Olight M1X Striker (XM-L2, 2x CR123A/1x 18650, 1000 lumens) Review

kj2

Flashaholic
2940yft.jpg

nv8dhc.jpg

Olight has released a new light, in their self-defense section. The M1X Striker, which is the successor of the M18 Striker. The M1X shares the same looks, but has more output, modes and improved runtimes.
They added a side-switch for mode changing.
The stainless steel strike bezel is still present, for defense purposes. Using a XM-L2 cool white led, the M1X has a max of 1000 lumens.

The packaging:

The M1X comes in a see-through plastic box, with information and specs printed on it.

2u6lg5h.jpg
k99j81.jpg

104enif.jpg
282ho2o.jpg

so02ro.jpg

The M1X comes with a manual, Olight leaflet, CR123 battery magazine, lanyard and spare o-rings. Pocket-clip is already attached to the light.

15s5x69.jpg

Features and Specifications: (given by Olight)

* Beam Distance: 190m
* Candela: 9,000cd
* Waterproof Rating: IPX8 (waterproof up to 2 meters)
* Impact Rating: 1.5m
* LED: Cree XM-L2 CW
* Compatible Batteries: 2 x CR123A or 1 x 18650
* Dimensions: 136mm (Length), 26mm (Diameter)
* Weight: 80g (excluding batteries)

MSRP: 69.95USD

1035yx1.png

The M1X steps-down, if needed, after 5 minutes to prevent over-heating. It's very honest from Olight to mention the step-down in the specifications. Most manufactures don't mention it so clearly.

The manual gives information on specs, user interface and more. Always handy to read before usage ;)

2v1t4br.jpg

k05awy.jpg

2yo8foo.jpg
vy6pg7.jpg

s3hq2p.jpg
2ef5ldi.jpg

30mny2p.jpg
34zeey8.jpg

As you can see, the M1X can headstand but it can't tailstand because of the protruding tail-switch. The pocket-clip is reversible, so you can choose to carry head-up or head-down.
The side-switch features a low-voltage warning led, which lights-up red when it's time to change or charge the battery. The strike-bezel is aggressive, but it won't tear-up your pants.
Knurling is quite smooth. Most grip I've on the light, comes from the clip. I wish the knurling was more aggressive, so you would've enough grip even when wet or when wearing gloves.
There are small ridges on the side-switch to provide so grip.

It isn't possible to remove the strike bezel, but it's possible to unscrew the whole bezel, which gives you access to the reflector. There is a o-ring to keep water out, but you
do want to make sure, the bezel is tightened.

21mb3f6.jpg
v9feo.jpg

5ari9j.jpg
jfypv6.jpg

Anodizing is quality is good, although my review-sample has some chips. But that happens often with review-samples ;)
Laser engraving is nicely white and sharp.

qp3sl5.jpg
1535ste.jpg

ra6xzq.jpg

Low-voltage indicator in the side-switch.

User Interface:

To turn the light On, fully click the tail-switch. Click again to turn Off. The M1X has mode memory for any mode.
When On, click the side-switch to cycle between modes. Press and hold the side-switch for about one second, to enter Strobe. When you enter Strobe this way, and you would turn Off the light, it will turn On
in Strobe the next time.
From Off you can enter moonlight mode. Press and hold the side-switch and then click the tail-switch.

From Off half press once for momentary, two half presses for High and half press three times for Strobe.

dv1i0.jpg

Nicely centered led with smooth reflector.

Tail-switch is easy to operate, because it protrudes. Even in dark, the switch is easy to find. The side-switch can be tricky to find, at night.
The lanyard can be attached to the tailcap.

1zv31w5.jpg

24o0bcx.jpg
2guz8dx.jpg

Dual-springs for extra shock resistance.

Threads are well cut, and came very well lubed out of the box.

1zyhiz4.jpg
2wn0ftt.jpg

Size comparison:

20avqyg.jpg

Olight 18650, Fenix TK12 (TK09), Olight R20, Olight M1X, Fenix PD35

Indoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 1/100 sec, f/4.5, auto WB - Canon 500D. Light approx 0.25m / Camera 0.75m away from wall. Eagletac 18650 batteries were used.
M1X moonlight not on photo.

22ga6u.jpg
wwka6r.jpg
2149wrl.jpg
2rc7vgm.jpg

14348977581153941.gif

2h52pdy.jpg
2hr0tx4.jpg
2vsnofl.jpg
2w6wge9.jpg

14348980841153962.gif

14348981551153956.gif

Outdoor Beamshots:
ISO400, 2.5 sec, f/5 - Path about 60 meters deep.

125jc6g.jpg
10dxlhl.jpg

2vm6g6r.jpg
2q3wzma.jpg

Conclusion:

The M1X is a nice new addition to the Olight line-up. It's very bright and with his metal teeth, bad guys (or girls ;) ) will probably think twice.
Operation of the light is simple, although you must remember what your last used mode was. Entering Turbo from Off, while you used the Low mode last, is tricky. Two half presses in a stressful situation,
is almost impossible to do. I do like, that you can have Strobe directly from Off. But yet again, that mode has to be last used. A big positive is that you can change the clip position for head-down or up carry.

