The 2015 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List -- Cast Your Vote!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
*The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List 2015*

Happy 2015 Flashaholics
:wave:
This is Guy (aka: Tgwnn or the_guy_with_no_name) and I'm looking forward to maintaining this years "Must-Have" list.

A big thanks to everyone who participated in last years thread and looking forward to your votes for the 2015 list. Click to View The 2014 Results.

Please be sure to read the "How To Vote" section below (to ensure your vote is actually counted).

The Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List is an annual list updated each year.

To stay on the list year after year, light makers will need to remain relevant, innovative and on the cutting edge of ever-expanding lighting technology. This does NOT mean that there is a restriction on what year a light was made to be eligible for a vote. You may have a 20 year old light that is no longer made, but you feel like it is a true "must-have" for you. It can go on the list. The point is, no light will remain indefinitely on the list as it will be started fresh each year. It will be difficult for lights to remain relevant and compete year after year with no updates.

So here we go – this is the 2015 Flashaholic's "Must-Have" List. At the end of 2015 we'll crown the top 10 lights of the year, and start a brand new must-have list in 2016 with a goal of keeping track of the annual top 10 winners each year so we can see who stays on top over time.

How To Vote

The "must-have" list voting rules

1. It has to be a "must-have" for you. Meaning, of the lights you own, this one is a "must" have - and therefore you would never consider selling it. (unless of course you were in dire straits)
  2. It must be a specific light - this is a specific "must-have" flashlight for you, not a favorite manufacturer or line of flashlights
  3. Please limit your total votes to no more than five (5) lights. This does not mean you should automatically list five of your lights, but this is the limit. This is not intended to be a list of all the lights you own. If you have more than one light you feel is a true "must-have" light, feel free to list more than one. However, we want to avoid individuals indiscriminately listing all their lights.
  4. Please use the correct voting format. Details below.

Additional Guidelines

• You cannot cast a vote for a light you do not have - you are casting a vote of confidence based on your experience with a light.
  • You can change your mind at anytime by editing your original post or adding a new post but please limit your votes to 5 flashlights. Only your 5 most recent choices will be counted.
  • Feel welcome to mention why you like a particular light but please keep those comments either above or below the numbered list, not on the same line.
  • Only the total number of votes for each flashlight are counted so whether you list a light as #1# or #5# has no impact on the final outcome.

How To Vote (the correct format)

The votes in this thread are counted using an automated script which is why using the correct format is required (so the script can find your votes). This may take an extra few seconds for you but literally saves hours for me, every time I need to calculate totals to post an update (which I'll do throughout the course of the year) so I very much appreciate your efforts to follow it.
howtovote_zpspuqhavpa.jpg

Here's the list format with O's in place of the flashlight info

#1# OOOO : OOOO
#2# OOOO : OOOO
#3# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO
#4# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO
#5# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO

Feel free to add comments below the list.

The third column is optional, and less than 5 choices is fine too so your list could look like this

#2# OOOO : OOOO

or just this

The format broken down in detail

#Your Vote Number# : Brand/Maker name: Specific Model: Sub Model Info
The red parts above are required.

#1# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO = Your Vote Number (#1# or #2# or #3# etc..) Please use 2 sharp signs

#1# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO = Brand/Maker name (eg. SureFire)

#1# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO = Specific Model (eg. EB2)

#1# OOOO : OOOO : OOOO = Sub Model Info (eg. Ti version) the last part is optional

Finally, please use the colons : to separate the information.

In case you are still confused about the format, check out the 2014 Must Have List to see some examples and the results of the votes (results are in Post #1).

As always, suggestions on improvements etc are always very welcome.

Tgwnn

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for keeping this running, Guy!

Here's my vote for 2015:-

#1# MBI : HF-R : Ti UTT 3-Mode
#2# OMG Lumens : Deft-X
#3# Cool Fall : SPY Tri-V2 : SWGG
#4# Lux-RC : FL33
#5# HDS Systems : Rotary

osef

Newly Enlightened
I thoroughly enjoyed reading the lists from previous years, so I feel obliged to contribute my own list of favorites as a new CPF member. My thanks to TGwnn for his work on these lists.

#1# Surefire : 6P : Malkoff M361N drop-in/Clicky tail
#2# Surefire : Z2 : Eagletac Nichia 219 triple 2-mode drop-in/Clicky tail
#3# Malkoff : Hound Dog : 18650
#4# Malkoff : Wild Cat : MD4
#5# Zebralight : SC600w II L2

Notes:

I use the Surefire lights in modified form, but the others are stock. The numerical order in my list is not very meaningful.

I could have picked many other lights that I routinely use (including some AA and AAA lights), but these five were my "must-haves." All five are beautifully made tools that serve a purpose, and are a pleasure to own.

