Wildlife camera recommendations

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Anyone have a recommendation for a basic wildlife camera with IR LED flash and 5-6 megapixels that has good battery life? I have an older camera that goes through 6v lantern batteries like crazy, so it's time to upgrade.

BTW I'm an animal lover, not a hunter, so this is just for checking out nocturnal critters in our backyard. :)

timbo114

Enlightened
I use a Moultrie 150 Panorama 8MP, 255 days of battery life with 6x Energizer Lithium AA cells in "C" Eneloop sleeves.
Here's a sample pic ...

MFDC0658_zpsbrtsl945.jpg

Moultrie A5 and A8 units are more cost effective, and use only 4 "C" cells instead of 6.

Last edited:

Throwjunkie

Enlightened
I also use the Moultrie fantastic cameras The only issues I have had with mine are when I face then into the suns direct rays meaning pointing them east or west, But that's an issues with pretty much all cameras like this. Unfortunately the trails I set up on run these directions and I want the longest coverage time I can get so I capture the animal in whole if they are just waling through the area (not at a feeder) A good trick it to mount the camera a little higher then normal and face it on a downward angle by putting a small Twig 1/2 -1 full inch dia behind the top of the camera to angle it downward. I have also fashioned small sun shades on some camera just above the lense these can me bade from PVC pipe cut on an angle and epoxied to the camera with 5 min. epoxy

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
I have one that takes a bunch of D cells. No good in cold weather. I suppose I should get some sleeves and use AA lithium primaries? Better yet invest in a wall wart for it... Hmmm...