Tri-EDC pills and Tri-EDC Conversion pills for XML/SST-50 EDC lights

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tri Conversion pills for Mac's XML/SST-50 EDC lights

any interest in something like this anymore?

extremescramble was heading down this path, but with shipping issues bowed out...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?383317-Mac-s-Tri-EDC-Light-Engines/page2

anyway, I've got the measurements to make this pills, and need to talk to my friend about them, but wanting to know if there's any interest in it really...

attachment.php

Last edited:

Icebear

Newly Enlightened
I would be in for 1 pill for tri edc...maybe more depending on price...

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, the concept and dimensions are good, so it's feasible.
Here's my EDC-SST50 with a triple XP-L with 3.04 Amp driver with L-M-H.
I just used some copper washers, thermal paste, and soldered together to modify an original triple pill to make the new conversion pill. I still haven't had a chance to meet up with my buddy though.

triple-conversion.jpg

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, really cool! My SST-50 is dreaming to become a triple XP-L! Great work Mcbrat, looking forward to see progress on this awesome project

yeah, I really liked the tint of the SST-50 but it had been modified to direct drive, was only pulling 2 amps and it still seemed dim. It probably needs burn in time (and body bored to fit 18350). I think this SST-50 may have been a 1.4 amp model to start with.

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've got some interest - I've got a Ti 2.8A 4500K SST-50 that I bought from Mac.

The only unfortunate thing is that it's an early one so it's 16340 only, it's not cheap getting Ti bored to 18350.

You might check to see if the tube swaps with other Macs, if you have more recent ones.

IIRC, my Macs tubes will interchange and still work fine, and I think this includes a 16340 tube and an 18350 tube ... :thinking:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might check to see if the tube swaps with other Macs, if you have more recent ones.

IIRC, my Macs tubes will interchange and still work fine, and I think this includes a 16340 tube and an 18350 tube ... :thinking:

it should. my 16340 SST-50 interchanges with all, though I do have an issue of my Copper Knurly head will not thread onto the Ti Knurly body. both knurlys are 18350.

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Wow! I just saw this! Great idea McBrat! That's a first!

What a great platform. Triple performance with SST50 form factor.

bubble

Enlightened
How many people do you need to see to get off the ground this project?
And so far how many have expressed an interest?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Tri Conversion pills for Mac's XML/SST-50 EDC lights

Lots needed. :) I've got about 10 interested, I figured I would get 20 to get moving, but I think to make it a low enough price per piece, may need 200. I've talked to 2 people already about making them, but still have a couple more to talk to...