EL Panel buying source and ?'s

rammertide07

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone (or whoever reads this anyways), first time poster. Little about what I do, I do vinyl decals on the side of my full time job. I know very little about el panels except it works off phosphorous and electrical current. Few questions:

Can this be cut with something such as a vinyl cutting machine?

What do you use to seal the panel once it is cut? I'm thinking something along the lines of 3M edge sealer

Where can I buy raw panels with no wire?...and how do you place the wire into the el panel?

That's it for now, thanks in advance!!

more_vampires

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm looking for raw EL panels as well.

My understanding of the EL stuff is you can cut it with scissors. You crimp connectors INTO it, sealing is not required. I'm no expert, though. (Yet.)

I've a couple EL panel lightlights that I love, and now I can't seem to find them anymore. They burn next to zero electricity. I have had them for maybe 15 years. I used to have a bunch plugged into a power strip for a near zero juice lamp. Life got in the way and they started going missing. Two left. :(

rammertide07

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for raw EL panels as well.

My understanding of the EL stuff is you can cut it with scissors. You crimp connectors INTO it, sealing is not required. I'm no expert, though. (Yet.)

I've a couple EL panel lightlights that I love, and now I can't seem to find them anymore. They burn next to zero electricity. I have had them for maybe 15 years. I used to have a bunch plugged into a power strip for a near zero juice lamp. Life got in the way and they started going missing. Two left. :(

Thanks for the reply!!

I think I'm going to buy 1 panel and try it on the plotter cutter. It uses a fine razor knife that is able to cut 30 mil that I know of. That way I can do precisions cuts. How do you crimp the wires in? When I think of crimping, I think of using both arms to crush a connector on a wire. These will be out in the weather, on the side of vehicles. So better I seal it, the better. I read you want to get it sealed to keep the O2 out so the phosphorous doesn't degrade.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh my. I should have never clicked that Adafruit link. This is gonna cost me $$$. lol Too much cool stuff there. Where to start. :broke: