Kitchen Knives Experiences

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Was wondering what other members use for their kitchen cutlery, what they thought of them, and would they recommend them or purchase them again.

I've been using Henckles 5 Star Series for about 18 years now and while I like them I would probably look for something better if I was going to buy a new set. I like how easy they are to sharpen and the edge I can get on them. I like that they are robust and rust has never been an issue even when I wasn't very kind to them. And I like the way they feel in my hands. I would like if they held their edge better, I frequently touch them up to maintain the edge even after light use and while I don't mind I'd much prefer a stronger edge. I don't like that they don't always cut very well despite being very sharp. I've thinned out the metal behind the edge to help but wedging and snapping is still an issue with certain foods like carrots and squash (I'm thinking this is due to the knife's grind and perhaps a thinner ground knife would suit me better). I've read the newer Pro Series is thinner in overall grind, wonder if that makes wedging and snapping less of an issue. Overall I'd say they're good but not excellent (IMO).

Last edited:

Dipti13

Newly Enlightened
I am using cold steel kitchen knives set from last 2 years and these are very good If I talk about my experience. Although now looking to sharpen their blades soon.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have been using the Ontario cutlery since the 1960s. I used French's mustard to produce a patina/rust proofing since acquiring the knives.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to family members not respecting my kitchen tools, I have a cheap Amazon Hampton Forge Tomodachi "titanium" knife set. $29.99
They work, come sharp as all get out, are easy to clean and resharpen when family damages them. The last knife set I had got the disposal treatment. Totally trashed 2 of them.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have the Henkels also, and I notice the same thing. They can be sharp but not sharp enough for some tasks.

Looking back, I probably would have not bought a set. I would probably buy individual knives that fit each task better. I really only use two or three knives. Also, if you go into any restaurant, they aren't using any kind of high-end knives or pans, and they do fine.

For the most part, the high-end kitchen knives are there to look good and match. I don't really care about that anymore. Some like to have sets, but my next knives will probably be a mix of different brands.

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you go into any restaurant, they aren't using any kind of high-end knives or pans, and they do fine.

I was told that most restaurants, at least here in NYC, rent almost everything including their knives from restaurant suppliers. The supplier maintains the knives for the kitchen, sharpening them, or replacing them as needed.

ForrestChump

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig Japanese Cutlery. Love the style of the blades and the exotic steel choices. Lots of art in those blades.

That said, Spyderco has their own cutlery line. May not be so fancy, but Im sure fit and finish are great and they're priced right. Might be worth a look.

desmobob

Enlightened
Most kitchen knives (even the pricey ones) are soft stainless steel. Using old-school carbon blades like the Old Hickory brand from Ontario will give better performance, but require some extra care to keep them from rusting. And they ain't as pretty to look at... ;)

Take it easy,
Bob

archimedes

Flashaholic
I've used quite a variety of kitchen knives, and I find the Shun Classic Pro line to be fantastic (although expensive).

In general, I think spending the same amount of money on just one or two top quality general purpose "chefs knife" has more value than buying a huge set of various cutlery (with many pieces, of lesser quality).

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used quite a variety of kitchen knives, and I find the Shun Classic Pro line to be fantastic (although expensive).

In general, I think spending the same amount of money on just one or two top quality general purpose "chefs knife" has more value than buying a huge set of various cutlery (with many pieces, of lesser quality).

I agree. My set consists of four, a chef, a paring, a slicer, and a serrated bread knife. Doing it over I'd skip the slicer and look for a thinner chefs and I'd get a cheaper bread knife as any serrated knife works on crusty bread.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have the 5 stars, but only three of them. Chef's, paring, and serrated slicer. Always hand washed, always touched-up on a ceramic rod. I'm sure there are much better knives out there, but I love the feel of these.
I have a few cuisinart branded SS santokus, and a few cheaper Henkels to round out my set, and they all get used frequently.
if I had to replace them, I'd probably go Japanese, or do the cheap thing and get Victorinox, which get fantastic reviews.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast

I like those. Too bad I can't own them with out them getting destroyed. I may get their shears. Those I can use and keep away from everyone.

MrJino

Enlightened
I used to have a wustof for my kitchen in my apartment, plenty o knife for many tasks, especially with a pairing knife.

I'm a chef by trade, i only use japanese knives for their carbon and excellent blade geometry, also handles are superb.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a wustof for my kitchen in my apartment, plenty o knife for many tasks, especially with a pairing knife.

I'm a chef by trade, i only use japanese knives for their carbon and excellent blade geometry, also handles are superb.

Between the Wustofs and the Japanese knives, when you refer to the blades geometry are you referring to the overall thickness/thinness of the grind or something else?

MrJino

Enlightened
Both thinness and The tapering from spine to edge is different. I'm guessing the harder steel they use allows for thinner blades and edges.
They cost more, but when you're using a knife nearly 10 hours a day, it makes sense.

Berneck1

Enlightened
I have been using some Victorinox kitchen knives which are good enough for my modular kitchen.

The Victorinox knives always get good reviews. The cost is a huge plus also. They are reasonably priced.

MrJino

Enlightened
I wanna purchase this chef knife but haven't seen a proper review for this knife :(

http://www.aplusrstore.com/product/1499/furtif-evercut-knives

Anyone of you guys tried this knife?

I could never purchase a knife like that...

IMO, wustof, victorinox, Henkel are all good knives for basic home chefs. I would not go cheap, and never buy exotic material for blades like ceramic or what have you.

Stainless is good for durable use, easy to sharpen.
Carbon is good for screaming sharp edges and long edge retention, Harder steel so harder to sharpen.

bladesmith3

Enlightened
I still use the 12" and 10" Sabatier chef knifes that my grandmother used before I was born and I am on social security. LOL.. yes carbon steel. yes they blackened and stained over the years but I would never polish them. BTW.. I was/am a top grad of the culinary institute of America NY.

MrJino

Enlightened
Those old Sabatier knives are awesome, they have history and to be able to use one after a long time, shows craftsmanship.
I think their geometry is similar to japanese knives where there isn't much belly in the profile.