Rationale:

Surefire 6P: Many Lego possibilities make this model invaluable. It's a pleasure to hold and use, especially if modified to one's tastes.

Surefire Z2: All the Lego options, plus the great combat grip. I have other Z-series lights, including the AZ2 and the Z2-S (which have very different qualities), and the Z2 serves as a stand-in for this class of lights. I routinely use one of these on a neck lanyard during evening walks. I'll hold a lower-lumen flashlight (like the 6P or a G2) to light the way through the woods, then use the Z-series light to illuminate any odd noises or darker parts of the forest.

Malkoff Hound Dog (18650): A beautiful thrower. It can easily replace a Z-series light on an evening walk, especially if I'm going deeper into the woods. It's a little heavier and bulkier than the Surefire Z lights, which makes it a little less neck friendly. But it makes up for it with its power. Nice high-low option.

Malkoff Wild Cat: An amazing amount of flood from such a small device. Easily lights up my entire backyard if I want to investigate a noise (typically a cat or a deer). Lights up the interior of my garage too, if I'm looking for something late at night and I don't want to trip over all the kids toys and bicycles and everything else that's piled in there. Also has a high-low option with a twist of the head.

Zebralight SC600w II L2: A unique light with a wonderful interface. Mostly used inside the home (but can also serve as a carry light for late-night walks). I use the tail-stand "feature" for middle of the night diaper changes of my son.

cland72

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1# Surefire : 6P
#2# Surefire : L1
#3# FourSevens : Mini : 123

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since we can update at any time, I'll go ahead and throw my picks out there too.

#1# Nitecore : TM26 : XM-L2
#2# MBI : HF : Stainless Steel
#3# Supbeam : K40 : Vn
#4# Zebralight : SC600 : Mk II L2
#5# Olight : S30 : Titanium

1. The OLED. Simple as that. Once you use it for a while, you hate going back to other lights. Voltage, temp, runtime, and more all visible at a glance. Also a great hiking light. Very wide spill, and enough throw for almost all "normal" tasks. Great regulation and runtime.
2. TINY. Hard to believe how small it is, pictures don't do it justice. Can always have it with me, no matter what I am wearing or what else I am carrying. Tough as nails.
3. Best thrower I have, brighter and easily more than twice the throw of a stock light. Outstanding value as well - this is Vinh's most popular light of all time for a reason.
4. My go-to EDC. Great interface, efficient, incredible range of brightness levels, and true thermal regulation, not a timer. Also has a built-in battery gauge. I carry this more often than any other light.
5. The titanium S30 just edged out my former pick for the last spot, the Nitecore SRT7. Less versatile, but it looks and feels awesome, love the magnet for hands-free use, and has a very nice beam. My first 18650-based titanium light, and it is a winner. Edit: liking it more and more. Direct access to high, moonlight, or last used mode. MUCH better interface than I thought at first. Right up there with my best lights.

Last edited:

seb13

Newly Enlightened
Today :

#1# HDS Systems : Clicky
#2# Armytek : Prime A1 : Pro warm
#3# Thrunite : TN36 : Neutral
#4# Armytek : Wizard : Pro warm
#5#

Phlogiston

Enlightened
My choices:

#1# Sunwayman : V20A
#2# Fenix : LD02
#3# Fenix : E05
#4# Fenix : TK41

1. The V20A's magnetic control ring provides continuously variable output from under a lumen up to about 160 lumens off 2xAA Eneloop NiMH. I can fall back to 1.5V primary cells if I have to, I can use AAA cells with adaptors, and it'll even run off a single cell if I use a short-circuit spacer. It also fits on a Fenix deluxe headband. All told, the V20A covers 90% of my flashlight use.

2. The LD02 is my belt EDC. Small, unobtrusive, three modes and runs on 1xAAA Eneloop NiMH, with the option of 1.5V primary cells if need be. I have an LD01 pocket clip rammed onto mine for bezel-up carry, which means it can double as an impromptu headlamp on the bill of my baseball cap. This is the light that gets me to wherever my nearest V20A is.

3. The E05 is on my keychain as a backup to the LD02. It's currently the old single-mode version, but I plan to get the 2014 3-mode version. Like the LD02, it's small, unobtrusive and runs on 1xAAA Eneloop NiMH, with the option of 1.5V primary cells if need be. This one also has an LD01 pocket clip on it for bezel-up carry and impromptu headlamp use.

4. The TK41 is my go-to light for throw. I use Eneloops, so I'm not worried about battery use, and I consider the extra bulk to be a good tradeoff for AA cell standardisation. I've never used primary cells in this light, but they're an option if I ever have to. Conveniently, the TK41 can ride in a Maglite belt loop.

I don't use throwy lights much these days, but I used to walk several hundred metres to and from work through unlit fields. I find it much easier to pick my route when my light has the throw to let me decide a long way in advance.

