dilligan

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pistol Catridge Box for AA Battery Storage Tip

That is a darn good idea! Thanks!

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great! Now I have to buy the Gun & Ammo to store my AA's! :broke:

Good idea though. I just don't own such a fire breathing beast! I got to shoot one a few times. It will twist your (my) wrist for sure. Of course it is a manly gun, and I don't have manly hands, so it really flips up on me. It is a force to be respected!! Not a gun for plinking by any means. But very impressive when you hold it. I always thought the Snub Nose version in the Yellow Pelican case with the bear kit. That looked so cool. Bet that one really has some kick!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

it really flips up on me. It is a force to be respected!! Not a gun for plinking by any means. But very impressive when you hold it.

There have been incidents of double-discharge under recoil with the S&W monster guns. The recoil is so bad, you basically pull the trigger again.

S&W Magnum: Let the dinosaurs come back. We're ready!

Got one. It gives you no choice but to handload. That ammo is $$expeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensive!$$ On the plus, handloading lets you load it down with softer powder.

Never, ever, ever fire a S&W supermagnum without hearing protection. I did it once. ONCE.

ChrisGarrett

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got a hundred of those ammo boxes for various cartridges and don't bother using them for my battery storage mainly because I don't really have say 50 alkaleak AAs here and because I like the smaller 4 piece smaller snap boxes better and store them in something like a Plano storage box.

If I need to run out of the house, I grab a case of four and put it in my pocket and go.

I guess if you have 100 Eneloops and you need to store them in one convenient place, that works. Just remember that they're not waterproof, if that matters?

Chris

G. Scott H.

Enlightened

Never, ever, ever fire a S&W supermagnum without hearing protection. I did it once. ONCE.

:eek:

Huh? Could you speak up a little?:p When I was about 14 years old, my folks and I were visiting some of my dad's family back in Illinois, and we also visited an old family friend who lived out on a farm. The guy took us out to the side of the barn and let us fire off some .44 mag (Ruger Super Blackhawk) and some 410 shotgun ammo (don't recall the exact gun, but it was a bolt action). I fired one cylinder out of the magnum and about 10 rounds out of the shotgun with no hearing protection. My hearing didn't return to normal until about halfway through the next day. I learned the value of earplugs and muffs that day for sure, and have worn them ever since, whenever shooting.

I only have 40 Eneloop AA's right now, which I keep in sets of 4 in the little blue plastic boxes, but one of these might be just the ticket as my collection increases (which it no doubt will). Great idea. :cool:

Phlogiston

Enlightened

I've had a hearing loss since birth, so I wear two hearing aids. I used to routinely fire 7.62mm calibre rifles without ear defenders, because I could turn off my hearing aids and basically have a very expensive pair of custom earplugs :)

I eventually gave in and started wearing the ear defenders after all, though, because I was forever being interrupted by people panicking about my apparent lack of protection. Even if I'd briefed the range officer in advance, there'd always be a fellow shooter who'd worry.

Turned out to have a silver lining, though, because I discovered that touching the ear defender to the rifle stock was a great way of making sure my head was in the same place every time relative to my rearsight.

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ahh, yes, the variation of the classic "cheek weld," the "hearing protection weld." Even firing a .22 used to ring my ears doing that. Then again, it was really crappy earmuffs....

KosmoC

Newly Enlightened

That is the exact same case I use to organize my Eneloop collection. It was posted awhile back in another thread here on the forum. It works extremely well, and helps me keep track of what's what batterywise.

I of course have several 4 cell and 2 cell flip cases for grab and go duty, but I gotta say that the MTM case really helps keep my charging area in order. Thing was only like 5 bucks, if I recall.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

can anyone try cases for cartridge for the supermagnums (like the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby) for 18650 fit?

Correction, it seems the thickest cartridge case is the 505 Gibbs one at 16.3mm, and then we jump up to 20.3 with the 50BMG

Last edited:

Face

Enlightened

They look a great idea...

Not knowing much about guns and ammo are either of these the same thing for AA or AAA storage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00162QDMK/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L3C43XE/

If not, if someone is able to spare a few moments on amazon.co.uk and advise which cases would fit AA and which would fit AAA I would be really grateful.

Many thanks

Face

Last edited:

KosmoC

Newly Enlightened

They look a great idea...

Not knowing much about guns and ammo are either of these the same thing for AA or AAA storage

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00162QDMK/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L3C43XE/

If not, if someone is able to spare a few moments on amazon.co.uk and advise which cases would fit AA and which would fit AAA I would be really grateful.

Many thanks

Face

Face, those are both showing the same case, actually. That is the one that perfectly fits the AA size. :)

It looks like selection is somewhat limited over there, but the closest match I see for AAA would be the green one that fits 50 rds of .223.
Still might be a bit wiggly, but would work.

Also, for the guys that have alot of 18650 cells, a 28 guage shotshell is nearly a perfect match dimensionally speaking, so a variety of different shotshell holders would be handy for those as well.

