Seek Thermal

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Just got the new Seek thermal imager last week. for those who don't know about the device its a device that plugs into the charging port of your cell phone and displays thermal Images on your screen. I wasn't thinking the unit would be that great but after getting it and trying it out I'm extremely pleased with it. Images are very clear not as good as some of the Flir gear I used in the Marine corp. but its DAMN good I bought the XR version meaning extended range. it also has a focusable Lense to sharpen the images your seeing. Do a search for SEEK thermal, I bought my direct from seek and got it in a weeks time. they are for Android and Apple and use a free app from the play store to run the device.

Joe

CDP930

Newly Enlightened
I've had mine for a few months now. Super cool. Wasn't aware of the extended range version. If you have watched any of the promo vids can you say how much better the range is?

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah that is a really cool device. My friend has one and he let me take it home to play with it one night. My favorite thing I did with it was using the hair dryer to draw on the carpet and other objects. It's a lot of fun. I didn't use it for anything useful when I had access to it though haha.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
I have the Seek Thermal XR in the mail (expected this week).
Hopefully I can find some useful application for it other than just the suggested uses on the thermal webpage.
None of the other low priced thermals has the range I need living in a subzero area of the world.
I will update with pictures and usability as soon as possible.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
you can see the difference in some of the video, Tho id say its dependent on the users ability to focus the device. I plan on using my device for hunting and scouting will be nice to see what's moving about under my tree stand in total darkness. I often have deer moving rite by me in the dark while hunting. will also be great during turkey season to help me with setting up on roost sites so I don't get so close they can see me setting up. I have a 3D printer so Ill be making a goggle system to mount the phone into so it keeps stray light down to a min. the goggle can be made from cardboard there are many plans on these on the net search virtual android goggle. I'll be heading to my property this weekend coming to see how far this thing can see I have deer entering an 1100 yard open field down in a corner I plan to stalk towards the area till I see the signature and then to the point I can make out what it is I'm seeing.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I have the Seek thermal imager also. I have the original one for Android. It's been fascinating to see heat distribution in equipment racks. I can tell at a glance where we need to make adjustments to air conditioning flows.

The microbolometer for the Seek is higher resolution than the Flir One. Flir compensates for this by overlaying an edge-detected image from a conventional camera, which makes the image appear to be more distinct, but at the expense of actual thermal resolution. This is what drove me to the Seek device (well, that and the fact that the Seek is significantly less expensive and compatible with more devices, even some tablets). They don't advertise it as tablet compatible, but you can sideload the apk onto an Android tablet and it will work, providing the tablet is running a current version of the OS that supports USB OTG.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Photon that's exactly why I chose the seek over the Flir also. and yes it sure does work with some Tablets I'm contemplating switching my OS version on my Samsung galaxy 4 Tab. Seek has said they are working on other OS versions to try and get more compatibility with such devices, so I may just wait to see what's offered in the future. I'm honestly in no hurry to get it to my tablet since it works on my galaxy note 3 phone already, but larger screen would be smoking nice. I have used it around the house to check my windows and such, But my purpose for it is hunting.

Joe

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
It works well on my Asus Memopad 7, although the connector faces the wrong way, so I bought a 6" OTG extension cable and I then attach the camera to the back of the pad with a small piece of velcro. It is much nicer to have a larger screen. I think if you go much beyond a 7" tablet though, you won't see more resolution, just larger pixels.

An OTG extension cable differs form a regular USB extension in that all 5 pins are wired through - +5v, GND, TX, RX and sense. The sense pin is critical for OTG to work properly. Without it, the host won't detect the camera.

You can also use a longer OTG extension cable to snake the camera into inaccessible spots.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I ended up making a slide on bracket and holder for my seek so it can attack to the back of my cell phone because I keep my phone in a otter box the device wont fit into the port I also choose a 6" extension to make the connection then later bought a 12" so I could slide the bracket up higher on the rear of the phone. If they release a OS version I can run on my tablet ill make a bracket and holder for it as well I do have a small 7" tablet I jail broke and installed android on gonna dig that out and try it on that tablet. Ill post some pics in a few min of the bracket for my phone. I'm printing out the Goggle to make it VR as I type this.

Joe

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Nice job, throwjunkie. I gouged out a little chunk from the bottom of my case to allow the camera to plug in. Your solution looks very good for an Otterbox.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
TY I should have left it be as it came off the printer but it was quite glossy. I roughed it with some fine sandpaper to knock off the gloss. I may end up shooting some ultra flat duracoat on it.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Finally got to it.
My iOS version is here.
First impression of the XR version is great.
Focus is good although the 20 degree lens is a bit narrow.
The new and improved Thermal+ with pan and zoom works brilliantly.
Without much effort the pictures (almost) line up.
Long range detection (people walking on sea ice) also good.

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
awesome is the thermal+ a different version or something for only iOS

Here is a teaser of the goggle im working on just need to design and print the lense holders

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
As of version 1.8.6 for Android the same is possible.
Makes a big difference with pan and zoom to line up the images. I double click on the real image, set it and double click again.
The first Seek has a 36 degree fov and the xr has only 20.
But the adjustable focus makes it all worth it.
Very detailed pictures.
I tried to upload pictures but system won't allow me - at least from the phone. :what:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
Go to photobucket and set up a free account you can then DL your pick to there and use them to host your pictures here

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
ok I updated my seek so I can get the extra features and now its even better then before. I'm not sure why it didn't auto update I have that set to on, but no matter I have it now. I'm waiting on the lenses for the Goggle set and ill be playing around with that I hope this works it will be nice to have it attached while on stand waiting for daylight as well as night critter hunting. I have a DIY night vision set up on my 223 vermin riffle. was very simple to build and works extremely well.

Eskimojo

Newly Enlightened
Nice I'd like to see that.
I just attached a cable to mine - I stay in the car and reach the Seek out the window so do my searches.
My only rifle is a 6.5x55 mm old hand build from 1942.