Zeyeman

Newly Enlightened
So far:

#1# Fenix : HL10
#2# Fenix : E99 : Ti
#3# Zebralight : H52W
#4# FourSevens : Mini CR2

These are the lights that get the most daily use (not all in the same day, don't be crazy... OK, I confess: sometimes in the same day! :sssh:).

1. I got this on a whim (and on sale) to see how practical a AAA headlamp is, in spite of the reduced runtime relative to AA cells -- and it's grown on me. This light is surprisingly lightweight, especially since I replaced the bracket and strap with a bungee, cordlock, and finger sleeve combination. (As with most headlamps modded this way, I can use it mainly as neck carry, but can quickly adjust it for head-use when necessary.) I also corrected the tint with some Rosco filter (#3409). The 90 deg flood is almost as good as my H502c (but the 502c wins in the tint department). I wish Fenix would eliminate the mode memory, and provide a way to go from Medium to Low without going thru High first...

2. Although the tint is better than the Fenix LD02, I chose not to correct the tint as it's not too bad. The E99 seems a tad brighter than my LD02 and Preon 1 (Gen 2). I dislike shiny titanium, but in this case I think Fenix pulled it off since the light is so small. I modded this light with a lip balm cap which I placed over the bottom of the light to provide a more comfortable "button" to press for momentary use. The bottom is machined with very precise edges that dig into my skin, and this cap makes the light much more usable. I did have to drill two tiny holes to allow for a lanyard attachment.

3. If I had to bring just one light, this is it. Four cell chemistries, with two of those off-the-shelf? Wow :). But this one almost didn't make my list as with the bungee/cordlock/finger sleeve config., I get ever-so-slight spill onto my nose. (I'm working on a flexible blinder (kind of like what the old Zebralights used to have) but they look kind of clunky.) I modded this light with some Rosco #3027 diffusion film to create a homemade "H52FW" version.

4. This one I'm calling my sleeper of the year. I bought this in 2013, and although I knew about the deficiencies of CR2 cells, this Mini became a shelf queen after my first cell crapped out after 9 days or so (intermittent use). But when I found some LiFePO4 RCR2s last year, I suddenly moved this queen to the front lines. It's the smallest/lightest/brightest of all my lights, and with 3.6V chargers at work and at home, the 1 hour runtime on medium :eek:oo: isn't such a bear (I carry a spare RCR2 and CR2 cells). I wish my Nitecore UM10 charger had voltage switching (3.6V & 4.2V) so I could travel lighter, and I wish FourSevens would bring back the titanium version with an XPG-2, if only just to make me happy :wave:

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened
The three lights in my collection I must have:

#1# Zebralight: H600: F
#2# Zebralight: SC62
#3# Streamlight: Waypoint: Rechargeable

Numbers 1 and 2 are, by far, the most versatile, easy-to-use and easy-to-carry lights I own. They've seen their fair share of use and abuse, too. Nothing in my current collection really comes close other than some other Zebralights.

Number 3 gets used on the boat at night. Can recharge it on the boat, throws a long way, and floats if I were to drop it overboard.

Last edited:

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
#1# Zebralight: H52w
#2# DQG: Slim AAA
#3# Olight: M2x

1. This 3'' wonder is a pocket rocket with 14500 battery. It's a flashlight, headlamp, worklight, desk lamp, etc. all rolled into one.

2. At around 2.5'' this is the smallest clicky AAA light in the market. TIR lens gives it a big hot spot which is very useful at close range.

3. First factory de-domed light on the market. It's my car/search light.

Last edited:

Berneck1

Enlightened
#1# Eagletac : D25a : clicky
#2# Thrunite : Ti3

I always have at least two lights on me. These are the two. I have several other 18650, CR123, 2 x AA lights, etc, but these two cover just about every possible need I have. Their size, useful levels of light and common battery types make them a must have for EDC.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

bladesmith3

Enlightened
#1# Solarforce : l2n : XM-L2 CW
#2# Fenix : ld 50
#3# Nitecore : TM26
#4# Thrunite : TN12
#5# Fenix : EO5 : 2014 edition

#1 is my go to light. I have several
#2 my dog walking light. I love it. powerful and fits in my pocket.
#3 the tm26 took my tk75 floodlight spot
#4 TN12 is my 18650 edc
#5 everyone needs a light that fits in your mouth. LOL

Last edited:

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
bladesmith, do you mean the Nitecore TM26, or the Thrunite TN36? They are both excellent flood lights, but I'm not sure which one you are trying to list.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
although the tn36 is a great wall of light... (too warm for my tastes) the nitecore tm26 is much more a thrower but still a wall of light. much better when I need lots of light on mountain hikes and overnighters.