Knife vs Multi-tool perception

Berneck1

Enlightened
I was wondering if people carry a multi-tool because it's just "easier."

I'll explain. I have at times carried a folding blade with me. I like to have a knife with me. I find uses for it all the time, around the house, at work, etc. It always comes in handy. Self-defense is the last thing I think about.

However, when I take out my knife (to use for some task, not brandishing it) I get reactions from benign to outright astonishment that I have some sort of "weapon" on me. This reaction is usually more from women than men, but there are some men who seem visually uneasy about it, also.

I finally switched to a Skeletool CX and the reactions are FAR less extreme, especially when I show the other tools. In fact, many people ask where they could get one!

For all intents and purposes it's the exact same thing, but somehow perceived as nefarious without the tools. I even notice this with security personnel when I need to go through a metal detector or something. Same thing - the knife is frowned upon, the multi-tool always gets the nod.

Curious if others have experienced this...

Btw: I actually like carrying the Skeletool now instead of a knife. It does have more utility...

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

patoriku

Newly Enlightened
It's more due to non knife user perception than anything else. When you pull a knife out, most will see it as a means of cutting/stabbing and that appears as threatening especially if it's a medium to large folder. A multi tool usually doesn't have a big blade on it and therefore is less of a proposed threat.

The other thing to consider is that unless you have a sheath on your belt, you're pulling out a knife from a concealed location whereas most mulit tools are too big to pocket carry.

JMHO

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its just like your grand pa's old wooden stock .223 hunting rifle vs a all black, tactical loaded, AR-15. Both are lethal. But when you are moving them around in your trunk at the Mall to make room for your wifes shopping bags it can make a visual difference to the uninformed.

Berneck1

Enlightened
Its just like your grand pa's old wooden stock .223 hunting rifle vs a all black, tactical loaded, AR-15. Both are lethal. But when you are moving them around in your trunk at the Mall to make room for your wifes shopping bags it can make a visual difference to the uninformed.

Yeah, it's all perception.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Dipti13

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if people carry a multi-tool because it's just "easier."

I'll explain. I have at times carried a folding blade with me. I like to have a knife with me. I find uses for it all the time, around the house, at work, etc. It always comes in handy. Self-defense is the last thing I think about.

However, when I take out my knife (to use for some task, not brandishing it) I get reactions from benign to outright astonishment that I have some sort of "weapon" on me. This reaction is usually more from women than men, but there are some men who seem visually uneasy about it, also.

I finally switched to a Skeletool CX and the reactions are FAR less extreme, especially when I show the other tools. In fact, many people ask where they could get one!

For all intents and purposes it's the exact same thing, but somehow perceived as nefarious without the tools. I even notice this with security personnel when I need to go through a metal detector or something. Same thing - the knife is frowned upon, the multi-tool always gets the nod.

Curious if others have experienced this...

Btw: I actually like carrying the Skeletool now instead of a knife. It does have more utility...

If we compare both then its good to carry a multitool rather than carrying a knife. People will surely make distance from you if you are carrying a knife but its not in the case of any multi tool.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I use the serrated blade on my Leatherman for duties it's more suited for and the regular blade for things I don't want to subject my regular knife to, but I always have a knife on me as well as my Leatherman which I have mostly for the pliers and drivers.

Got to have both.

thedoc007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a knife, because I find uses for it pretty regularly. I have a nice multi-tool, but the extra bulk (to me) is not worth it - it sits at home. I wouldn't have any use for all the other stuff, and the blades on multi-tools are nowhere near as good as a dedicated knife.

If other people are concerned about it, that is too bad for them. I'm not going to stop carrying a knife just because of someone else's perception. I use it as a tool - if they can't understand that, oh well.

