine and reflector installed. After running into that problem, that when I measured them and found the difference of .1". XML is the only logical explanation. Does anyone know if the XML pill looks like the Tri or the SST?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Ti EDC with a SST-50 and a Al EDC with a XML in it. I swapped the LE w/ reflector in the host without a problem. The two host were the same length. It could be from a time period he was using a different reflector. I would say that both I had were the later versions since they both would accept a 18350 cell. Do you know if the shorter host was or is originally for use with a 16340 cell? That may not be relevant, just curious.

coldshot

Newly Enlightened
I had a Ti EDC with a SST-50 and a Al EDC with a XML in it. I swapped the LE w/ reflector in the host without a problem. The two host were the same length. It could be from a time period he was using a different reflector. I would say that both I had were the later versions since they both would accept a 18350 cell. Do you know if the shorter host was or is originally for use with a 16340 cell? That may not be relevant, just curious.

The shorter host was a 16340. Barry bored it to accept an 18350. I'm going to measure the length of the reflector in the SST and see if I get lucky with McR reflectors that Wayne has at the Sandwich Shoppe. I'm hoping the McR-19-XR is the sweet spot as the McR-17-XR is what Don uses in the XML Haiku. Then it's an issue to get a proper length pill machined.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm drawing a blank on the exact name of the lights, possibly they were listed as XML 18350, 18500, or 18650. There were two versions of each, shallow and deep reflector. I know the outside design was different on these but not sure if the pills/reflectors were similar. I never owned one just drooled over the pictures on the website. Maybe someone can chime in with some knowledge about the parts compatibility of these or parts used, difference in length between the two.

archimedes

Flashaholic
....just so we're straight you're saying the difference is only 2.54mm? ....

.... that when I measured them and found the difference of .1"....

....It could be from a time period he was using a different reflector....

I think I was able to finally find the exact post to confirm this :duh2:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?251939-SST-50-EDC-Light-2nd-Run-*All-Shipped*

EDIT - Looking at Macs SST-50 "First Run" thread, as well, I think it is indeed very likely that this host was from that first run (with the slightly smaller reflector and shorter bezel assembly) ....

Last edited: