Review: Eagtac P25LC2: dual light, XM-L T6, max. 820 lumens, beamshots, comparison

kj75

Enlightened
Review: Eagtac P25LC2 diffusor: dual light, XM-L2 T6, max. 820 lumens, beamshots, comparison

Eagtac has recently introduced a bunch of new (interesting) lights. Some of them are of a totally new concept: What about the P25CL2? This light combines a main led with a built in diffusor that has 19 leds. This creates a "two-in-one" light! Like almost all Eagtacs, you can choose between a coolwhite or a neutralwhite version. I chose the neutral white to try, that local dealer Nkon sent me, thanks for that! So, let's see what this special light offers!

P25CL2, interesting dual-light
5k1qf4.jpg

5spht.jpg

powered by one XM-L2 T6 and 19 "3014" LEDS
2zgrm7o.jpg

Before we have a closer look, first the specifications, given by manufacturer:

LED:

* CREE XM-L2 Neutral White T6 LED + Flood LED Array (N.W.)

Output / Runtime:

* CREE XM-L2 T6 LED

* ANSI FL-14​ lumen: 820

3014 LED array

* LED lumen: 475 ()Neutral White)

Four brightness levels (SPOT only)
o ANSI FL-1 lumen: 820/410/80/3
o Runtime:
1.5/3.5/20/200+ hours (1x18650)6​
0.8/2/10/130+ hours (2xCR123A)

Four brightness levels (Flood only)

o Led lumen: 520/205/40/3
o Runtime:
3.5/10/40/200+ hours (1x18650)6​
2/6/25/130+ hours (2xCR123A)

Four brightness levels (SPOT + Flood)

o Spot Led lumen: 660/270/55/3
o Diffuser Led lumen: 350/140/22/2
o Runtime:
1.6/4.5/23/200+ hours (1x18650)6​
1/2.7/15/130+ hours (2xCR123A)

Other features:

* LED direct soldering on copper for maximum heatsink ability
* User replaceable glass lens
* Battery reverse polarity protection
* Ultra low internal resistance phosphor bronze springs (silver coated)
* Spring loaded positive and negative terminal

Unboxing:

Fortunately no blister, the P25LC2 comes in a carton. Eagtac uses this box for other lights too, because the displayed light at it is not the P25LC2. In the box we find besides the light also a holster, lanyard, battery holder for 2 x CR123A, 2 spare O-rings, user manual, a warranty card/leaflet. So this is all you need, only thing that's missing is a battery…but that's not surprising..

this no-nonsense box…
msgis9.jpg

contents the light, holster, lanyard, battery spacer, spare o-rings, user manual and leaflet
usjk9.jpg

some output/runtime specs at the side of the box
10gcydl.jpg

Impressions:

First thing I noticed, was the deep black color and the nice laser engraving of this one. It's a lightweight, the use material is quite thin. It looks ok, but if it will last for years…time will tell :) The light has three parts: the head, the tube and the tailcap. Probably you can change the head to another of the P-series. There's a handy, sturdy clip added on the tube, but the plastic ring on the tailcap doesn't look like that. The reflector is clean, the led well-centered. Anodizing and finishing are ok. The threads are well machined, they run smoothly. I've lubed the threads by myself, couldn't find so much grease on it. Overall, this light looks ok. Scroll down for some impression pictures..

P25CL2: compact all-rounder
5vnn83.jpg

fm4zr6.jpg

in deep-black colour
2dtt0ly.jpg

combines a diffusor head with spotlight
2059uv6.jpg

nice engraving and knurling
27zxb37.jpg

all modes controlled by turning the lights head
w8u8zm.jpg

sturdy clip added
20jmn45.jpg

the tailcap with the plastic lanyard ring
33kruwk.jpg

the lanyard attached
ftii4o.jpg

the three parts and the recommended cell
348gc3k.jpg

a look into the head
2gugwzq.jpg

the tube's head
1h59xf.jpg

and the tailcap
142se2s.jpg

quality holster included
1zxprt2.jpg

compact ….
207w55j.jpg

and complete: a handy EDC-light!
dhaion.jpg

can tailstand but: only when clicky is on and on a real flat surface. Eagtac provides a tailcapstand ring to solve this
2346sp.jpg

User interface:

Use the tail clicky for on/off and twist the head for mode selecting. That's all. To be honest, this is my first Eagtac, and maybe because of that I really had to get used by this interface. But after some weeks, for me it works fine. It's really a thought out concept, but not the best I've ever seen: Personally, I prefer a button for mode selecting. It's not easy to control this light with one hand.

Modes:

Never had such a compact light with this bunch of modes! It's very complete! Press the clicky for on/off and momentary. You can choose out of: Spot / Diffusor / Spot + Diffusor. All this versions have 4 output modes: Turbo / High / Mid Low. Cycle through this modes by twisting the lights head. When the head is tightened, you have Turbo, if you lose you'll get High and Medium. The low mode is hidden: Activate it by a quick turn out of Medium mode to High and back. After some exercise, it works! This quick turn (and back) is also needed to choose the right output mode: out of Mid to Turbo and back to get: Spot / Diffusor / Spot + Diffusor, and out of Turbo to Mid and back to get the 7! special modes: Strobe / Various Strobe / Quick Flash / Various Flash / SOS / Slow SOS / Beacon. There no memory for the special modes, so if you want beacon-mode, you've to turn 7 times (and back J) When I count right, you have total 33 modes! I think we don't need them every day, but a flashaholic will like this! You really need some exercise to handle this allrounder, but after a few weeks it won't be a problem anymore.