Swamplite

Newly Enlightened
I could care less about what people think about the knife I carry but my Swiss Army knife has never raised any concerns that I know of.I also have several scary looking tactical lock blades and Leatherman multi tools but the good old Victoronix knife is to me the best of both worlds for my edc.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I find the Skeletool isn't too heavy considering its size.

thomas_sti_red

Newly Enlightened
Same here. I always carry a folding knife (even though its illegal here). But depending on who's around I take out my SAK because of how this is perceived much less aggressive.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
There are more things in play than just the presence of a knife when it comes to how people will perceive them, most important among them the way in which the knife is presented. Some knives just look aggressive and others don't but when someone brandishes a knife in a showy manner and makes sure to flip the blade out in front of them to show off it can't help but seem meant for purposes of intimidation.

Double Barrel

Enlightened
It's a total shame that one has to even worry about what we carry around for EDC use.
I EDC an ESEE Junglas (OAL 16.5 inch) for work. You should see the looks I get after work at the gas station or restaurant...or wherever. They run and grab their children! It's like your an outlaw for having a tool. I got frustrated and started packing inside the waistband. Now I look like a peg leg pirate walking around. I'm real short and the blade hits before my foot does. Clink, clink...Arrrrr, the dilemma!

.edit: I agree with the perception concept. I also pack a leatherman. It doesn't get a second look.

Last edited:

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is unspeakably ignorant the perception some people have of knives. They are, IMO, the oldest, most meaningful contributing factor to civilization itself than any other implement developed by man.

( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oldowan )

I simply don't care what reactions I get. Unfortunately I see it every time it happens as situational awareness is the single most important factor and most overlooked, in keeping yourself safe. ( Another concept the "knife lookers" aren't evolved enough to understand. ) It's insulting, irritating, and not worth consideration. Not to say you shouldn't practice common sense.

Like George Carlin said, "Think of how dumb the average person is. Now think that half of them are dumber than that!"

Last edited:

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Multi-tools are definitely seen as more acceptable by sheeple than large folders. I've been EDCing Spyderco Enduras for longer than I can remember. They have caused reactions from co-workers (business casual corporate environment) on quite a few occasions, but never what I'd consider extreme. I'd take it from my pocket, open it up, they'd make a big knife comment, I'd cut what needs cutting, fold the blade, put it back into my pocket...end of discussion.

I always have a Leatherman in my laptop bag, but basically never use the blades since in most instances a half serrated Endura works far better, and the cutting would be done with the Spyderco before I even had the Leatherman pouch in my hand.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
Swisstool works better than a knife for me. I have carried for many years without the problems of a knife, its more usefull to. I like it more than any other multitool.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've even had weird reactions to my Leatherman Surge EDC, but the reasons posted in this thread are why I carry that instead of a dedicated folder most of the time. I just want to minimize any annoying conversations, but maybe I should change my attitude as well.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP, IDK but I believe it's typically a combination of factors that make others uneasy when a knife comes out. The environment, the type of knife, the individual with said knife, ect. Every time my 'radar' went up upon seeing a knife on an individual it had nothing to do with the knife but rather the person possessing it. With that said there are some who simply see a knife on a person as a weapon and nothing more and being you can't control how another person thinks or feels there's nothing you can do about it other then expect it at some point. I suspect these people would be more comfortable with a multi-tool being possessed/displayed.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
OP, IDK but I believe it's typically a combination of factors that make others uneasy when a knife comes out. The environment, the type of knife, the individual with said knife, etc. Every time my 'radar' went up upon seeing a knife on an individual it had nothing to do with the knife but rather the person possessing it. With that said there are some who simply see a knife on a person as a weapon and nothing more and being you can't control how another person thinks or feels there's nothing you can do about it other then expect it at some point. I suspect these people would be more comfortable with a multi-tool being possessed/displayed.
Best and most eloquently worded post in the thread so far.

I tried to suggest some of these points earlier but not nearly as well as you have here and I would say that as one who always has either a 3.5
"/4" folder and sometimes a Cold Steel Trailmaster (9.5" blade) that I have had the same feelings inaccurately pointed towards people uncomfortable at the sight of some knives. Can't know for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if some of the instances written about actually are precipitated by the person holding the knife than the knife itself.

I've never even noticed anyone unnerved when I was carrying the Trailmaster, which I attribute to the fact that I never brandish my knives or act in a manner that would give anyone any reason to be intimidated.

Thanks again for the great post PAS.