Face

Enlightened

thanks KosmoC

Have ordered a couple for my AAs

Thanks again,

Face

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

can anyone try cases for cartridge for the supermagnums (like the 375 H&H, 416 Rigby) for 18650 fit?

Correction, it seems the thickest cartridge case is the 505 Gibbs one at 16.3mm, and then we jump up to 20.3 with the 50BMG

Beautful post, and perfect timing!!! Thanks CPF!

Extreme weather in the area, power outage expected. Sounds like the perfect night to curl up with some calipers, reloading manuals and figure this out.

What does CPF want?

AAA/10440, AA/14500, 18650? Any others? Time to hunt some specs.

Also, for the guys that have alot of 18650 cells, a 28 guage shotshell is nearly a perfect match dimensionally speaking, so a variety of different shotshell holders would be handy for those as well.

Quite unfortunate that 28 gauge is more or less a "sporting cartridge" only, therefore no "shotshell side saddles" would exist. Too bad, it'd be a neat option for carrying spare 18650 for your tac light.

Face

Enlightened

The more options the better i say :)

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast

well for AAA and about 10mm of diameter 222Remington/223Remington seems to be the shortest rifle case there is without going to similar pistol cartridges that are definitely shorter than the AAAs

for AA and about 14mm of diameter we have the 500 mangum option

for 18350 seems there is no option

for 16340 the 505 Gibbs/Nitro express MAY be an option.
If there is a case for it, it will be very high

at this point this is the better I can do....
IF anyone wishes to explore, further this is THE resource
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm
Scroll down to the CARTRIDGE DIMENSIONS tables and search for Base Diameter and Ctge length

maybe one should contact the MTM guys...:devil:

edit: seems for 18650s we have a good luck
MTM shotgun cases, 20 gauge 3inch
http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/common/shotshell-case-chart.php

Last edited:

KosmoC

Newly Enlightened

Actually, there are many options for 28 gauge shell holders, belt packs, storage cases, leather stock mounted sleeves, etc. Just need to know where to look. 20 gauge would probably work too, depending on if it was a storage case or belt mounted or what have you.

In the USA, that is. I don't know how common 28 ga is in Europe or other parts of the world though.

Edit: The above linked cases on the Amazon UK site show the same case, but use descriptions from 2 different cases. RSLD-50 is the one that nicely holds AA batteries.

Last edited:

Keisari

Newly Enlightened

Quite unfortunate that 28 gauge is more or less a "sporting cartridge" only, therefore no "shotshell side saddles" would exist. Too bad, it'd be a neat option for carrying spare 18650 for your tac light.
Suitable buttstock-attached strechy sleeve textile shell holders will exist for any shotgun gauge (or pretty much any rifle caliber) if you keep looking for. I would not put batteries in an actual "side saddle" anyways and keep it only for tactical reloading. The spare cell(s) could be kept in a specifically assigned slot in a buttstock accessory, as to minimize the hassle i.e. attempting to reload with a non-ammo object.

Maybe a fabric holder around the buttstock, where one slot would receive a velcro flap to hold one battery, and the other slots would remain exposed to carry quickly accessible spare shotshells? Oh yes. That's the part my shotgun-and-light project was missing. Thank you CPF. This kind of a product might already exist, but I never thought about that.

Actually, there are many options for 28 gauge shell holders, belt packs, storage cases, leather stock mounted sleeves, etc. Just need to know where to look. 20 gauge would probably work too, depending on if it was a storage case or belt mounted or what have you.
That's probably the way to go. Textile or leather 20 gauge shell holders might work very well. Even some synthetic 12 gauge version might work if it's tight enough.

In the USA, that is. I don't know how common 28 ga is in Europe or other parts of the world though.
12 gauge is dominating the shotgun market at least in Finland to the extent of other gauges being pretty much oddballs. Good luck finding 28 gauge specific accessories locally. I have a gut feeling this might be the case in several European countries, but not nearly all of them.
How about 16340 & 18350 sizes?
I can imagine many shotshell holders that are suitable for 18650 could be easily cut down to enable access to a shorter spare cell.

Last edited:

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast

Update: Found something interesting. A lot of ammo boxes are oversized wrt dimensions of the cartridges.

Depending on the specific ammo box, 10440/AAA MIGHT fit in .357 magnum, .357 maximum, or .41 magnum.

I just tried AAA in a factory box of .357 mag shells, and it was slightly oversized in diameter for the box I tried. Length of AAA was a touch long for that specific box (no go, Sellier and Bellot.) However, .357 MAXIMUM may be just the ticket. The boxes vary wildly by manufacturer.

Small arms cartridges have tolerances in the thousandths of an inch, the aftermarket storage boxes... far less so.

Still hunting. Maybe just take your battery to a sporting shop and start comparing...

Found zero cartridge box contenders for 18350 or 16340, however 16340~CR123 and there ARE holder sleeves and boxes for CR123.