Philips LED "Basic Bulb": so cheap they sell them in pairs

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
The consumer market seems to very much prefer lowest-possible-initial cost over almost every other factor.

This is probably the definitive bulb. With low power factor and non-dimmable attributes the engineers were really able to squeeze costs.

Old-school card board box packaging, a bulb like shape, and even very little mentioned of the word "LED".

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wait until they pay you to take LED bulbs.
Of course there will be built in microphone(s) and WiFi so everything you say will be sent to big brother

Qship1996

Enlightened
Just wait until they pay you to take LED bulbs.
Of course there will be built in microphone(s) and WiFi so everything you say will be sent to big brother

Great article in this months consumers reports magazine on this exact topic of the pitfalls of "connected" appliances in our homes!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank you for this review. I purchased a pair of these the other day and I was considering tearing one down but you've saved me the trouble.

I'm going to have to hook up a solar cell to my 'scope for a hum test. I tried the simpler headphones-connected-to-solar-cell method and heard lots more hum than I did on a different comparison bulb (also Philips) but this method is somewhat subjective. Or I simply had a bad bulb. We'll see.

tgferg67

Newly Enlightened
It seems the non-dimmable Utilitech bulbs at Lowes have a new lowered price at $2.48 in reaction to these new Philips bulbs.

TheIntruder

Newly Enlightened
Stopped by Home Despot today and noticed there are now 100W versions of the "Basic" bulb. 1500lm, 2700 or 5000K, $8.97/9.97.

Anyone try them out yet? I've found the 60W version to be fine, especially at the intro price point, and compared to the CFLs they replaced. Also have one in an old service drop light that is much better than hot and dim rough service bulbs, and the fragile CFLs I've used in it.

BLH

Newly Enlightened
I got a four pack of the 100 watt version. By a Home Depot web order before they where in the local stores. Shipped directly from a Philips warehouse.
I have one in use now. In a stairway to my cellar. I am very satisfied with it in the short time it has been in use.

BillSWPA

Enlightened
It seems the non-dimmable Utilitech bulbs at Lowes have a new lowered price at $2.48 in reaction to these new Philips bulbs.

The first LED bulbs I bought were Utilitech, and I had mixed results with them. Some continue to do just fine, others died very, very prematurely. Lately I am buying Cree and Sylvania with better results.

markr6

Flashaholic
I got a four pack of the 100 watt version. By a Home Depot web order before they where in the local stores. Shipped directly from a Philips warehouse.
I have one in use now. In a stairway to my cellar. I am very satisfied with it in the short time it has been in use.

I have 6 fixtures in my basement, so I'm tempted to try these. Just wish I could get a 3500 or 4000K to match the CFLs down there now.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I have 7 of the 100W eq. bulbs @ 2700k (#455675). I decided to go cheap for now until I can buy variable CCT bulbs for a reasonable price. They were $8.97 each.

All work great. They have even light distribution and surprisingly less hum than my Philips 424382 / 429258 bulbs (60W eq). This is despite the apparent lack of potting compound. I can only hear them when my ear is almost touching the bulb.

120Hz flicker as revealed by my phone camera is roughly on par with a 100W incandescent and the older 451906.

Anders Hoveland

Enlightened
Philips LED "Basic Bulb": so cheap they sell them in pairs
The 2-pack is being sold for only $5. That's only $2.50 per LED bulb!

For something so cheap, this LED bulb puts out a surprising amount of light. It really is a 60 Watt equivalent and provides enough light for a small room.
There is no flicker, but the bulbs do give off an audible buzzing sound, unfortunately. The sound is not extremely loud, but it is very audible across a small room when everything else is completely quiet.

poiihy

Enlightened
Just today I put a (plastic) shade on a lamp with a basic bulb. Before the bulb was silent and only audible when listening close by. Now, the shade amplifies the sound and it is really audible. I can hear it right now. :tired:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did Philips skip over the 75 watt size?
They had the 'alien eye' [remote phosphor], then 'alien eye' in silver/white. Never had the tulip/trumpet form factor. Had the toilet brush/ping pong paddle.
So, maybe they will do it later...

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I was at Home Depot to buy a couple 75W eq. Cree bulbs for an outdoor application next to the garage door. There were 6500k (?!) 100W eq. CFLs installed there when I moved in. One was shattered... needless to say I let that one air out for a while before I returned to clean up the mess.

I noticed that these new 60W and 100W equivalent Philips bulbs have no restriction against enclosed fixtures stated on the package. I was surprised by that fact and decided to get two of the 100W eq. Philips model instead. They're quite a bit cheaper here than the dimmer Cree bulbs and only use one more watt.

They're on a photosensor and therefore on all night. I did some quick math and expect them to last about 3 years in this application. Over that time the energy savings over the CFLs will pay for the bulbs and a little more.

Last edited:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I noticed that these new 60W and 100W equivalent Philips bulbs have no restriction against enclosed fixtures stated on the package. I was surprised by that fact and decided to get two of the 100W eq. Philips model instead.

I have one of the 100W equivalents sitting here on my desk. You're correct, there is no warning on the package about enclosed fixtures, however there is a warning on the lamp itself - "Not for use in totally enclosed luminaires." This is unfair to leave this warning off of the packaging, and it's probably even questionable from a legal standpoint.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I have one of the 100W equivalents sitting here on my desk. You're correct, there is no warning on the package about enclosed fixtures, however there is a warning on the lamp itself - "Not for use in totally enclosed luminaires." This is unfair to leave this warning off of the packaging, and it's probably even questionable from a legal standpoint.

Very, very sneaky. They even claim "general purpose" on the front of the box and have nothing at all even hinting of this restriction. The Home Depot online listing even states "Use in table or floor lamps, or anywhere traditional light bulbs are used".

Perhaps they changed their mind after some bulbs were made but before they printed the boxes?

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Perhaps they changed their mind after some bulbs were made but before they printed the boxes?

Possibly, but that's their problem, not the customer's. The only hint of a restriction that's on the outside package is the phrase "Only install in operating environments between -4F and +113F (-20C and +45C)," but this really means ambient temperature, not the heat buildup from an enclosed fixture.

markr6

Flashaholic
I won't be a buyer on these, but at this price it seems like a use 'em and abuse 'em scenario...see what happens.