• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Peak Eiger without QTC?

recDNA

Flashaholic
Is there a single mode high only Peak Eiger available? No QTC. Works with AAA alkaline producing max output without destroying battery. Run time not important. Thanks.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I didn't see that option i n Peak website. I will check Overready. Thanks!

RobynS

Newly Enlightened
Is there a single mode high only Peak Eiger available? No QTC. Works with AAA alkaline producing max output without destroying battery. Run time not important. Thanks.

We can make any light without the QTC .. there is a comment section in the order process .. make a note that you would like it Non QTC or contact me directly at [email protected] .. we will take care of it.

Best,

Robyn

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
We can make any light without the QTC .. there is a comment section in the order process .. make a note that you would like it Non QTC or contact me directly at [email protected] .. we will take care of it.

Best,

Robyn
Or just have me take one apart for you,I seem to be able to kill the QTC with no prior training required!

It seems to me that if you simply remove the QTC material then it will just be a single level full output at whatever the head is designed for?
Mine sure is that way now that I have lost the QTC blob.

I still can not understand why this QTC thing is being made to seem so complicated?

I can not get a direct answer from anyone that sells the lights about simply getting another QTC piece for the one that I lost?

Why exactly do I need to send the light in to replace a tiny rubber blob?

It sure came out easily enough on its own but Robyn told me it might need machining somehow to replace it,ANYONE?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think she would like you to send in the battery carrier because:

you had trouble before hand
they want to make sure the QTC pill fits properly

Last edited:

mcbrat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or just have me take one apart for you,I seem to be able to kill the QTC with no prior training required!

It seems to me that if you simply remove the QTC material then it will just be a single level full output at whatever the head is designed for?
Mine sure is that way now that I have lost the QTC blob.

I still can not understand why this QTC thing is being made to seem so complicated?

I can not get a direct answer from anyone that sells the lights about simply getting another QTC piece for the one that I lost?

Why exactly do I need to send the light in to replace a tiny rubber blob?

It sure came out easily enough on its own but Robyn told me it might need machining somehow to replace it,ANYONE?

latest version of QTC may fit differently. my most recent body is a tad longer and it appears that the bore is slightly bigger perhaps for changes in how the pill is installed?

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think she would like you to send in the battery carrier because:

you had trouble before hand
they want to make sure the QTC pill fits properly

I did not have trouble beforehand.
The whole assembly came out when I tried to get a look at it so I could know how it went together for another light I am having trouble with.
The pill came apart and the QTC went missing in that process.
I want to be able to do this myself for many reasons and I am not ready to send both lights in for such a seemingly small issue.
I am a Technician and Hobbyist and do not want to have to rely on anyone to keep things going if possible.

I have QTC material coming in that I found elsewhere and I will report back with the results.

recDNA

Flashaholic
What is the highest peak level number representing output that can safely be used with alkaline and lithium primary? In 219 B and XP-G2 neutral what would output of each be at that level? Is there a link showing the keychain model with momentary on plunger? Can that model still be attached to a keychain? If this is the wrong thread for these questions please forgive me and direct me to the right thread? Thanks so much.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not have trouble beforehand.
The whole assembly came out when I tried to get a look at it so I could know how it went together for another light I am having trouble with.
The pill came apart and the QTC went missing in that process.
I want to be able to do this myself for many reasons and I am not ready to send both lights in for such a seemingly small issue.
I am a Technician and Hobbyist and do not want to have to rely on anyone to keep things going if possible.

I have QTC material coming in that I found elsewhere and I will report back with the results.

i thought I remembered a thread where you said all you were getting reliably was high or off even before the pill came apart. I think it is in the QTC differences thread.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is the highest peak level number representing output that can safely be used with alkaline and lithium primary? In 219 B and XP-G2 neutral what would output of each be at that level? Is there a link showing the keychain model with momentary on plunger? Can that model still be attached to a keychain? If this is the wrong thread for these questions please forgive me and direct me to the right thread? Thanks so much.

I have or have had a few level 8 lights that I wouldn't hesitate to use Alkalines, or Li primaries in. If there was ever a light that will suffer minimal damage even if the battery leaks, it's a single level Peak.

gunga

Flashaholic
The levels are 0 to 8. All are safe, you just get varying runtimes. Technically when you use the momentary you can't attach it to a keychain. However, you can often use a clip under the momentary, so really, you could use a lanyard ring too. The Preon one is a bit wide (the hole) but should function and is cheap and easy to get.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have or have had a few level 8 lights that I wouldn't hesitate to use Alkalines, or Li primaries in. If there was ever a light that will suffer minimal damage even if the battery leaks, it's a single level Peak.
Do you know the amp draw of level 8 or approximate runtime on AAA? It's OK to use right until battery is dead?

I got a blank screen on the link 2 posts up.

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try to cut and paste the link, or just go to the site and look around. The data shown is for a Rebel LED, which is less efficient than the current XP-G or Nichia, but my guess would be a useable runtime of about 5 hours on Alkaline. This would be with greatly diminished brightness at the end. IIRC amp draw will change with voltage drop.
Robyn or Curt could probably provide a better answer. Email at [email protected].

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got the QTC that I had to order from Ebay and it took less time to install it than it is taking me know to type about it.
Works better than it ever has in the Logan where I lost it!

I am disappointed that I could never get a direct answer to my need to get replacement QTC from any of the suppliers that I tried and that includes the manufacturer and the seller from whom I got the light?

I am at a loss as to why the big hurdle just trying to get my light working again?

Anyway now I have extras and am going to try to make a few other lights variable now too!

Exciting!

gunga

Flashaholic
QTC is often sold in little squares, a few (3-4?) mm a side. Peak takes this square and punches out a circle, around 2 mm in diameter out. The circle piece is used in Eiger lights and the square with a hole in it is used in Logan, El cap, etc, lights.

The peak pill is 2 metal disks with a cavity in the middle for the QTC. The disks are held together with a teflon (?) washer, which holds the entire unit in the light. The pill is supposed to protect the QTC from excessive wear and tearing. I have found the peak QTC (tried 1.0, 2.0, and limited trial on 2.1) implementation to be mediocre. The QTC material still gets damaged, and the action degrades quickly.

Oh well, great in concept, not great in reality.

Last edited:

eclipsesharp

Newly Enlightened
QTC is often sold in little squares, a few (3-4?) mm a side. Peak takes this square and punches out a circle, around 2 mm in diameter out. The circle piece is used in Eiger lights and the square with a hole in it is used in Logan, El cap, etc, lights.

The peak pill is 2 metal disks with a cavity in the middle for the QTC. The disks are held together with a teflon (?) washer, which holds the entire unit in the light. The pill is supposed to protect the QTC from excessive wear and tearing. I have found the peak QTC (tried 1.0, 2.0, and limited trial on 2.1) implementation to be mediocre. The QTC material still gets damaged, and the action degrades quickly.

Oh well, great in concept, not great in reality.

I had my peak eiger in copper with the momentary switch for 2 years and for the longest time it wouldn't work properly until i dug the pill out yesterday (horrible process). I found out that the copper had oxidised behind the pill and gave it a clean and popped the pill in after removing the delrin o-ring so I don't have to repeat the digging process ever again.

Sad to say, it still doesn't work very well. I always feel like I have to overtighten the head to get it on full mode and with the 10440, it doesn't ramp up smoothly. But at least its working again. I'll probably need to find one from ebay but can someone send me the link, please? I love the form factor of the eiger and always thought they are bombproof, or is it just mine?