• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Eiger Trio

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the output from the Ultra with AAA!

peak-eiger-trio.jpg

mercurialpissings

Newly Enlightened
Great to know. I have the Eiger Cu in the middle and contemplating on the Ultra. My Eiger is quite floody even with the narrow optic option. I'd like a bigger hot-spot. How'd the Ultra in this regard? Which emitter did you choose?

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
the Ultra has a more defined hotspot and throws a ton better. amazed at how much light comes out of the Duracell that it came with... the spill is a bit odd. I thought maybe it was an XPL with the flat edges on the dome, and that affected how it came through the TIR, but I don't remember what the newsletter said the emitter would be. the web page says XP-G and driven as same power level as Eiger. both mine were cool tint, but the Ultra is way brighter.

and the knurling is more aggressive on the Ultra, which I like too...

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't usually like mules, but this one is pretty decent. its direct drive with QTC, so it can get pretty bright with 10440...

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great to know. I have the Eiger Cu in the middle and contemplating on the Ultra. My Eiger is quite floody even with the narrow optic option. I'd like a bigger hot-spot. How'd the Ultra in this regard? Which emitter did you choose?

the Ultra has a more defined hotspot and throws a ton better. amazed at how much light comes out of the Duracell that it came with... the spill is a bit odd. I thought maybe it was an XPL with the flat edges on the dome, and that affected how it came through the TIR, but I don't remember what the newsletter said the emitter would be. the web page says XP-G and driven as same power level as Eiger. both mine were cool tint, but the Ultra is way brighter.

and the knurling is more aggressive on the Ultra, which I like too...

well, after a request on a comparison (to Maratac Rev3) with fresh eneloops, I prefer the Eiger Ultra for a couple of reasons. the variability of the output with the QTC, and the tint. when I was informally comparing before, I had NiMh in the Maratac, and an Alkaleak in the Eiger Ultra, and just the jump from 1.2V to 1.5V was making a difference. With them at the same level, there was less of a perceived difference.

wall shots
Maratac Rev3 left, Eiger Ultra right
maratac-eiger-ultra-rs.jpg

Maratac
Maratac-rev3-wall-rs.jpg

Eiger Ultra
peak-eiger-ultra-wall-rs.jpg

Maratac at 25 feet
Maratac-rev3-25-rs.jpg

Eiger Ultra at 25 feet
peak-eiger-ultra-25-rs.jpg

Last edited:

mercurialpissings

Newly Enlightened
Awesome comparison. Thanks, Mick. Yep, also what I've observed about the green tint of the Maratac's emitter. Looks like the Eiger has a bigger and more defined hotspot while the Rev3 has a slightly bigger spill (the wall's lines and the boxes @ 25 feet). Not big differences on those areas but the tint of the Eiger is much easier on the eyes. So imho I'm gonna love the Eiger better for EDC. And that thing is bomb proof. Thanks again.