Tint:

I chose the neutral white XM-L T6 version, and it has a real warm tint. To show the tint, I've compared this to a XM-L2 and a MT-G2 light. As you can see, MT-G2 is more neutral.

XM-L T6 against XM-L2 and MT-G2
jijsyr.jpg

Size comparison:

The P25LC2 compared to some competitors in the same lumen class: the Lumintop SD20 and the Fenix E35UE.

CR123A , 18650, Lumintop SD20, Eagtac P25LC2 and Fenix E35UE
2rgonj6.jpg

Lumintop SD20, Eagtac P25LC2 and Fenix E35UE
nnwuia.jpg

2rp2wt5.jpg

2 x XM-L2 against XM-L T6
a0xz5i.jpg

the tails
21owolu.jpg

Beamshots:

The P25LC2 (Spot mode) has a nice, mixed beam, ideal for everyday use. A big hotspot, a clear corona and enough spill.
I'll show you the light's output modes. First projected on a white wall. We'll start with the light at spot mode, because in that mode it reaches the highest output. After that, some animated pictures of the diffusor and the spot + diffusor mode. Distance to the wall about 0,75 meters.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 1/125 sec, F/2.7
24g0swk.jpg

2vn515i.jpg

5ysyag.jpg

53r448.jpg

animation
1smusp.jpg

animation of the diffusor/flood modes
104ht7d.jpg

animation of the spot+diffusor modes
2z8vssp.jpg

And now, the outdoor shots. Clearly to see here, is the warm ,yellow/green tint.
Also here at first the light at spot mode, to show the maximum distance it will reach. After that, some animation pictures of the flood mode; and the spot + flood compared to spot mode.

Camera settings: ISO100, WB daylight, 4.0 sec, F/2.7
29vfqll.jpg

2jb1uky.jpg

ifwwso.jpg

1z2lmir.jpg

animation picture
34gpx12.jpg

animation of the diffuser/flood modes
2uxuxy8.jpg

animation of the spot + diffusor against the spot mode
2mwsef7.jpg

A comparison with some competitors:

against the Lumintops EDC21 and SD20
538xsj.jpg

against the Fenix E35UE
wwg12p.jpg

Conclusion:

The P25LC2 is a lightweight, very complete EDC-light. Well suited for camping, bed reading, walking the dog or in your car (because of the special modes) Never had a light that has so much special modes, but maybe some users would prefer some instant modes instead of these. The build quality is not that heavy and the lanyard ring doesn't look sturdy. Time will tell… It's hard to operate this light with one hand, because you've to twist the head. I had to get used by the interface, but after some weeks I can control this light without problems.
Overall: this is a handy light for those who are looking for a complete all-rounder. It's also a must-have for flashaholics because of the unique concept and the fun factor. I've carried it often in my coat pocket last weeks, it will suffice in most situations. I strongly recommend to purchase the tailcapring too: Without that it's hard to use the diffusor mode for what it is made for.

Hint: if you use code ET10%off_march you'll get a discount on Eagtac lights at Nkon!

Thanks to local dealer Nkon for the opportunity to test this light!

288xlpg.jpg

Last edited:

Lucky Duck

Enlightened
Fantastic review,thanx! I have just ordered the non diffuser version of this light.

gsteve

Enlightened
nice spin on everyones rehash of the the pd35. I ordered one . Thanks for the review.

UnderPar

Enlightened
Looking at the comparison pics, its only the P25LC2 that is glaring even looking at it from behind. Did you experience this when doing the tests and shots?

kj75

Enlightened
Looking at the comparison pics, its only the P25LC2 that is glaring even looking at it from behind. Did you experience this when doing the tests and shots?

It's because of the diffusor, that emits also when it's in spot mode. Because of the longer camera shuttertime it seems more than it is :)

newbie66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the great review! The one thing I don't quite like is the twist function. I have the GX25A3 and a Nitecore MT21A and they both have flickering issues if the threads are kinda dirty. The GX25A3 is especially sensitive.

UnderPar

Enlightened
It's because of the diffusor, that emits also when it's in spot mode. Because of the longer camera shuttertime it seems more than it is :)

Yup. That is actually the culprit. But is it really glaring especially if you're just holding it?

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
You mean, a kind of glow in the dark? No, it isn't. But you have also (a bit) diffusor light, also when only spot mode used.

Hi kj75, great review, the one thing keeping me from buying this light is how much "glow" is emitted on spot mode. Is it distracting, is it so bright that it bothers night vision? Could you elaborate on how bright the the diffuser area glows on spot mode?

Thanks.

kj75

Enlightened
Hi kj75, great review, the one thing keeping me from buying this light is how much "glow" is emitted on spot mode. Is it distracting, is it so bright that it bothers night vision? Could you elaborate on how bright the the diffuser area glows on spot mode?

Thanks.

For me, it isn't distracting, but there's always some diffused light in spot mode. To show how it looks in "real-life", have a look at the wallshots in the review.

gclyn

Newly Enlightened
Ok...just ordered the P25LC2 diffuser from Going Gear. Let's hope I love it....if not, will return it for the P25LC2 non-diffuser.

NiMHi

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to bring up this old topic, but I'm thinking about buying this light.

The light looks to have received an update, according to nkon sale page:
Ouput:Cree XM-L2 U4 Cool White
Led Lumen: 1317
ANSI FL-1 lumen: 1008
3014 LED array:
Led Lumen: 520 (cool white)

Beam distance: 190 meter

Can I use flat top 18650 batteries with this light?

Last edited: