REVIEW: Lumintop TOOL AAA (XP-G2 , 1xAAA/10440)

realista

Enlightened
for submission in the Reviews forum
xF6Qai4.jpg

(i am not so good to write in english, i am surely making a lot of grammar error, so please be compliant with me. I accept suggestions and corrections if you wanna point me where i wrote a "strange phrase" and suggest me the correct way to express myself in the english language)

First impressions:

Shipped from: Banggood

At first glance it seems like a shrunked standard flashlight, keeping all proportions in a good way, difficult to find in small aaa flashlights.
This is the NEW model of lumintop tool, it DOES use the XP-G2 led with 3 modes instead the old one XP-G with 2 modes.
I cannot find official info of this newer model in the lumintop official page, but some online reseller write which this one is capable to use a lithium 10440. (and i tested it)

fnpR9OS.jpg

yhWOjaZ.jpg
EbUN4ms.jpg
1jF8TTd.jpg
gBaKE3v.jpg
HFsuixa.jpg

Modes and estimated lumens:

Switch type: MECHANICAL
There are " 3 " modes in the following order:
Med – hi - low
My estimated lumens are 80/100 with nimh and 300 with my Efest IMR 10440

Compared to my olight i3s , the tool is slightly brighter (fairly similar) on nimh maybe just because its tint is a little cooler than the i3s, and you know cooler tint appear brighter to eye. On 10440 both are comparable ( i have only 1x 10440 so it's impossible to compare both at same moment)

>>>LIGHT >>> The angle of refraction:

D4lm4vx.jpg

Weight and dimensions measurements (made myself, not by specs):

This flashlight weighs precisely 14 gr
Height 8,2 cm
Diameter 1,1/1,2 cm central tube
Head diameter 1,9 cm

Construction quality:

It's a really high quality tiny flashlight, everythig seems made in perfect way.
The most attractive feature is the rear switch, hard to find on 1xAAA flashlight, and i prefer it instead of the twisty design.
Did you notice my estimated lumens with a 10440 battery?
I compared it with my thrunite tn12 2014 at medium , (that's officially rated at 280 lumens by thrunite , but SELFBUILT estimated in his review 330Lm) and i found that this lumintop at Hi is EQUAL if not slightly better ( just 5/10%) than it.
It's impressive.....but it warms up quite fast.

Lanyard hole: PRESENT (two)

Threads came FULLY GREASED and there's an additional o-ring included

cdwVXwX.jpg

t1nF6mJ.jpg

coVNcXp.jpg

6oysDKb.jpg

j0Swv5a.jpg

9SFhfUp.jpg

Led Tint, reflector and lense:

The led is well centered and its tint is pure white, tending to cold
Reflector made of: ORANGE PEEL – not tested if made of plastic or aluminum
Lense made of: GLASS

6rxsGBv.jpg

IJ3C1Gs.jpg

Outside beamshot at 25 meters, only at FULL power (same place for all my reviews)

tvFixVH.gif

Wall beamshot at 250 centimeters, from lower to higher power (same place for all my reviews)

ZLeGUy9.gif

Ceiling bounce test with LUXmeter:
cvJSNRu.jpg
ALZVwja.jpg

Nv6BuPm.png

PROS:

- About 300 lumens with my 10440 efest
- good priced
- overall construction quality
- does have rear mechanical switch

CONS:

- can't find a real con, except for the reduced recommended runtime with 10440 due to excessive heat production ( but it is NORMAL) .

Final thoughts and why you should buy it:

I am not a flashlight veteran but i think that for the price it is more than you can expect for a flashlight.
Lumintop seems to be a reliable brand , this item is sold at an affordabe price.... and if you prefer to use (like me)a real mechanical switch in all your flashlight i must recommend this one.

Thanks for reading.....
….and if you notice some bad written phrases, feel free to correct me suggesting the right way to write it!! :)

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Nice!

This is by far my most used flashlight :)

Don't you use the clip, btw? At least I didn't see it in the pictures.

ven

Flashaholic
What a fantastic review :thumbsup: I agree ,a great little light for the money and i like the clicky too. Only issue i found and its a cosmetic one,living on work keys it soon scuffed(as pretty much any light that has been there with anodizing ) . After a few months issue free use but a very well worn look,i replaced with the thrunite tiS . Its been on a couple of weeks and still looks like new..........

How it is now(actually a good angle for the tool,with its replacement..............for now)

realista

Enlightened
sorry i forgot to attach pictures of the clip.
i RARELY use them on my flashlights.... i don't like them :)

thank you at all members!

you are right VEN, for keychain is better to use a stainles steel edf flashlight or a titanium one instead a colored aluminum one.
In fact, i always use with my keychain an olight i3s, which i prefer because is impossible to involontary activate it, being a rotatory switch ;) instead a clicky one.
and the GOLD COLOR of the i3s is really better to "hide" scracthes that may occur in everyday use. a BLACK anodization will sureli NOT mask every defect of scratch .... so, if you have to choose a colored edc, choose a gold colored one !

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
@Ven,

Indeed, I also noticed that mine wore out a lot quicker than other lights I've had even though I don't attach it to the keys. Probably the anodizing is just not that perfect, but apart from that, the light is awesome :D

Javora

Enlightened
Great review Realista. The low mode on the Lumintop says it's rated at 1.5 lumen. How close does it compare to the TN12 firefly mode? Also the box has an option for stainless steel lights. Does this light come in stainless steel?

Lumintop Flashlight

Newly Enlightened
Great review Realista. The low mode on the Lumintop says it's rated at 1.5 lumen. How close does it compare to the TN12 firefly mode? Also the box has an option for stainless steel lights. Does this light come in stainless steel?

Still not yet. Lumintop don't launch the stainless steel TOOL AAA at present. Will keep your guys updated if we launch the SS version in the future:).

rjking

Enlightened
Don't forget the horde waiting for the copper version too. :thumbsup:

realista

Enlightened
i measured i3s and lumintop *head* diameter. SAME DIAMETER 1,9cm

but central body diameter on lumintop is 1,1/1,2cm

Prepped

Enlightened
Perfect! This review is exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated, and I'm glad to know that a 10440 battery will work and give such an outstanding output. :devil:, although Lumintop, a copper version sure would be nice.... :whistle:

My only gripe with this, is that I wish the pocket clip was deeper. I like my pocket clip items to ride deep in my pocket. I'm not too fussed about the anodizing. I like a worn look on my gear.

Update: 8/28/15

Just got it in the mail! Absolutely over the moon with it. I was on the hunt for the best AAA clicky flashlight and I'm pretty sure I've found it. Very happy with my purchase.

Last edited:

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm glad to know that a 10440 battery will work

It might work, but its not rated for the voltage and has no voltage cutoff circuit protection (use a protected cell instead Efest IMR 10440):
http://www.lumintop.com/tool-aaa.html
Working Voltage0.9v-1.5v

Congrats on your light, glad you like it. There is a copper one with N219 in the works, currently pending negotiations to get rid of the PWM.. (Im not holding my breath on that)

Last edited:

crampedson

Newly Enlightened
I'm surprised the tool's anodizing wears away so easily despite the claim the anodizing is Type III (on their website at http://www.lumintop.com/tool-aaa.html). My last EDC (Olight O'pen) got nary a scratch with keys in the same pocket for over a year. Still got one in the mail tho!

EDIT: I think perhaps the scratched ones mentioned above are the old revision with a XP-G and Type II anodizing.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently got the Tool and I really like it. Just found out that the Ti3 head will fit and function on the Tool body so you get a Ti3 with clicky. Pretty cool. Thanks for the review!

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last edited:

realista

Enlightened
thank you for the infos !!! and pictures are really nice

Last edited: