Zebralight SC600w Mk III HI - Pocket Thrower

jak

Enlightened
Looks like Zebralight is adding a thrower to its inventory according to their comparison spreadsheet.
Based off of the SC600, it will have the "Cree XP-L HI" LED, and presumably a smooth reflector. 1050 Lumens of PID throw.
It will even support 2 x CR123 batteries (with limited support).

"First mk3 (limited 2CR123 support, output up to 6V LED), unprotected 18650 only"

Time for me to start saving again... $95. Pre-order August 2015, ships Feb. 2016*.

*my prediction

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
:popcorn: will certainly be following this light. Start to like ZL more and more. SC5 and SC32w are my weekend EDC lights.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wonder what the throw would be like with a 1.25" smooth reflector and the xpl- hi with 1000 lumens. I'm thinking around 350m? It'd be very nice to have something that can do that that can somewhat get away with fitting in your pocket.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Zebralight might be moving away from their traditional floody lights. I mean, the SC32 has less of an orange peel on their reflectors, the SC5 is smooth. And now we have this. Too bad, in a way. I always thought their floody lights were pretty good for many uses.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
At the time of buying an SC62 series light, I didn't find much reason to get an SC600 series light. It was quite literally near the same performance but smaller.

With these new XPL-HI SC600s, maybe Zebralight is aiming to make the SC600 series more thrower based, while the SC62 and upcoming SC63 series will be more flood based.

markr6

Flashaholic
Awwwwww sheeet! Starting off with the neutral white again. Way to go ZL :)

Still a side click but I'm used to those now. Shorter than the SC600 though? Must be getting more throw from a smoot-as-glass reflector and the brighter LED.

I'm going to be all over this as usual.

jak

Enlightened
Wonder what the throw would be like with a 1.25" smooth reflector and the xpl- hi with 1000 lumens. I'm thinking around 350m? It'd be very nice to have something that can do that that can somewhat get away with fitting in your pocket.

I'm wondering if it will match, or even out-throw, a Nitecore EA41 or EagleTac TX25C. If it does, I would be the first to pre-order. I like the size of the EagleTac, but the interface was dismal. And the Nitecore is great, but not pocket-friendly.

Looks like Zebralight might be moving away from their traditional floody lights. I mean, the SC32 has less of an orange peel on their reflectors, the SC5 is smooth. And now we have this. Too bad, in a way. I always thought their floody lights were pretty good for many uses.

I don't think they're moving away from floods, it seems to me they're just expanding into throw. They still have plenty of flood available.

Shorter than the SC600 though? Must be getting more throw from a smoot-as-glass reflector and the brighter LED.

I'm going to be all over this as usual.
Interesting though that it's .1" shorter. Could it be the head, or perhaps it would use the new tailcap design that's on the SC5? (Or both)

Haha, I thought you gave up on ZL with the SC5. Mine too had the purple eye, but I received a replacement that is spectacular. Additionally, it's actually a really handy light.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Only if they add a side LED like the Sunwayman C22C. There is a MacGyver in me that wants things that can do multiple things.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was holding off on the mk2 but if this is a thrower, I will need to budget for a mk2 soon if they stop production. Perhaps the sc62 will solely be the floody version

gkbain

Newly Enlightened
Been toying with the idea of getting a sc600 but will wait to see how this develops. Really like my ZLs.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aha another pocket thrower. My wallet going to get lighter.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Unprotected 18650 only? That's annoying... but at least it only takes once cell to power it...

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will probably use a single Efest IMR 18650 3100mAh for this light.

Amelia

Enlightened
This seems like the latest attempt by Zebralight to try and become something it's not.
Small, floody, side-switch lights with brilliant UI and a nice variety of battery and emitter options to choose from. That's what Zebralight has come to mean for me. I'd rather see things like Nichia 219 emitters, better potting and sealing, and more eneloop optimized lights like the SC5... instead of Zebralight trying to be "everybody else" with tail clicky tactical throw lights.

Just my opinion.

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
This seems like the latest attempt by Zebralight to try and become something it's not.
Small, floody, side-switch lights with brilliant UI and a nice variety of battery and emitter options to choose from. That's what Zebralight has come to mean for me. I'd rather see things like Nichia 219 emitters, better potting and sealing, and more eneloop optimized lights like the SC5... instead of Zebralight trying to be "everybody else" with tail clicky tactical throw lights.

Just my opinion.

Plus, despite what anyone else says, floody lights are just more useful to most people most of the time compared to throwers. The fact is, they had a winning formula. Why rock the boat based on a hunch of what you THINK people MIGHT rather have?

Unprotected 18650 only? That's annoying... but at least it only takes once cell to power it...

Zebralights already have built-in overdischarge protection. No need for protected cells. Especially if using unprotected cells only will make for a smaller light.

Last edited: