Alpha Ready-Made Reflector issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
I noticed some specks of stuff on the reflector shortly after receiving my Prometheus Alpha Ready-Made. I think it is dust or lint. I'm not sure. Has anyone else noticed this with these lights? It seems like a minor thing, but it is annoying. Is this something I should get fixed?

I tried to get some pics of it with and without the light on.

nmd3ZFy.jpg

x45f7Ru.jpg

K0CE5n6.jpg

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi knife117 :welcome:

This has been an issue for some and a non-issue for others, for as long as there has been reflectors in flashlights and dust to get into said flashlights. :tinfoil: Just enter "Dust" & "Reflector" into the Google Search bar at the top right of your screen... You'll see that this has been discussed extensively.

I have not encountered dust in my Alphas, but then again, I haven't really bothered to check. :p My take is that if it the ball of lint or gob of dust is not big enough to cause beam artefacts or a serious drop in out-the-front lumens... Just leave it be. To me, it is a non-issue.

There are however, some who will lose sleep and get undue anxiety over the dust. If so, you may take the risk and attempt to remove the offending dust/lint, bearing in mind that in the process of doing so, you risk damaging the O-ring during the removal process and/or leaving dust/fingerprints on or scratching the window and/or introducing more dust into the flashlight. :eek:

knife117

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply. I'm still curious if this is common with these lights.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of any flashlight manufacturer that uses a clean room for assembly. I've read reports of this sort for all the big players. My two Alphas are dust free.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
For who wish to access the Primary Seal Ring (PSR), O-ring, Window, Reflector and Emitter in the Alpha, and are comfortable doing your own flashlight maintenance, here's an informative video from Jason highlighting the process of PSR and O-ring removal. Once those are out, you have access to the reflector.

Personally, I've had good success with a wooden toothpick (Less likely to damage the O-ring and/or scratch the window).

knife117

Newly Enlightened
For who wish to access the Primary Seal Ring (PSR), O-ring, Window, Reflector and Emitter in the Alpha, and are comfortable doing your own flashlight maintenance, here's an informative video from Jason highlighting the process of PSR and O-ring removal. Once those are out, you have access to the reflector.

Personally, I've had good success with a wooden toothpick (Less likely to damage the O-ring and/or scratch the window).

[emoji51]

That video makes me nervous. Have you ever removed the glass? How is that done?

knife117

Newly Enlightened
I don't know of any flashlight manufacturer that uses a clean room for assembly. I've read reports of this sort for all the big players. My two Alphas are dust free.

When you say dust free, do you mean no loose dust? Mine doesn't have loose dust, but has things that look like little grains of dirt stuck to certain places. One of them looks like a little fiber.

Do you see little imperfections on the reflector when the light is on low mode like in the picture I posted?

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
No foreign matter is visible when looking with the emitter off. On low, I can see a few very tiny specs that might be "dust" or might be imperfections in the reflector.....don't know and don't care.

If an object is on the reflector that negatively impacts the light's beam, Jason may happily remove said object, or as has been shown in videos, you can do it yourself if your careful.

I understand that some people are unable to ignore things, even when they really don't matter. If you're one of them, I'll happily buy this defective Alpha from you so you don't have to worry about it.

And :welcome:.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
I took another picture of it. I cleaned the glass, so every little speck you see on the reflector is actually on the reflector. Does yours have this many little things on the reflector?

I know that a few little pieces of dirt or whatever won't have any negative effect, but I think mine looks pretty bad. I just want I make sure I'm getting the most lumens out of what I paid for this light. [emoji4]

wfOn2z0.jpg

Newguy2012

Enlightened
You'll get over it in time. The dust in the reflector doesn't really affect the lumens. It's just ugly if you like staring into the reflector. Doesn't the light come with a report card?

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
That video makes me nervous. Have you ever removed the glass? How is that done?

It is done very carefully. ;)Just kidding!

If anything, I think the video is meant to dissuade anyone from opening up the Alpha. :p
Don't do it unless you know what you're doing.
The glass window can be removed once the PSR and O-ring is out. And below that, the Ledil Boom MC-S reflector can be easily removed.

Yes, I have removed the glass. And a lot more. :D

Here's a word of advice. As with guns and knives, turn the business end of your flashlight away from you. Use it and enjoy it.

Oh, and if I recall correctly, the Ready-Mades do not come with a report card. :)

nbp

Flashaholic
Mine definitely did not look like that. I am usually a proponent of turning the light away and igniting and forgetting about a speck of dust, but that looks unusually bad. I'd be curious what Jason has to say, that seems like a pretty scuzzy reflector.

knife117

Newly Enlightened
So I contacted Jason about it, and he seemed like he was willing to fix the issue by exchanging my light for one with a clean reflector. I sent the light back to him and waited. I had to send a reminder to him to get my light back because he apparently forgot about it. So he sends a new light back to me, and this is what I get:

duFUBpd.jpg

684SLkH.jpg

The new light had scratches, dust, and what looks like an intentionally placed finger print smudge! The hell? I sent several emails to Jason about the issue, and he never responded. I had to file a claim through PayPal to return the light and get my money back. I'll never do business with Prometheus lights again. Buyer beware!

nbp

Flashaholic
As I noted in other thread, I would interested to hear Jason's side of the story, here in his subforum. Of course, this doesn't really involve the rest of us, but a brief explanation may help in assuaging any concerns from the members over the quality of Jason's products, which most have found to be excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.