All-in-all the M1X has received his place in my EDC-rotation. The clips holds on tightly and the strike bezel doesn't tear-up my pants. Because you've such a wide output range with this light,
you can use it for multiple tasks.

M1X Striker was supplied by Adola for review, on behalf of Olight.

Last edited:

WarRaven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review, well done.

Though this is way too aggressive for a normal Joe like myself I can understand it may be just the ticket for others.

Bizarro beam distortion, that on top of crenelated bezel make sure its in someone else's pocket.

Have a great one.

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review, well done.

Though this is way too aggressive for a normal Joe like myself I can understand it may be just the ticket for others.
Bizarro beam distortion, that on top of crenelated bezel make sure its in someone else's pocket.
Have a great one.
Thank you :)

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the review!

The one perplexing design decision, to me, is the decision to make HIGH instantly accessible from off, rather than TURBO. Can you confirm the manual is correct? Two half presses from off gets you to high, not turbo -- only way to get to turbo is to turn the light on and click the side switch in sequence (or else count on memory mode from off)?

Realize it would add cost, but the other nice thing might be replaceable bezels ... strike bezel at night, lower profile crenelated bezel at other times, maybe...

kj2

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review!

The one perplexing design decision, to me, is the decision to make HIGH instantly accessible from off, rather than TURBO. Can you confirm the manual is correct? Two half presses from off gets you to high, not turbo -- only way to get to turbo is to turn the light on and click the side switch in sequence (or else count on memory mode from off)?

Realize it would add cost, but the other nice thing might be replaceable bezels ... strike bezel at night, lower profile crenelated bezel at other times, maybe...

Checked it. Used High as last used mode. Single half press from Off, gives me High ( of course ;) ). Two half presses is clearly brighter, so it must be Turbo.

AFAIK, Olight didn't use a 'Turbo' mode before. Think therefore there is a mis-print between manual and packaging. For example: the M3XS case label says Turbo is the highest mode. The manual talks about High being the highest.

Replaceable bezel would be nice. I can imagine some people don't need a strike bezel, like this one. I'm sure Olight reads this forum/topic, so they maybe can include it with coming lights.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick reply! That's what I was hoping, it's a mis-print in the manual. Direct access to high rather than turbo, on a light that has a turbo, didn't seem to make sense.

Replaceable bezel has a lot of uses,to my mind. Low-profile bezel for daily social/work carry, but aggressive bezel for night carry. Low-profile bezel to carry through security checkpoint, switch to aggressive bezel onsite. Low-profile bezel for when I lend the light to my kids. This is what I love about the Klarus XT11 -- it doesn't actually have two bezels, just one crenelated bezel, but you can remove that crenelated bezel and just end up with a smooth bezel underneath.

Omenwolf

Newly Enlightened
User Interface:

To turn the light On, fully click the tail-switch. Click again to turn Off. The M1X has mode memory for any mode, except for moonlight.

Mine has mode memory for moonlight.

kj2

Flashaholic
User Interface:
To turn the light On, fully click the tail-switch. Click again to turn Off. The M1X has mode memory for any mode, except for moonlight.
Mine has mode memory for moonlight.
That's true. Clearly a mistake. Thanks :)

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Excellent review.

Was going to buy another Surefire E2D Ultra but this new Olight Striker looks like where the smart monies' at.

Javora

Enlightened
Great review! Sadly this light would get me fired at work because of the bezel. Otherwise I would buy this light.

SVT-ROY

Enlightened
I have compared the older 800lm M18 vs the M1X this past week. I still prefer the old version. I didn't realize how small the M18 was. Adding lumens added size. It's a dam fine looking light and I do enjoy it! The woman runs the M18 anyway.

Novan3

Newly Enlightened
Can you comment on the durability potential of the light?

The last Olight I had, M20-SX, the rubber of the clicky switches developed a rip in less than 2 months of use.

kj2

Flashaholic
Can you comment on the durability potential of the light?

The last Olight I had, M20-SX, the rubber of the clicky switches developed a rip in less than 2 months of use.

That's something time will tell. It's not built overly tough, with extra tick walls and heavy switch. I'm sure it can handle some beating but using it 'military' style will probably kill it.

jjwolf

Newly Enlightened
Great review thanks...aided me in purchasing one!

For me, using the light as my duty AND edc light it's perfect! I just ensure before a shift that i have it on turbo mode ready for any situations. The ability to have what my old Klarus NT10 did on top of a 1000 lumen mode is brilliant.

For real world use as well, the beam pattern to me is near perfect (apart from the odd edges due to the bezel). It seems to have a perfect balance of throwing light a long way with the hotspot area and flooding the surrounding areas with the rest.

I'm well chuffed. And for £70 i got it, a charger, a battery and an LED LENSER a5!

Prepped

Enlightened
Apparently this thing must not have been a hit. It's gone on the Olight website. Shame, because I was about to pick one up.